News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will the new A8 fit in B or E body cars?

Started by Bad B-rad, August 08, 2017, 11:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Just wondering if the new Chrysler A8 transmission will fit in B or E body cars WITH OUT, major surgery?
I know a lot of newer trans kits require the torsion bar area to be cut and braced up.
As far as I know the 46RE and 518 and that GM transmission (kit with the Mopar bellhousing)are the only modern auto overdrives that fit with out the tunnel having to have major work done.
The new A8 looks very fat so I would guess that that trans is no different and requires tunnel trimming.

I am not looking to do any of these swaps, just wondering if the A8 may be new option for people?
Thanks.

randy73

Find out the length, width and height at various points of both trannies and you will have your answer, but I would be willing to bet the answer is no just by looking at the pics.

flyinlow

I have wondered about a ZF trans myself. I had to make minor mods to make the A518 fit (worth it !) The mods for some of the new 8 speed would be more dramatic, but the gear ratio spread is impressive. How fast would a Hellcat be with a 727TF? Would you give up the 11 second 1/4 or the 200mph top speed?
The newer trans also need an electronic trans controller. I don't think we need as many gears as the newer cars due to the wide torque curves of the BB engines, but a five ratio auto with a 3-3.5:1 first gear and a .65-.50 OD for a top gear would be nice.

Bad B-rad

I have one in my 2016 Charger R/t, but have never had one in front of me to measure it, it looks like it is taller and fatter then lets say a 727, but also shorter in length.
It looks like it would not fit, but I have not tried it myself.
I put a 46RE in a 73 Challenger and just had to grind a bit on trans case and make new lower trans mount, but no mods to the cars tunnel, well maybe two ball peen hammer adjustments to the tunnel, but that is it.

When I launch my 2016, it is a bit quicker if I start in 2nd gear.
That trans (A8) shifts pretty quick.

Kern Dog

The trans tunnel and torsion bar crossmember are in the way. This is a massive transmission. Sadly, the metalwork to FIT the trans is the EASY part! Try to get that trans to work with the electronics! It is a fully electronic unit that relies on numerous inputs to function. No way a regular car guy could make this work without DiabloSport or some software company overseeing the swap. Even then you'd probably need the engine, (HEMI) ABS sensors and who knows what the heck else!  I thought of this trans after buying a 2015 Challenger R/T. My Charger 727 is okay but the deep 1st and double overdrive of the ZF A8 is a great trans.

Bad B-rad

I could be wrong, but I was told hp tuners has a bit more knowledge and more tuning options for the A8 transmissions, then diablo sport.
And I am a diablo man , but just recently a tuner was starting to sway me to use HP tuners.
He said they have much more shift tables and torque management then the other guys.
Not that any of that matters in an old car.
I was just wondering if it would even fit, controlling it would be a whole different headache.

Troy

Absolutely! If you cut out the entire center tunnel and lose the console. It's gigantic!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Bad B-rad

Yeah, after seeing that bottom photo, might be easier to just bolt seats to that transmission, and run that thing down the road, holy crap!.

I think that trans comes with its own zip code.
No wonder the new cars are so heavy.

Kern Dog

New cars.....Bigger transmissions, every car has A/C, P/S, 4 wheel anti-lock power discs, sound deadener everywhere, miles of wiring, air bags, navigation screens, crumple zones, it all adds up!

flyinlow

And yet they go quicker and faster then our old cars.  :scratchchin:  maybe an extra 75# of transmission is worth it.

Troy

Quote from: flyinlow on August 11, 2017, 06:23:33 AM
And yet they go quicker and faster then our old cars.  :scratchchin:  maybe an extra 75# of transmission is worth it.
It is! Depending on the variation of that new 8 speed I believe it tops out at about 200 pounds, has dual overdrive gears, and can handle a Hellcat's power (and 4,400+ pound total weight). If you could swap it into an old car without all the weight from modern amenities and electronics then it would be a beast (an even bigger one!). Too bad it's physically so huge! Probably not much worse than a T-56 though for anyone not afraid of chopping. The electronics could be a nightmare.

https://blog.dodge.com/features/all-about-the-srt-hellcat-part-3-a-look-at-the-driveline/
QuoteThanks to the modern TorqueFlite's 4.71 first gear, the Hellcat uses a mild 2.62:1 rear axle ratio and delivers a 12.34:1 torque multiplication factor in first gear. To achieve the same value with a 1970 HEMI V8 Challenger's 2.45 first gear would require drag race-only 4.88 gears in the rear axle.

Troy

Kern Dog

Our 2015 Challenger R/T has a 3.06 axle ratio so the 4.7 1st gear ratio does make the car feel snappy.
I do love peeling out with the Charger though. The new cars with traction control want to grip and rip. That is great for racing but for just messing around, I like my FOOT to be feathering the throttle for traction control...

Troy

Mike DC

Either chop up the crossmember, install a GM auto tranny, or install a Gear Vendors.  Those are the automatic overdrive options for these cars.     

flyinlow

I was watching a Hellcat go down the track and it sounded like it shifted 3 times to get to 122mph. I might have missed an early shift  ,I was about the 1/8 mile mark . 

Does an A8 use all 8 ratios accelerating normally to 70mph ?

Troy

Quote from: flyinlow on August 14, 2017, 09:37:00 AM
I was watching a Hellcat go down the track and it sounded like it shifted 3 times to get to 122mph. I might have missed an early shift  ,I was about the 1/8 mile mark . 

Depends on how far you push the pedal. When doing 0-60 runs my Scat Pack shifts through 4th. In the normal mode it shifts up fairly aggressively to keep the RPM down. When quietly leaving a stoplight it's shifts constantly. First gear lasts about 6 feet. I think I'm in 5th or 6th gear by 40 mph and letting off the gas at that point it will work it's way to 7th or 8th. I think if I were entering and merging on to the highway I'd be in about 7th a 70 mph but as soon as I leveled off it would be in 8th (and the MDS would kick in). Running in "Sport" mode will hold the shifts longer and you can always shift manually (on the floor or paddles).

Troy

Kern Dog

Quote from: flyinlow on August 14, 2017, 09:37:00 AM

Define normally.
Kidding. Yes, it engages every one of the 8 gears unless you are leaning on it, then it hangs in each gear longer and may still be in 4th or 5th by 70.