News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad day in the cockpit; F-22 canopy failure

Started by Guns N Rotors, April 27, 2006, 05:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guns N Rotors

"Langley Air Force Base Briefing: F-22 03-041 Stuck Canopy

STATUS REPORT
Date Released: Monday, April 24, 2006
Source: Department of Defense

F-22 03-041 Stuck Canopy
TSgt Robinson 1st MXG/MXQ

• On 10 April 06 at approximately 0815 aircraft 03-041 had a Red Ball for a canopy unlock indication. Attempts to clear the problems by cycling the canopy failed. The final cycling of the canopy resulted in it being in the down and locked position. The canopy would not cycle up form this position trapping the pilot in the cockpit. The aircraft subsequently ground aborted.

• Attempts to manually open the canopy were unsuccessful

• 27th AMU consulted Lockheed Martin and the F-22A System Program Office to determine alternate methods to open the canopy and extract the pilot

• After all maintenance options were exhausted, the canopy was cut by fire department personnel and the pilot was extracted at approximately 1315

• Trouble-shooting of the aircraft is in work

• Canopy replacement cost is $182,205"

Yikes.....I guess the pilot will be hearing that for a while.

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighting aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be."

Guns N Rotors

Oh my!
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighting aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be."

AKcharger

Wow Guns, you have good sources, that just went out this week, I love the 1st shot

I was wondering why they posted cockpit photos when I saw the power point presentation and thought about the "no photos of the cockpit" rule...but thought, "well this is the AF NIPR net, I guess no one elae will see it"

71440charger

I am just wondering how you got those photos and if you got them your self if you are able to post them on the internet of a 22 UMMMMM! (might want to check into that)
The Killer Cam

Brock Samson

YIKES!  :-\  thanks for posting that.
  I didn't initally catch it was a raptor, i wonder how much more is $182.205 was then an Eagle Or Falcon?.. 
He looks pretty seriously hacked,.. No alot of fun, but he's safe...
Good.  :yesnod:
& i notice they dont have his name beside the pilot as I'm used to seeing. that seems to be true of the stealth planes too and im wondering if you know why?..

71440charger

The Killer Cam

4402tuff4u

I don't know but the whole thing sounds so, so strange! It sure looks authentic and sounds authentic, but I just can't see the military airwing command allowing a civilian fire department (maybe is not) - no dis-respect to the civilian firemen they put their lives on the line often and do a great service, but allow them to use a chainsaw to open a canopy???, especially if the pilot is not in a dire situation or in a dangerous position! Come on, a chainsaw??? How about a die grinder, saw-all??? I just can't understand that a multi-million dollar F-22 Raptor does not have a manual over-ride release latch or something to open the canopy from the outside, for emergency purposes - plus do you really think the military would allow the instrumentation/avionics of a state-of-the-art fighter to be sprayed with oil or let alone photographed?

It might be me being naive or ignorant, but I just don't believe it! :brickwall:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

BigBlackDodge

Chainsaw?

Eject! Eject! :o

plus do you really think the military would allow the instrumentation/avionics of a state-of-the-art fighter to be sprayed with oil or let alone photographed?

Ummm........yes I do. :yesnod:

BBD

71440charger

no that is just it you are not suppose to have pictures like that first of all you have to get a permit to take pics and they are striuck on what you take pictures of
The Killer Cam

Ponch ®

damn...dude was sitting in there for 5 hours too.

One of those is supposed to do a flyover at the Van Nuys Air Fest in a couple of weeks. I hope they dont have technical difficulties of the sort... :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

4402tuff4u

Cool, now it's a convertible.........but dont stick your head out! :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Charger_Fan

Cool pics.
I think it's odd that they used a chainsaw too. That plastic is thick, but not so thick that a sawzall couldn't make quick work of it.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Guns N Rotors

Quote from: 71440charger on April 27, 2006, 10:41:58 AM
I am just wondering how you got those photos and if you got them your self if you are able to post them on the internet of a 22 UMMMMM! (might want to check into that)

71440charger,

Re-read the text of my post for the source of the photos, sir.

Attention to detail, attention to detail.

