News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which is the 6 pack block?

Started by Vcodesuperbee, December 13, 2017, 06:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vcodesuperbee

Good Morning All,

Earlier this summer I purchased a 1970 B5 Blue, 4 speed, V code Roadrunner that is literally in thousands of pieces.  It's a rust free car but a major project so good and bad.  When I purchased the car the seller was a long time Mopar enthusiast and this was his last car so as part of the deal I got to clean his garage out and there was more than I bargained for.   The parts filled up the cab of my crew cab truck, the bed of it, the cab of the car, (what could be secured), and a 12 foot box truck front to back and top to bottom.  It's a bit overwhelming but will be worth it in the long run.  Here's my question, as part of the package I received three blocks, 2 6 pack blocks and 1 440 4 barrel block.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but I'm having trouble identifying which block is which.  I've attached a picture of two of the blocks, as they tested out fine at .40 over, the third block is going to need a sleeve so it's still at the machine shop and I do not have a picture of it right now but can get one if needed.  There's the back story to ask this question; can someone please tell me what these two blocks are please?  The date codes I understand, the casting numbers is what I'm struggling with.  I also purchased a V code 1970 Charger that is a project as well so I need to keep the two 6 pack blocks and then sell the regular 440 block. 

Well I can't attach the pictures because the files are too large so here are the casting numbers typed out below;

2536430-6 Dated 4-7 of 67------------I'm thinking this is the 4 barrel block, I don't think 6 packs were around in 67?

2536430-8 Dated 8-13 of 69-----------  I'm thinking this is the 6 pack block since the date code on both 6 pack blocks are supposed to be close to the build date of the car, (it does not have the original engine)

Thanks in Advance for helping a new Mopar guy!  :cheers:

John_Kunkel

The 8-13-69 casting would be for a '70 model year car. No 6-packs in '67.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Alaskan_TA

The 440 blocks are the same, regardless of induction.

To prove a 440 came in a 1970 model year car with a Sixpack or Six Barrel, you would have to match the partial VIN on the block to the car it came from.

Vcodesuperbee

Good to know, thank you for your help. :cheers:

maxwellwedge

What is on the top pad of the block?
It wont really confirm anything but the date, HP etc.

darbgnik

I thought the 6 pack engines were balanced differently, with different rods, but then, the rotating assembly would have to be in the block to see this difference.

The blocks themselves are the same AFAIK.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Y1CHARGER

All HP 440s in 1970 model year cars had the same "six pack" rotating assembly (rods and damper which is noticeably different) from the factory even if equipped with a 4bbl.  So a "F440  HP"  on the top pad is correct for a V code car.