News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New carburetor problems

Started by Majestic77, October 25, 2017, 01:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majestic77

I just put a new carburetor on my 76 318 because the old Carter BBD was from a 74 or older and was leaking from the throttle shaft. After I put the new carb on she stalled out a few times but now she doesn't. I never had any transmission problems before this and I have had her up to 85 before. The main problems now is that at 15mph she shifts into second and then into third right after. But when she shifts into third she revs up first like she's in neutral. I have not adjusted anything on the carb yet except for the vacuum advance, I did change it to manifold but then put it back to ported with no real change. I can manual shift her and she shifts just fine into second but still messed up into third.

I apologise for how bad all of this is worded, please let me know if I need to explain anything more.

John_Kunkel

The throttle pressure linkage (often called kickdown linkage) that connects the carb lever to the transmission controls the upshift points, lengthen the linkage to make it shift later.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Majestic77

Hers is already all the way forward

c00nhunterjoe

Stupid question, but is it still attached at the trans?

Majestic77

I'm pretty sure it still is. She used to shift fine before the new carb and the linkage is all still connected.

Bronzedodge

What John K said above.  Something changed.  Compare the throttle stud locations on the two carbs.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

Majestic77

I will check that later today after I get home from work. New problem is that everytime I tap the gas in gear, she stalls. I drove her around for a while the other day and she never stalled on me. I have not changed anything.