News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 passenger side axleshaft removal

Started by richf, August 15, 2017, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richf

Hi guys, I've been working on converting my 68 to rear disc brakes, and have had to pull the axleshafts to mount the brackets. The driver's side axleshaft was a piece of cake, but the passenger side will not come out. I know this side has the end play adjuster, and I removed the small lock already. The axleshaft now has about .25 inch endplay. The flange and drum backing plate are not seized to the studs, they seem to be loose. So why won't the shaft come out? I've been using the "drum mounted backwards as a slide hammer" trick to no avail.
1968 Charger 318/904 project
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700
2007 Ford Crown Victoria P71

Poor college student

A383Wing

probably the bearing race is stuck in the housing end.....you either need a bigger hammer, or actually get a real slide hammer tool to persuade the axle to come out.....you can rent them for free at most auto part stores

(are you sure you got all the flange nuts off?)

richf

Yup I got all the flange nuts off, that was my first thought! I'll go rent a slide hammer soon, hopefully that'll work
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700

Poor college student

BLK 68 R/T

Piece of chain will work as a makeshift slide hammer if you have some? Just throw a wrap around the axle behind the flange and give it a good jerk with some slack in the chain.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: richf on August 15, 2017, 08:08:43 PM
The axleshaft now has about .25 inch endplay.

Is that with the driver's side shaft removed? If so, reinstall the driver's side shaft and give it a good rap with a heavy hammer, that might shock the passenger side axle loose.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

richf

The .25 endplay was indeed with the driver's side axleshaft still installed. I rented a slide hammer, and after about ten minutes the damn axleshaft finally came out, the bearing and race were rusted to each other. Thanks for the help guys!
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700

Poor college student

John_Kunkel

If you have that much end play with both axles installed, the Sure-Grip (if equipped) thrust button may have fallen out.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

richf

I have 2.76 open diff (hopefully not for much longer), and I've since reinstalled the axleshafts and the endplay is now within specs again. I think the .25 endplay on the passenger shaft was just the race stuck and preventing full removal of the shaft. I really appreciate all your help guys!
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700

Poor college student