News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who's your favorite NASCAR Driver(s) and why?

Started by RD, August 11, 2005, 03:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

me, I have two:

Ryan Newman - due to his consistency, driving ability, and demeanor

Kasey Kahne - due to his team and he can be cocky at times, but he is a good driver.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ChgrSteve67

Michael Waltrip - Clean Driver, Honest, Funny, Trustworthy, Innovative, doesn't loose his cool (Very often) and has good commercials on TV.
Dale Jr comes in second for a lot of the same reasons listed above.

6pkrtse

Richard Petty by far. No one will replace the King. As for favorite I have to root for the Roush Racing camp. (Biffle) Since I work at Roush Racing. (8-cars now in Cup), 2 or 3 in Busch depending on which track we are at (with 5 others with lease motors), & 2 in the truck series (with several lease engines, don't even know how many customers we have in truck anymore).
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

PlumBad70

Dale Jr. and Tony Stewert!! Tough sob's...They don't take any crap :icon_smile_blackeye:
Steve
1970 Charger R/T Sublime
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4

70charginglizard

Quote from: RD on August 11, 2005, 03:12:11 PM
me, I have two:

Ryan Newman - due to his consistency, driving ability, and demeanor

Kasey Kahne - due to his team and he can be cocky at times, but he is a good driver.

Me too.

Except additional comment on Kasey...He's from My state.
70charginglizard

IBsmokin

Dale Earnhart jr, his father was my fav. since I was a kid, now that he has passed, i have to worship his son out of respect for the king!!! :bow:

General Ryan

:iagree:

I too followed Sr. as a big fan of his abilaty with a car and rugged take no crap get outta my way style, and while watching his son grow up and following his progress, I cheered for him and now continue to cheer him on in his father's name

Telvis

Michael Waltrip because he's a KY boy. I like DW too...Richard Petty is a no brainer...I also like Dale Jarret. I can't say why but I like him..seems like a real nice fella.

TheGhost

Quote from: IBsmokin on August 11, 2005, 04:58:15 PM
Dale Earnhart ... blah blah blah... king!!! :bow:

No.

Richard "The King" Petty, and his #43.  Everyone else is just a driver.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Ghost on August 11, 2005, 06:51:51 PM
Quote from: IBsmokin on August 11, 2005, 04:58:15 PM
Dale Earnhart ... blah blah blah... king!!! :bow:

No.

Richard "The King" Petty, and his #43.   Everyone else is just a driver.

7 Time Champion! :icon_smile:
7 Daytona 500 wins! :icon_smile_cool:
200 wins! :yesnod:
10 wins in a row! .........1967 :o

No one has done more for the sport of stock car racing than Petty. :icon_smile_big:

He was/is 'THE' King of stock car racing................the rest are field fillers! ;D

BBD

IBsmokin

PLEASE READ!!!!!

While this argument is embraced strongly by Earnhardt's supporters, Petty's backers can once again point to the numbers. Both drivers won seven Winston Cup championships, but a breakdown of some individual race statistics shows Petty with a decided edge.
    Petty once won 27 races in a season; Earnhardt never had more than 12. Petty had 55 victories on superspeedways; Earnhardt had 48. Petty won 139 races on short tracks; Earnhardt had 27.

One area where Petty clearly lagged behind, however, was the issue of competitiveness over the length of their careers. Petty got his final victory in 1984 but continued to drive through 1992, going the final four-plus years of his career without a top-5 finish. Earnhardt remained competitive right up until the end, finishing second in the points last year, when he won two races and recorded 24 top-10s and 13 top-5s.

He was picked by many as a legitimate title contender his last year, and he began the season by running with the leaders all the way up until the final turn of the Daytona 500.

long live the real KING Dale Earnhardt SR.

676 races, 76 victories, 281 top-5s and 428 top-10s

TheGhost

Quote from: IBsmokin on August 11, 2005, 07:44:36 PMlong live the real KING Dale Earnhardt SR.

I could insert a REALLY bad joke here, but I'm better than that........

Also, Petty drove CLEAN, which is more than I can say about Sr. and Jr. BOTH... :rotz:

And, 200 wins > 76 wins, by a LOOOONG ways.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

TruckDriver

Richard Petty Will always be my favorite. And Kyle Petty my settamental favorite.

BUT as far as current drivers;

Dale Jr. - Because I like his laid back personality and because I liked his dad.

Rusty Wallace - Another I like his personality

Mark Martin - I remember when he used to race here locally when he lived in Franklin, Wi.

Matt Kenseth - I remember his rookie year at Slinger Speedway when he was new to racing, and the rivelry between Matt and his crew cheif then driver, Robbie Riser. I liked him then as well as now.

