News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoration Shop (Old School Classics in Monee, Illinois)

Started by kevink, August 20, 2017, 08:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevink

Good Afternoon, It has been 3 years since my car was taken apart to be completely restored at my current restoration shop.Now this's  is a car I drove to the restoration shop. It was not a basket case. They have just now got it painted. I am looking to move my car to another shop. I am in Southeast Alabama but have been talking with Old School Classics in Monee, Illinois. Does anyone have any feedback or experience with these guys? In talking with them they seem great. But, so did the guy that has had my car for 3 years. This is a numbers matching 68 R/T Charger with the 440 4 speed so I want to get it done correctly. My daughter is getting married in November so I would love to have it done by then if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any light you might can shed.
Thanks,
Kevin K.

kevink

Just wanted to make sure my question did not get overlooked in my original post due to my rambling. 1. Have any of you had any experience with Old School Classics in Monee, Illinois? 2. If so, 👍🏻 Or  👎🏻?
Thanks,
Kevin K.

Troy

Sorry, no. But this is why I...
A) Try to do most everything myself even though it takes me 10 times longer.
B) Strongly urge anyone with a driveable car NOT take it apart. Just drive it and enjoy it!

I was not always this way but I have dealt with enough "professionals" now to change my mind. As with any project (not just car related ones), it's best to have a clear plan, goals, and expectations before you enter any agreement. Make it as precise as possible. Don't just say you want paint. Do you want mirror smooth show quality or just all one color (like what I usually require)? Do you want "factory correct" details or generally-close-enough? Do you want a running car with not a single issue when you pick it up? I had an engine swap done once and the the guy said "well, I figured you knew it wouldn't be perfect" when it took me a month making the thing run right. Well, yeah, if I wanted to do all the hard work (dropping in a block and bolting it to the engine mounts and transmission is the easy part!) I wouldn't have paid someone else. :eyes: You now have a finish date as a goal. I'd suggest you move that up (if possible) or there will be a mad dash at the finish line and you take the chance of not having a car at all. Don't let the "nice to have" date turn into compromises on quality though. If you want it done in such a way that it will take 6 months then don't force it into 3 months and forever regret how it turned out. It's hard to think of spending even more time once it's been this long - and even harder to think of throwing more and more money into it but make sure you get what you've been dreaming of in the end and you'll be able to accept the time and money a little easier. Not so if it costs a lot, takes forever, and still comes out below expectations.

If the current shop has it painted, that's usually the "hump" in a restoration. Things can go back together fairly quickly - assuming all the sub-assemblies are ready to install. Are you worried that it will take another 3 years for them to assemble it?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: kevink on August 20, 2017, 08:10:37 PM
I am in Southeast Alabama but have been talking with Old School Classics in Monee, Illinois.

I would personally not want my car more than a convenient drive away from my house. But I'm a paranoid SOB when it comes to putting myself at a disadvantage with a huge chunk of my own change at stake.

However, I see your dilemma with the wedding upcoming and the time constraints. I can't comment on Old School Classics, but I do wish you luck either way.

70B5Cuda

I have three rules I live by.

1. Never say, I'm in no rush". you will get pushed around/pushed to the bottom

2. I require the shop to be a short drive away so I can pop in and see whats really happening.

3. I would also write a contract that requires you to settle/pay every $1,000 or $2,000. That way you can monitor progress against your dollar. The contract should also say that the outstanding balance can never exceed $2,000 (example). That way the balance can't get rung up on you as the project nears completion....when the shop has you in an inescapable position.
_
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

carman

This place is not far from me never met anybody that had something done there. I do believe he is the same guy that is always selling chargers on Chicago craigslist. This is there web site and some of the chargers I see are the ones always on craigslist. Not trying to bad mouth.

http://osccoachworks.com/

kevink

Thanks guys, a member here pointed me in the right direction. I believe it is gonna work out fine. Not before the wedding but it is gonna work out.

TPR

Quote from: carman on August 24, 2017, 05:19:23 PM
This place is not far from me never met anybody that had something done there. I do believe he is the same guy that is always selling chargers on Chicago craigslist. This is there web site and some of the chargers I see are the ones always on craigslist. Not trying to bad mouth.

http://osccoachworks.com/

That's a lot of Chargers in one spot!
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

fizz

Straight line customs in Burnsville mn. 952-367-6542.