News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some expert eyes...

Started by GruntyPants, April 28, 2006, 08:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GruntyPants

Hello all,
I've recently become the owner of one of my dream cars, a '69 Charger. My Dad bought it from some younger guys about 5 years ago who couldn't make it run, and I finally weaseled it away from him to clear up some shop space.
Anyway, I've been going through the car trying to understand what's there, what's not, and what kind of stuff I'm going to need to get her back on the road. I've been lazy and haven't looked up the codes on the trim plate, or even checked the VIN, but I was told that it was an original 440 R/T with a 4 speed. Currently is has what looks to be a 383 and a 3 speed. I got it running, but the thermo-quad was spewing fuel from the secondaries and flooding out. I've installed a Holley 650 double-pumper and hope to run the fuel lines this weekend and see what happens.
Back to the point.. I would like you folks to take a look at some of the pictures I have and let me know what you think I may actually have here. Right off I know that it seems to have '68 headlight doors, so I'm sure there may be more 'cross pollenation' of parts on this beast. Please take a look..

http://www.pricehouse.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=69Charger

Thanks for your time.
--
Shawn
'69 Charger R/T 383 4 Speed
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed
'67 Chevy C-10 250 3 on the tree
'00 Suzuki GSX-R 750 1-down, 5-up

69chargeryeehaa

only things i noticed were the center console looks like it's out of a challanger/cuda!!!!, and underhood you have no washer resivor, looks to be wrong rad for a BB, and that heater core hookup in the firewall looks totally different from mine, maybe it had A/C, other wise it looks correct.  it's easy to fake a R/T, it's really only the emblems on the headlight cover, and rear tail pannel, only way to know for sure is decode the VIN, or fender tag if you have one.  also i thought 68 and 69 headlight doors were the same? ??? , anyways nice car, looks like it's not a bad car to restore, how are the floors/trunk/frame? :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_cool:

Blown70

On the Dash the Vin if it is a R/T will be  XS29 ..... if non R/T it will be XP in 69

Also, 440 mag was the base power plant in an RT.

Tom

GruntyPants

Thanks for the info guys...
I was thinking the radiator seemed kind of small for a big block, looks like the one from my '56 chevy pickup. There are AC controls inside, and for whatever reason, it looks like someone has connected one side of the heater core to one side of the evaporator... Anyway, all that stuff will be worked out.
The headlight door has the R/T emblem on the far left side where the 'Charger' script should be on a '69. The pics of '68's have the R/T emblem where mine is.
The floors and trunk what I've seen of the frame look very good the only signs of rust are a bit around the rear window from where the vinyl top was I assume. I haven't jacked it up and really crawled under it yet (I've still got to finish my '69 Chevelle, and '67 Pickup).
Tonight I'll try to clean off the trim tag or make a pencil rubbing of it to get all the numbers, and check the VIN to see what I really have. The supposed original 440 is still at my dad's, it needs to have a sleeve put into one of the cylinders. Will there be a VIN derivative on the 440 block? Again, I'm used to GM stuff, so Mopars are a fun new game for me.

Thanks for the help and you'll be hearing a lot from me when I really get into this thing.
--
Shawn

Blown70

Quote from: GruntyPants on April 28, 2006, 09:52:18 AM
Thanks for the info guys...
I was thinking the radiator seemed kind of small for a big block, looks like the one from my '56 chevy pickup. There are AC controls inside, and for whatever reason, it looks like someone has connected one side of the heater core to one side of the evaporator... Anyway, all that stuff will be worked out.
The headlight door has the R/T emblem on the far left side where the 'Charger' script should be on a '69. The pics of '68's have the R/T emblem where mine is.
The floors and trunk what I've seen of the frame look very good the only signs of rust are a bit around the rear window from where the vinyl top was I assume. I haven't jacked it up and really crawled under it yet (I've still got to finish my '69 Chevelle, and '67 Pickup).
Tonight I'll try to clean off the trim tag or make a pencil rubbing of it to get all the numbers, and check the VIN to see what I really have. The supposed original 440 is still at my dad's, it needs to have a sleeve put into one of the cylinders. Will there be a VIN derivative on the 440 block? Again, I'm used to GM stuff, so Mopars are a fun new game for me.

Thanks for the help and you'll be hearing a lot from me when I really get into this thing.

IF it is a 69 The last digits of the dash vin will be on the passenger side of the block just above the oil rail..... 

Tom

Charger1973

Didnt RT cars also have an extra leaf in the right leaf springs?

Blown70

Quote from: charger1973 on April 28, 2006, 11:55:15 AM
Didnt RT cars also have an extra leaf in the right leaf springs?

Well at this point they may have been changed but I believe you are correct sir.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Like others have stated XP is a base model & XS would be an R/T

Definately not a real R/T if the 4 speed is original to the car  (cannot have A/C with a 4 speed 440 R/T car)

A/C & 383 w/4-speed could be gotten in a base XP Charger

Please register the car on my registry site.
Check the site out for more info.

If you have the fender tag I can decode it for you

www.1969chargerregistry.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

GruntyPants

Hey guys,
When I got home I decoded the VIN thanks to the YearOne catalog. XS29L9B398798 - Decodes to a '69 R/T Charger with 440 375hp built in Hamtramck MI.

Here's one picture of the fender tag:
--
Shawn

GruntyPants

Here's one with a bit more contrast to make out some of the fainter codes.
--
Shawn

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well theres your answer.... bottom line 2nd set of codes from the left (D32) Auto trans.

The 4-speed was added

ps---got your registry info :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

T5 - cool!

BTW, I didn't see the alternator delete option on the tag.

Looks like a good project.

Keep us posted with progress pics.

GruntyPants

I'm sure there's a code for 'trunk mounted alternator' cause that's what I've got right now.  ;D
Was there a standard rear-end for the R/T 440 Auto cars? I didn't seem to have any codes to let me know what ratio I should have. I would hope that when they put the 4 speed in they would have gone with a lower ratio... I'll need to jack it up and see if I can tell what I've got. Are there any codes on the axle housings that might tell me what lies inside?

Thanks
--
Shawn

8WHEELER

Quote from: GruntyPants on April 28, 2006, 10:36:38 PM
I'm sure there's a code for 'trunk mounted alternator' cause that's what I've got right now.  ;D
Was there a standard rear-end for the R/T 440 Auto cars? I didn't seem to have any codes to let me know what ratio I should have. I would hope that when they put the 4 speed in they would have gone with a lower ratio... I'll need to jack it up and see if I can tell what I've got. Are there any codes on the axle housings that might tell me what lies inside?

Thanks

The standard rear end for a 440 AT car would be an 8-3/4, and most likely a 323 gear.
The 440 4sp cars came standard with 354 Dana ''track pack'' next option 410 ''super track pack''

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

SeattleCharger

:thumbs:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.