News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why are the wheel wells so big?

Started by bull, April 27, 2006, 01:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I was just wondering why Chrysler made the wheel wells so big on the 2nd generation Charger? Back when these cars were new there were very few tires made that were more than 6" or 7" wide, so why all that space? Did skinny tires lost inside massive wheel wells look cool back then? Were the Chrysler executives able to look into the future and see the advent of wide tires? Or was this a NASCAR thing where the wide-treaded cars that raced on the circle track had to be exact copies of the ones you bought off the showroom floor?

Ghoste

So you could fit wider tires under there such as racing slicks. ;)  It's funny to think of them as too big.  All my brand X friends are endlessly whining about how tiny their wheelwells are and that is the one thing they envy about Mopars blah, blah, blah.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Ghoste on April 27, 2006, 05:33:33 AM
So you could fit wider tires under there such as racing slicks. ;)  It's funny to think of them as too big.  All my brand X friends are endlessly whining about how tiny their wheelwells are and that is the one thing they envy about Mopars blah, blah, blah.
Yep,the factory knew that things were geared towards racing so they did their part to help
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Silver R/T

so that 15x10 would fit in there perfectly
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

miamivice

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on April 27, 2006, 04:01:53 PM
               Yep,the factory knew that things were geared towards racing so they did their part to help

why didnt they just put wide tires in the back???  those little 6 - 7 inch tires look funny in there, as bull stated. 

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on April 27, 2006, 04:01:53 PM

I think the 3rd gens are geared more towards racing.  The passenger side is wider and different then the drivers side.

Todd

Ghoste

Same reason most old Mopars came with steel wheels and dog dish caps.  The first thing the owners did when they got them home, was change the wheels and tires.
Also, the tire availability for the street wasn't as extensive as it is today.  Those 7.75 X 14 bias plies were a typical street tire then.   Racing slicks were another story.  If you were in a class which allowed a wider tire but mandated stock spring locations and wheel wells, then the Chrysler products had it going on big time.
Look in the wheel well of a Mustang or Chevelle sometime and think about how wide a slick you could stuff in there.

squeakfinder

I read in Mopar collectors guide that the designer of the 68 wanted fatter tires on the car. But the bean counter's wouldn't hear it.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

295/50/15's on the back of mine.

2fast4u

WHY!!!!!????                                         :D
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

2fast4u

why ask why I always say..................

2fast4u

And my fav by RD..................

Silver R/T

what size are those tires on blue one
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Arthu®

I dunno exactly but it is owned by Ying and the car is a shade of purple I believe. Anyways the tires are huge 325 if I recall correctly not my cup of tea but each to each own.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Sweet T

All this talk about big wells and fat tires brings the question how wide can I go?  I don't want any tire rub when I'm going sideways around a corner.  I was looking at 295/50/15 rear and 235/60/15 on the front.  It sounds like a pretty popular combo on here.  Any rubbing or tips for these sizes of tires?  I was also thinking of going with 16"s.  Has anyone put these on the 2nd gen., and if so what's a good tire size for these?
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

squeakfinder

I've got 235/60/15 in front and 295/50/15 in back. I almost think I could have gone with 245's in front. I wound up heating up the the fender brace's and smacking them with a hammer to get a little more clearance in front. And I cheaped out and put airshocks in back because there was some problems with rubbing when I had passenger's. Anyway, there's no clearance problems now.

NorwayCharger

Quote from: rotsparts on April 28, 2006, 05:41:19 PM

295/50/15's on the back of mine.

295/45/18 on mine.
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

bull

Quote from: rotsparts on April 29, 2006, 10:16:26 AM

I've got 235/60/15 in front and 295/50/15 in back. I almost think I could have gone with 245's in front. I wound up heating up the the fender brace's and smacking them with a hammer to get a little more clearance in front. And I cheaped out and put airshocks in back because there was some problems with rubbing when I had passenger's. Anyway, there's no clearance problems now.

If you look at the BFGoodrich tire size chart you'll notice that 295/50/15s and 245/60/15s are only .1" different in diameter. I don't know if or how much that really matters but they'll be a lot closer on RPMs per mile than other combinations. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/radial_ta.pdf

Sweet T

Thanks boys I'm still living in the 80's with my 14" Cragar SSTs and 235 60's.  Time to get with the now.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!