News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Crate Engine ??

Started by Mopar Crazy, August 14, 2017, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

I want to put a 440 crate engine in my 68 Charger. I want to find a turn key, dyno tested, documented crate engine from pan to carb.
There are a number of places out there selling these engines, and they all sound good.
Does anyone have any experience with some of these companies as far as who's good and who's not ?
Any suggestions ?  :popcrn:

Thanks MC
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

chapel40

Are you looking for stock or performance?
Don Chapel

Mopar Crazy

I'd like to go performance. Not looking for a 10 sec car, but I'd like a little power under the hood.

lukedukem

http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/bb-street-krate

there are others as well. They offer a lot of different services. I would call.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Brass

They are closing up shop...  If you talk to them, get straight answers regarding what they are willing to warranty and what they are not.

303 Mopar

I bought a crate engine once, and will never do it again.  I would highly recommend finding a local shop to build you one, WHEN (not if) there are issues you can have it fixed instead of pull it and shipping it back.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Mike DC

The crate engine concept works pretty well if there is something forcing the supplier to deliver consistency.  Like a production engine from a current new car/truck.  

But if they are only building it for the enthusiast aftermarket like us, look out.  It's not even smart to put a set of brand new aftermarket cylinder heads onto an engine without going over them first.    

heyoldguy

Quote from: Mopar Crazy on August 14, 2017, 09:37:15 PM
I want to put a 440 crate engine in my 68 Charger. I want to find a turn key, dyno tested, documented crate engine from pan to carb.
There are a number of places out there selling these engines, and they all sound good.
Does anyone have any experience with some of these companies as far as who's good and who's not ?
Any suggestions ?  :popcrn:

Thanks MC

What the heck is a crate engine anyway. Build any kind of engine you want and put it in a crate. Can even put go fast racing stickers on the crate. Got a box of them stickers. $10,000-$22,000 w/ free stickers on crate.

Kern Dog

For some people, engines are intimidating. There are lots of moving parts that have to fit together right for the engine to last and to run strong. Guys that build engines may have forgotten what it is like to NOT know how to build one. For the inexperienced, a fully assembled engine from a trusted source is a very comforting option. Many enthusiasts are capable of installing an engine, a transmission, doing brakes and such but the actual assembly of any of these is out of their skill set.
Personally, I have never built an automatic transmission but I have replaced valve bodies and other parts. Every rebuilt transmission that I have installed has been gone through by a professional.

alfaitalia

Well said...I would say the autos are my weak point two.....for two reasons. One I've only ever owned one two autos in my thirty odd cars..my Jeep Grand Cherokee and an Audi A8 4.2 V8....and neither ever broke! And secondly the cost / time of rebuilding one usually outweighs the cost of trading the old one in against a professionally rebuilt one (here in the UK at least).

..and of course real men use three pedals!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Challenger340

I think the attraction to "Crate" Engines for many on the internet may be the price point misconception ?  Many fully believing that some kind of magic still exists around a multiple produced Crate = cost reductions ?
Not say'in this is the OP's intent,
but rather commenting, IMO, that on Engines approaching 50 years old, and indeed anything based on stock Engine Blocks they quit making back 39 years ago(1978), my belief is no such thing as "quality" exists in any of the lower price point Internet Crate Engines with BB Mopars.
You GET...... what you PAY for....... pure & simple.

That said,
1.) the proven Engine Combo's section on this site offers some very good builds,(yes even in 440's), that may provide some guidance in direction.
and,
2.) Find a good Engine Builder FIRST..... then discuss options.

At our Shop, we get calls for the "lowly 440's" seen in the link below regularily, but unfortunately we are so frigg'in far behind with other stuff we have NO TIME !
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106687.0.html

My point being, find a GOOD Builder FIRST, discuss options, go from there. (Skip the Crates)
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mopar Crazy

Awesome input and opinions.
Many enthusiasts are capable of installing an engine, a transmission, doing brakes and such but the actual assembly of any of these is out of their skill set. (well said KD) Thats me..
Challenger340 hit it right on the head ( 2. Find a good Engine Builder FIRST..... then discuss options.)  Finding a builder you can trust ? from what I see is a hit and miss. This is my thoughts: I go to Carlisle every year. In midway there are a lot of guys selling "crate motors"  all together, running, broken in and dyno tested. I'm thinking since they are in midway at the Mopar Nats, they have to have some success and credibility. But does anyone have any experience with these guys ?

heyoldguy

Name names. One of them will be Indy Cylinder Heads and I'm going to snicker. I don't mind buying some of their parts for my engine builds but I still can't talk to them without getting angry. Shame on me I suppose.

Rubberduck

I got mine from Todd at Competition Wedge Engines. I would recommend him. But I don´t know, if he still is in business.
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

heyoldguy

Quote from: Rubberduck on August 17, 2017, 06:48:10 AM
I got mine from Todd at Competition Wedge Engines. I would recommend him. But I don´t know, if he still is in business.

Oh, I'd say he is still around............

http://www.competitionwedge.com/