News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee Crashes- Nova Scotia

Started by CAPER, August 29, 2017, 07:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F8-4life

Unlike alot of generals, his car has the og vectors

marshallfry01

I saw that on instagram this morning.  Made me sick to my stomach.  :'(
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Ghoste

I keep seeing those photos also, has anyone heard the full story yet?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Kern Dog

The body on that car is tweaked! It looks like the stunt cars on DOH that were actually jumped. I hope the guy is okay.

Ghoste

Tweaked is right.  Wonder where the hood flew off too? 

I'm surprised how well it held up considering how short the nose is now, that was a fair ol' impact !

Homerr

This certainly could have been mechanical or another drivers fault, but let's face it - it is most likely that this driver was pushing it too hard.  These cars a finite resource, if you truely love them treat them like it.

The hobby can only survive as long as not everyone has a "I wrapped a Charger around a telephone pole" story.  Rust is robbing cars on the other end of the spectrum.

Glad to hear the guy is going to be okay though.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Ghoste on August 30, 2017, 06:07:26 AM
Tweaked is right.  Wonder where the hood flew off too? 

its off to the right

marshallfry01

1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Ghoste

Wow, hood looks like it was headed back to the freeway then.  He done crashed her up real good this time.

orange383

I see somebody felt the need to try and hide the flag.  ::)

70 sublime

Quote from: orange383 on August 31, 2017, 11:27:15 AM

Look at the other pictures
It is only sitting on one side of the roof
Looks like a back board to carry someone on
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

6bblgt

it appears he was airborn (right front nose down) from the base of the rock pile to where the car came to rest

timmycharger

The windshield looks like it just fell out on impact?  :scratchchin:

orange383

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 31, 2017, 12:20:13 PM

Yeah seen 'em hence why I said try.
It looked like it was a nice charger.
My wife said this morning that people on Facebook are saying it was used in one of the Dukes movies. I don't if there's any truth in that.
It's a shame either way.

Cncguy

Quote from: orange383 on August 31, 2017, 02:39:00 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on August 31, 2017, 12:20:13 PM

Yeah seen 'em hence why I said try.
It looked like it was a nice charger.
My wife said this morning that people on Facebook are saying it was used in one of the Dukes movies. I don't if there's any truth in that.
It's a shame either way.

Yeah wouldn't it be crazy if its the same car Graveyard Carz just restored.

69bronzeT5

Was told by a friend local to the accident that the throttle may have got stuck wide open....
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: Cncguy on August 31, 2017, 03:52:12 PM

Yeah wouldn't it be crazy if its the same car Graveyard Carz just restored.

Damn that would be nuts hahah Restore a Pre-Jumped Car.. Back to Show Room condition.. :2thumbs: Then Get Jump again on a Free way  :scratchchin: :slap: and looks the same when it jumped in the Movie! :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: That would be one hack off a story! :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: I would not restore it again hahah..  LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfgTFX_LoOk  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :D
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

Cncguy

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 31, 2017, 07:57:45 PM
Was told by a friend local to the accident that the throttle may have got stuck wide open....

Yeah if my throttle gets stick I'm blowing up my engine before I destroy the whole car.

charger Downunder

Quote from: Cncguy on September 01, 2017, 06:44:53 AM

Yeah if my throttle gets stick I'm blowing up my engine before I destroy the whole car.

Just turn the key off
[/quote]

Being one who has written a car off due to a stuck throttle I can tell you there's milliseconds to make a decision. Turning the key off in hindsight is great but when your trying not to kill people it's not always the first thing that comes to mind. Next time yeah, I will probably reach for the key first due to experience. If I had a few more seconds I probably would had switched it off.

In my case the secondary rod over centered and jammed both the primararies and secondaries wide open. By the time I realized it was stuck, stabbed the pedal a few times and grabbed it to pull it back up (which didn't work anyways) it was too late. Only after the crash I jumped out, then ran back to turn the key off. Oil had splashed out the breather and caught fire on the header and the tach was reading 7000 rpm, luckily it popped out of gear or destroyed something inside.

I only had a lap belt on as well.

Cncguy

Quote from: charger Downunder on September 01, 2017, 07:07:10 AM
Quote from: Cncguy on September 01, 2017, 06:44:53 AM

In my case I would just push the clutch in.

Just turn the key off

Mike DC

P

R

N <---  

D

alfaitalia

Turning off the key is better. Sliding her into neutral might stop the crash...but will roast your motor. Turning it off should prevent both.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

JB400

Neutral still gives you power steering and brakes.

Mike DC

QuoteNeutral still gives you power steering and brakes.

Exactly.

The ignition key is step#2 but neutral is step #1.  Throwing a rod is cheaper than wadding up the car.  It hurts less too.

Once you hit neutral you've got at least a few seconds before the motor blows.  That's valuable time to get the car under control.

But yeah, it's easy to armchair-quarterback other people's driving mistakes.  We weren't there.

alfaitalia

Quote from: JB400 on September 01, 2017, 05:22:30 PM
Neutral still gives you power steering and brakes.

True...but you can still steering and brake without power assistance. I cant be the only one old enough to have been driving cars without power assistance for anything!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

One click back is good, two clicks could be just as bad if the steering locks.

8WHEELER

I had this happen to me four years ago, started passing two bicycles side by side in my lane. Got in the on coming lane doing 35 mph, then gave it have throttle. Then backed off after a couple seconds, and the throttle was stuck at half way. Through it in neutral looked down and I was doing 65 mph and the tach was pegged, then had to hit the key.

Took along time to get stopped, and thank god I was on a pretty strait road. Power steering and brakes, and having to use my hand controls and wide tires I was incredibly lucky I did to hit the guard rail for sure. If my wife had not been with me to help turning as the road started to turn it would have hit the right side of my car.

Found three chunks they looked like a walnut type shell just under the throttle area. After calming my wife down, she got out and found those small chunks. Checked the throttle and it felt fine. Started it up and the lifters were talking to me, shut it down, started it again and still bad, the third time was the charm it ran fine. Thank god for my triple valve springs as well, with my build and 12:5 to 1 compression it revs fast, still running fine, must had been some mice on the engine, they can get anywhere, bastards.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Kern Dog

I took the choke plate off a Demon 850 and sometime later the car developed a sticky throttle. I found a section of choke linkage was able to move and stick in place at about 1/2 throttle.

8WHEELER

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 02, 2017, 11:33:24 PM
I took the choke plate off a Demon 850 and sometime later the car developed a sticky throttle. I found a section of choke linkage was able to move and stick in place at about 1/2 throttle.

That is ironic, I run an 850 also, but I took every bit of the choke off, and this only happened the one time in 25 years. If I had not found those chunks under the throttle rod area, I would have checked else where.
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

VegasCharger

Quote from: 440 on September 02, 2017, 12:51:31 AM
One click back is good, two clicks could be just as bad if the steering locks.

No locking steering on 1969 Charger.