News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger how to change engine mounts??

Started by euroZ06, August 03, 2017, 03:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

Hi,

My 68 charger is at home in NY, and i live in montana. This weekend im gonna fly home and i wanted to replace driver side engine mount. Can anyone tell me how to? Ive done engine mount on another car in the past, but its been a while. What tool will i need? How much time? Special steps?

It has a stock383 in it
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

303 Mopar

Block of 2x4 wood, jack, unbolt exhaust, engine mount, and possibly fan shroud, loosen passenger side mount and you should be good.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

euroZ06

Do u know what size tools ill need? My brother doesnt have much, so id need to bring some with.
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

RECHRGD

On most of my projects on the '68 I usually end up emptying my 8 drawer Craftsman tool chest along with most of my other tools.  That's just the way it goes with me.
13.53 @ 105.32

dual fours

1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

69wannabe

The driver side is usually the one that breaks under the engine torque. If you are going to swap the mount I recommend going to a mount with the bolt all the way through it. It will hold up alot longer than a regular parts store mount. I have broken a cheap parts store mount before I got to the corner 1 block from my house  :shruggy: These mounts are bolted to a engine bracket, the bracket has three bolts holding it to the block and one long bolt holding it to the K frame.

You may want to jack the car up and put it on jack stands, not too high tho. Remove that one bolt from the mount/K frame and get a block of wood and take the jack and block of wood under the oil pan and jack up on the driver side of the pan and you may need to take your fan shroud loose to keep from breaking it. You may have to take the exhaust pipe loose or off of the manifold too like said above. Once you got the engine up some you got to get in there and take the three bolts holding the bracket to the engine and it will come out so you can swap the mount and go back together with it.

It's not the easiest thing I have ever done but it's straight forward and time consuming but a few hours and it will be over with..... Good luck!!!

severin681

On my mounts I have 3/4" and 11/16" bolt sizes. 3/4 for the rubber mount nut and 11/16 for the bolt and nut for the mount itself. Mines a 440 so I'm not sure if there is a difference :shruggy: :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger SE - Hotrod Black - Mine.