News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi clone dart I painted for a buddy

Started by cbrestorations, December 10, 2017, 03:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrestorations

I had to replace the right front frame rail, inner fenders, replace rocker supports up front, replace a driver rocker, driver door jamb, driver quarter panel, patch in a wheel house lip  and put on a frame jig to straighten out the front clip. Lots of body work later I painted it single stage black and then shot a 50/50 mix of single stage black and clear over the paint. https://www.facebook.com/chris.birdsong.5/posts/10208114949871441 Here a video of the car.

70 sublime

Looks great

How long did it take the car to go from first picture to last picture ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cbrestorations

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 10, 2017, 03:56:17 PM
Looks great

How long did it take the car to go from first picture to last picture ?

hard to say cuz it wasnt all at once but i would guess at 2 months all together. the frame rail, rocker, door jamb and inner fenders came from a donor car that i had to cut out aswell

Bob

Your creativity and skills are amazing.  :cheers:

Bob

Todd Wilson

lukedukem

Damn dude, Black is hard to paint, but you did great.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

aerolith

Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

70 sublime

Oh look
A Dodge Charger in the reflection  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cbrestorations

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 11, 2017, 09:01:53 AM
Oh look
A Dodge Charger in the reflection  :2thumbs:

That's a members charger, I think he more lurks and posts. The body shop he had the car at was doing a wonderful job (cough gag) and asked if I would work on it

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Kern Dog

Looks great.
I read that for the top coat, the single stage paint was blended together with clear? I have asked my local paint supplier about doing this and he was vague about it, almost as if he knew it was okay. I wondered if he wasn't allowed to say because the manufacturer wants them to stick to their guidelines.
You say it works though? Do you think it resulted in a better gloss than just paint alone?

cbrestorations

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 12, 2017, 11:57:48 PM
Looks great.
I read that for the top coat, the single stage paint was blended together with clear? I have asked my local paint supplier about doing this and he was vague about it, almost as if he knew it was okay. I wondered if he wasn't allowed to say because the manufacturer wants them to stick to their guidelines.
You say it works though? Do you think it resulted in a better gloss than just paint alone?

Way better shine and reflection over base coat clear coat

Kern Dog

Holy crap...I am going to try that! Thanks for the tip!   :2thumbs:

ws23rt

CLEARLY the panels were straight before paint. :2thumbs:
I like the idea of mixing color with the clear.  But how would the look be with a metallic paint?   

F8-4life

Huh? I'm no expert.
Are y'all saying a base coat, followed by multiple coats of clear and then a final coat of clear/ base color in a 50/50 recipe?

-woops, I guess I need to re-read before posting. Cool tip!

Todd Wilson

If I ever get rich I want to do a black 68 Dart SS Hemi and get someone to air brush a very sweet Genie on a carpet and name the car Magic Carpet Ride...........

Todd

cbrestorations

Quote from: ws23rt on December 13, 2017, 09:31:46 PM
CLEARLY the panels were straight before paint. :2thumbs:
I like the idea of mixing color with the clear.  But how would the look be with a metallic paint?   

cant do this type of painting method with metalics, only solid colors

djcarguy

Help why i cant see pix from some peoples post but others show up fine??  All i see is box with red X in it,but just some poster ,other see pix G8??

Also blocked from privite face book over forgotten pass an mixup on info...

Can someone explain or post clear pix, iam a Dart guy an like CB's work an builds??   THANKS DJ  ,,aka dart junkie

:shruggy:   :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs: :cheers:

BDF

Charger-Bodie

Coctailing single stage paint is an awesome way to get the depth of lacquer. With a good modern finish.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

DAY CLONA

CB, safe to assume that the "finished" paint pics, the Dart was cut and buffed?

Mike

cbrestorations

Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 16, 2017, 04:22:07 AM
CB, safe to assume that the "finished" paint pics, the Dart was cut and buffed?

Mike

yes, cut and buffed and cut and buffed and then polished

Kern Dog

The standard today seems to be MUCH higher than it was 15 years ago. In the 80s, a shine was all that was important. Nowadays the paint has to be as smooth as glass or we are not happy with it.

ws23rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 16, 2017, 02:05:52 PM
The standard today seems to be MUCH higher than it was 15 years ago. In the 80s, a shine was all that was important. Nowadays the paint has to be as smooth as glass or we are not happy with it.

Very nice body and paint work have always been tops within the car hobby.  Collectors fuss with details about stuff like correctness/originality, performance, etc. But what the car looks like at a glance will draw nearly everyone.
A "correct" car with every detail under the skin --in a museum has a draw of fewer and fewer as we age and die off.
The shape/design of these old cars in nice finish is what brings them to the eyes of everyone of all ages.   

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 16, 2017, 02:05:52 PM

Actually that's not true at all. In the 80s most high end stuff was painted with lacquer and it buff to a very high gloss and depth. It just isn't durable like urethane and and would lose some shine after a while. Buff it again and viola, shiny once more.