News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bought two 440/727's!!

Started by Harper, December 29, 2017, 08:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

After a little reading, you will find that the majority of the cost is how good the parts are going into it and not the labor. I can eat up your 1200 REALLY fast in just basic upgrades.
http://www.aandatrans.com/Departments/Chrysler-727-Trans.aspx

Harper

if i splurge and have anyone build my trans for me, it will be Dynamic Racing Transmissions, i have been dealing with them for 25 years, his sons have taken over the business and Mr Harold has retired, still their knowledge is top notch.
yes parts for a basic rebuild are cheap a complete standard rebuild is $150, redline racing clutchs and steels are overpriced and too expensive and serve no purpose in a street driven trans imho,  I would rather spend my money on rollerized plenatarys, on the stall convertor, or trans cooler but that is just me. And yes that can still add up and burn up money very fast.   
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

c00nhunterjoe

I think the tci or b and m kits are twice the cost of the a&a kit that comes with redline clutches.... just throwing that out there. And if you are doing a street car, why are you considering pricey a high stall converter and rollerized parts again? Russ, bsb67, is running low 11s on a bone stock converter and stock suspension with a car that nearly purrs at idle. Now trans cooler- hell yes, spend the money on a good one by all means.

garner7555

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 01, 2018, 05:43:44 PM
I think the tci or b and m kits are twice the cost of the a&a kit that comes with redline clutches.... just throwing that out there. And if you are doing a street car, why are you considering pricey a high stall converter and rollerized parts again? Russ, bsb67, is running low 11s on a bone stock converter and stock suspension with a car that nearly purrs at idle. Now trans cooler- hell yes, spend the money on a good one by all means.

I agree on the cooler.  I actually put a transmission cooler in my car out of a modern diesel truck.  It's bigger than my A/C condenser, but should help my tranny to live a long and healthy life.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

sccachallenger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 31, 2017, 01:25:27 AM
Thats a short tail, non slip yoke trans... only goodnfor guts parts.

What he said! never seen one used in pass car.

Harper

QuoteI think the tci or b and m kits are twice the cost of the a&a kit that comes with redline clutches.... just throwing that out there. And if you are doing a street car, why are you considering pricey a high stall converter and rollerized parts again? Russ, bsb67, is running low 11s on a bone stock converter and stock suspension with a car that nearly purrs at idle. Now trans cooler- hell yes, spend the money on a good one by all means.

oh at this point i will be running a stock stall, and a factory rebuild, with good clutchs, with possibly a shift kit, and a nice big stacked plate cooler. The roller parts would be nice, but... There are other places to spend my $$.

i am so dam hard headed, its hard to "think stock" when all i have is performance in mind. I promise i am trying, thanks for reminding me time and time again...  :icon_smile_wink:

1968 Dodge Charger

c00nhunterjoe

Match the converter to the complete car package, valve body reprograms are always a good thing, scatter shield.

Harper

I will go with the stock convertor for now, and stock trans... unless i get to feeling it. I wished i could spurge and get a built trans, stall and such, but for now i will settle for new gaskets in the engine, fresh hemi orange on the covers, block/heads, and oil pan. May even put one of those fancy wind age trays in it that you shared the link on.

what oil pan is a 6 pack oil pan? are they cheap? would it require a different pickup? where do you get yours from?
1968 Dodge Charger

c00nhunterjoe

I have a moroso 7 qt pan on mine. I think you are refering to the hemi 6 qt pan. Looks like the stock one but slightly deeper. All require the correct pickup for the said pans. Summit racing carries them, as does jegs and mancini.

Harper

i had a miladon on my bbf

i just hate to change so much, i was not impressed with moroso back when i bought mine, for the price the milodon does the job just as well for a lot less. But i am sure that has changed, the prices are probably right there together now days.

so what pan do i need rear sump, front sump, middle sump to fit my 69 charger with stock 69 k member?
1968 Dodge Charger

c00nhunterjoe

Its all about the same. I like the fit of the moroso for my app. It had clearances for the steering linkage, holds the required oil i wanted, was priced right, and i have no leaks. Only sits about 1/4-1/2" below the kframe.