Kenny Schrader - Just gotta love a guy that loves racin'

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

IBsmokin

okay Petty was an awsome driver, I will never deny that, and yes very clean, but you have to admit there is some coolness in the dirty little tricks that both Dale sr. and jr. did when they drove together in the same race to leap frog to the lead positions.

TheGhost

If ya can't play fair, don't bother playing at all.  That is one of my personal creeds.

1970440RT

UBSMOKIN for sure.   The real King ( Petty ) never got booed like Sr. did.   Petty had a lot more respect for other drivers.   I don't know how many times I wished someone would put that a$$hole in the 3 car in the wall.   Someone finally did ... for good.      Live by the sword, die by the sword.   His accident was freak, the way the car hooked and the way it hit the wall, I don't believe for a minute Sterling meant it, but Sr. did alot worse to other drivers INTENTIONALLY.   Karma?   I guess we'll all find out when we meet the big man in the sky.

My fav. drivers:
Newman - He will win a championship, unfortunately it will be in a Toyota.
Kahne- At least he'll win his championship in a Dodge
After that, anybody driving a magnum sedan

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: IBsmokin on August 11, 2005, 07:44:36 PM
PLEASE READ!!!!!

While this argument is embraced strongly by Earnhardt's supporters, Petty's backers can once again point to the numbers. Both drivers won seven Winston Cup championships, but a breakdown of some individual race statistics shows Petty with a decided edge.
    Petty once won 27 races in a season; Earnhardt never had more than 12. Petty had 55 victories on superspeedways; Earnhardt had 48. Petty won 139 races on short tracks; Earnhardt had 27.

One area where Petty clearly lagged behind, however, was the issue of competitiveness over the length of their careers. Petty got his final victory in 1984 but continued to drive through 1992, going the final four-plus years of his career without a top-5 finish. Earnhardt remained competitive right up until the end, finishing second in the points last year, when he won two races and recorded 24 top-10s and 13 top-5s.

He was picked by many as a legitimate title contender his last year, and he began the season by running with the leaders all the way up until the final turn of the Daytona 500.

long live the real KING Dale Earnhardt SR.

676 races, 76 victories, 281 top-5s and 428 top-10s

HAHAHAHA...................what are you smokin?   ;D

Numbers don't lie............

Petty 1,185 races divided 200 wins = Average win every 5.93 races.

Dale   676 races divided by 76 wins = Average win every 8.89 races.

Dale was good, no doubt there. But just because he's dead does not make him the best there ever was.

Also,

Petty, 700 top 5's and 127 poles................................zoinks!

Petty's top 5's averaged one every 1.69 races.............Dales was 2.40

I have no idea how many poles Dale had?

True the King faded away at the end of his career, but when you average all things out it becomes clear who was the best. :icon_smile_big:

Numbers don't lie........

BBD

Chris G.

No sense in getting into the Petty vs. Earnhardt deal, so I'll just stay on topic.

Fav driver? Ricky Rudd. I have always been a fan. Probably because he has never really been in the spotlight. That's kinda my thing. I never like sports teams that are powerhouses...except Nebraska. I loved them before they ruled the world in the mid-90's. I even have Husker pasta... :smilie_help:

I'll almost be glad when he retires, so I don't have to watch wrestling ...er NASCAR anymore.

IBsmokin

THE COLONEL

Tony Stewart for me.  I have followed him since his dirt track days. :2thumbs:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

IBsmokin

all kidding aside, not too many people mentioned Jeff Gordan, give that kid another 5 or 6 more years he might even surpass Petty in wins.

TheGhost

Quote from: IBsmokin on August 11, 2005, 09:50:03 PM
all kidding aside, not too many people mentioned Jeff Gordan, give that kid another 5 or 6 more years he might even surpass Petty in wins.

[funny song]Jeff Gordan's gay, Jeff Gordan's gay.  Least that's what them ornry Earndhart fans always say.  They swear he's using Vaseline on the 24 Chevrolet.  Jeff Gordan's gay, he MUST be gay.[/funny song]

IBsmokin

he might be shifting with his azz, with the shift stick place in the center of his seat instead of the center of the car, but that younge man can drive!!!!!

MoparYoungGun

I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for this but I'm a Gordon fan. He's a very talented driver and rarely looses his cool. Plus, he is one of only three men to win over three championships (the others being Petty and Earnhardt). I am getting a little worried that he won't make the choice though. Oh well, there's always next year. GO 24 :icon_smile_big: !

General_01

I am a Rusty fan. I have always liked him because to me he is one of the best short track racers and I love short track racing. The Bristol races are my favs.

I also like Kasey Kahne. When Rusty retires I will have to start wearing #9 hats. ;D

Other people I like are Ricky Rudd, Kyle Petty, Michael Waltrip,and Mark Martin.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed