News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 oil pump bolt on block broken threads

Started by severin681, August 22, 2017, 10:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

severin681

Gah, so I have been building my 440 with the standard run of the mill issues that I've resolved myself up to this point. I was torquing down the oil pump bolts and as I was finishing on the long bolt I felt it give and spin with no further resistance. I always pull slow and steady with my torque wrench so I'm not sure what happened here (stuff?). The attached pics show roughly how far down the threads broken on the block and what it did to the bolt. Now my question is, do I run the same size tap for the thread and clean up the top, grab a tad longer bolt from the bolt store and proceed forward? This is for my own vehicle. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
1969 Dodge Charger SE - Hotrod Black - Mine.

I personally would use a tap to clean up any damage, measure how deep the threads are and use a longer bolt for better thread engagement making sure the bolt doesn't bottom out first.

The other option would be a helicoil but that would be an absolute last resort.

severin681

Quote from: 440 on August 22, 2017, 10:39:09 PM
I personally would use a tap to clean up any damage, measure how deep the threads are and use a longer bolt for better thread engagement making sure the bolt doesn't bottom out first.

The other option would be a helicoil but that would be an absolute last resort.

I appreciate it! I will do that. While I'm at it, I'll replace the other bolts as well. Get more bite for all of them. Thank you.

cdr

looks like the wrong bolts, is the pump a HV pump or stock pump.?  picture of bolts through the pump would help
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

severin681

Quote from: cdr on August 23, 2017, 12:08:14 AM
looks like the wrong bolts, is the pump a HV pump or stock pump.?  picture of bolts through the pump would help

Stock Pump replacement. The bolts ARE the wrong length. I didn't even think to check to see if the size would be different! I went back and realized they only stick out about 3/8~7/16. I kept as many of the old bolts as possible to reuse. I will now be checking all bolt run lengths out the back end of the remaining parts.

severin681

Your lucky it only looks like 2-3 threads are damaged in the block, the bolt looks a lot worse.

severin681

Quote from: 440 on August 23, 2017, 10:04:57 AM
Your lucky it only looks like 2-3 threads are damaged in the block, the bolt looks a lot worse.
For sure. There was a moment of sheer panic before I calmed down and started thinking! :lol:
Now I just have to solve the issue of my Edelbrock 750 Carb for my 440 (I just found all the issues people have using this setup). I'm going to try and exchange it at Jegs and see what they say. Thanks for your suggestions.