Don't worry, no photos of the F-22's latte machine were posted. :icon_smile_cool:

71440charger

well it does not say where exactly the photos came from all I know for sure andi do know for sure beacuse i work around the FA-22 is that Pictures of the cockpit are not suppose to be taken. not really that big deal to me i was just letting you know
The Killer Cam

TruckDriver

I understand the whole locked in the cock pit thing, but why the blood? I am missing something here ???
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Rocky

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on April 27, 2006, 06:25:15 PM
I understand the whole locked in the cock pit thing, but why the blood? I am missing something here ???

That would be chain and bar oil from the chainsaw.

2fast4u

I ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW JUST HOW THICK THAT CANOPY WAS..............................NOW I KNOW!!!!!!!!!! ::)
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on April 27, 2006, 11:43:13 AM
I don't know but the whole thing sounds so, so strange! It sure looks authentic and sounds authentic, but I just can't see the military airwing command allowing a civilian fire department (maybe is not) - no dis-respect to the civilian firemen they put their lives on the line often and do a great service, but allow them to use a chainsaw to open a canopy???, especially if the pilot is not in a dire situation or in a dangerous position! Come on, a chainsaw??? How about a die grinder, saw-all??? I just can't understand that a multi-million dollar F-22 Raptor does not have a manual over-ride release latch or something to open the canopy from the outside, for emergency purposes - plus do you really think the military would allow the instrumentation/avionics of a state-of-the-art fighter to be sprayed with oil or let alone photographed?

It might be me being naive or ignorant, but I just don't believe it! :brickwall:

My bet is that those are not civilian FD personel, and I'm also bettin' that's no chainsaw (i.e. that thing doesn't have a chain bar).

Besides, what's $182K when the cost of the vehicle is over $178,000,000.00 (in 2003).

They aren't payin' for it. :D

Just my observations.  :icon_smile_big:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Ponch ®

Quote from: formula_496 on April 28, 2006, 01:06:39 AM
  the cost of the vehicle is over $178,000,000.00 (in 2003).

damn...what, it has a matching #'s Hemi?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

AKcharger

Nope Guns and Rotors just has a good source, story is real. All that came off a power point slide show presentation sent out monday from 1st Fighter Wing  Maintenace Group Quality Assurance (QA) when ever we do anything stupid QA usually takes pictures and passes it around so other people do make the same mistake,this one was from 27th  Fighter Sq at Langley AFB VA ( I just left there begining of the month) . Usually slide shows like this stay one base but since the F-22 is new and they're finding new and diffrent stuff everyday they'll send it to other wings around the AF. It's not classified or anything just usually kind of embassising to the AF so that's why it does usually get "out inthe open"

Quote from: Stratocharger on April 27, 2006, 11:02:40 AM
& i notice they dont have his name beside the pilot as I'm used to seeing. that seems to be true of the stealth planes too and im wondering if you know why?..
Actually the names are on the nose gear door and  an interesting story, the names have to be "removable" for wartime op's. Remember when that F-117 was shot down over cosovo back in '99? well the Serbs got the names of the pilot and crew chiefs off the plane, ran a google search and called the familys back home in the US telling them they're husbands/fathers were killed and stuff. Not true but you can see the risk, so we pull names before we deploy and stuff. FYI

AK

Duey

Ouch, I wonder how much damage sliding the canopy down the wing caused....I know it's heavy, but I thought the FFs would have just lobbed the plexi over the ladder on to the ground!  :o

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Arthu®

Quote from: Duey on April 28, 2006, 10:04:32 AM
Ouch, I wonder how much damage sliding the canopy down the wing caused....I know it's heavy, but I thought the FFs would have just lobbed the plexi over the ladder on to the ground!  :o

Cheers,
Duey

I was wondering the same thing, I thought it was pretty dumb to drag it down the wing. Made no sence to me. Either lift it up or just throw it down. Did a lot more damage this way. But than again I have no idea how it is supossed to be done.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

John_Kunkel

Quote from: formula_496 on April 28, 2006, 01:06:39 AM

My bet is that those are not civilian FD personel, and I'm also bettin' that's no chainsaw (i.e. that thing doesn't have a chain bar).

Most Air Force base fire departments are manned by civilian (Civil Service) personnel. The saw is a gasoline powered version of a Sawzall.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.