News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Psi of fuel pump

Started by BrugeeRT, December 12, 2017, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrugeeRT

First technical question as a new member.  I just put in a new fuel pump and noticed the psi is rated at 5.5 and the pressure guage is showing 5.  I thought the range is 6-7.5 Psi?  How much of a difference does this make?  I have a 440 and it runs off a little gas down the carb but not from a key turn.  My next step is doing a carburetor rebuild but I'm wondering how much 1-1.5 psi matters.  Any input is appreciated.
Mark

cdr

it should run with 5.5 psi, something in the carb is plugged up.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

randy73

Did you check your filter?

If you are checking after the filter, it might be partially blocked and at what RPM did you check?

If the car is idling low then spec, that would account for it also and the 5.5 is the rating and will not flow at that all the time.

BrugeeRT

Thanks for the response.  It's a brand new fuel/vapor filter and the guage was after it.  I was having the issue before I put it on.  Not sure about the RPMs since I was just trying to get a pressure reading before it does but would have been a good idea though.  Hope a good carb cleaning/rebuild will do the trick.
Mark

BSB67

Quote from: BrugeeRT on December 12, 2017, 10:14:21 PM
I have a 440 and it runs off a little gas down the carb but not from a key turn. 

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

5 psi is plenty good enough and is not part of what ever problem you are trying to fix. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph