News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Over-filled AC solution.

Started by lloyd3, July 21, 2017, 07:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

On an old Ford PU, one can wasn't enough, two was too-much. Drain excess from high side or low side?

cdr

witch ever one does not blow oil out will work.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lloyd3

Appreciate that. Very little online about it that is actually useful. Most resembles disinformation.

Dino

Might want a shop to capture that crap instead of releasing it in the air. But that's just me.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

lloyd3

Post 1993 it became 134a (replaced the "evil" R-12). The newer stuff isn't quite as toxic, but it also doesn't work as well. Unless you admit to releasing it, being charged for such a  "crime" is impossible. Big Brother at work yet again.  Much like the science of  anthropogenic climate change, it has many critics.

alfaitalia

Over here I would not be doing it. £25000 (about £32500!) fine and up to five years in prison!! Its highly ozone depleting.

Not to mention you will never do a proper job without the right (expensive) equipment. The machine safely pulls out all the old stuff. Then it vacuum tests the system for a few minutes.....then pressure tests it with an inert gas for a few more minutes. Then finally refills with the correct oil/r134a gas in the correct ratio as far as pressure and weight is concerned. Lets see you get all that done with a can from the parts shop!! Only cost me £40 with a local guy to my work. Not worth the risk to save next to nothing. I know folks who have damaged there systems by over filling them.......
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Dino

Quote from: lloyd3 on July 22, 2017, 11:02:28 AM
Post 1993 it became 134a (replaced the "evil" R-12). The newer stuff isn't quite as toxic, but it also doesn't work as well. Unless you admit to releasing it, being charged for such a  "crime" is impossible. Big Brother at work yet again.  Much like the science of  anthropogenic climate change, it has many critics.

It's not about big brother, it's about doing the right thing. Uneducated critics do not influence my actions.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

DAY CLONA

Quote from: cdr on July 23, 2017, 03:26:56 PM
LMFAO

Same here, I just didn't want to be the first to admit it...  :icon_smile_big: green hating applies to more than just green coloured cars

Tilar

They should pay you to reclaim Freon.... after all they just resell it to the next guy.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

moparstuart

there is still R12 in my 68 and thats what going back in it
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

cdr

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 23, 2017, 03:39:19 PM
LMFAO

Same here, I just didn't want to be the first to admit it...  :icon_smile_big: green hating applies to more than just green coloured cars

:icon_smile_big:    I do like Watermelon green   

BDF

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 23, 2017, 03:39:19 PM
LMFAO

:smilielol:

alfaitalia

Quote from: moparstuart on July 23, 2017, 05:31:35 PM

Cant buy it in the UK....banned. Not been used in any new car since 1992. R134a can be good but needs to be in a system designed for it.....both my other cars are ice cold on it. However if you want a direct R12 replacement its R437 or R437a (Isceon® MO49Plus™). This is the most up to date replacement for R12 (and supercedes RS24 / R426a).

moparstuart

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 24, 2017, 02:10:57 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 23, 2017, 05:31:35 PM

Cant buy it in the UK....banned. Not been used in any new car since 1992. R134a can be good but needs to be in a system designed for it.....both my other cars are ice cold on it. However if you want a direct R12 replacement its R437 or R437a (Isceon® MO49Plus™). This is the most up to date replacement for R12 (and supercedes RS24 / R426a).
have a buddy with a few cases of the stuff 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dino on July 23, 2017, 09:07:44 AM
It's not about big brother, it's about doing the right thing.

Sorry, but if you're worried about doing the "right thing" you'd be scrapping that gas-guzzling/polluting muscle car.

A half-pound of refrigerant discharged to the air is less harmful than 100 mile drive in a sixties/seventies car.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Tilar

Quote from: moparstuart on July 24, 2017, 09:15:57 AM
have a buddy with a few cases of the stuff 

I still have just over a case left... Saving it for my 68.
Dave  

lloyd3

I have two degrees (geology and engineering) and I worked for over 20-years as a consultant for the USEPA and many other government (as well as private) agencies.  I'd like to think that my opinion is an educated one.  The science behind most (if not all) EPA regulations these days is at best, suspect.  The political component of any new regulation gets far-more consideration than any actual science behind it.  Good science and government has had very little to do with each other for a very long time now. Where R-134a falls in the spectrum of pollutants is a bit unclear to me at this point, but.... I'm fairly certain that any I might inadvertently vent into Mother Earth's atmosphere isn't going to make much difference.  And...please don't make me get my soapbox out on "Climate Change" because I certainly wouldn't be driving my nearly 50-year old car around if I bought any of that clearly-specious bilge.

The solution to pollution is usually dilution. Remember that.

As far as the argument goes for having an AC system professionally serviced goes, I could be talked into that one.  Having the right equipment to do the job is usually the better way to go.  When you're in the middle of nowhere and your AC goes out, then... you do the best you can to get it going again and the "regulations..." can hang.

cdr

alfaitalia

Quote from: lloyd3 on July 25, 2017, 06:34:02 PM
I have two degrees (geology and engineering) and I worked for over 20-years as a consultant for the USEPA and many other government (as well as private) agencies.  I'd like to think that my opinion is an educated one.  The science behind most (if not all) EPA regulations these days is at best, suspect.  The political component of any new regulation gets far-more consideration than any actual science behind it.  Good science and government has had very little to do with each other for a very long time now. Where R-134a falls in the spectrum of pollutants is a bit unclear to me at this point, but.... I'm fairly certain that any I might inadvertently vent into Mother Earth's atmosphere isn't going to make much difference.  And...please don't make me get my soapbox out on "Climate Change" because I certainly wouldn't be driving my nearly 50-year old car around if I bought any of that clearly-specious bilge.

As far as the argument goes for having an AC system professionally serviced goes, I could be talked into that one.  Having the right equipment to do the job is usually the better way to go.  When you're in the middle of nowhere and your AC goes out, then... you do the best you can to get it going again and the "regulations..." can hang.

I don't pay much attention to it.....but climate change is clearly not "specious bilge".....its very real, happening and backed up with some pretty indisputable science.....much as it pains me to admit as I've always been sceptical. So climate change is happening.....what is debatable IMO is how much of it is due to mans influence.....much more difficult to prove. We certainly have an effect but how much? In our news today was a massive bombshell to petrol heads like me. After 2040 there will be no more new petrol and diesel powered vehicles sold in the UK! We will be one of the first countries to be full electric.....not too difficult for us as we already have most of the infrastructure due to quite high voluntary electric car use. Only thing is I can see is that we still generate a lot of our power from coal and gas powered stations....so it will be just moving the pollution from one place to another. However we are at nearly 50% renewable power now with windfarms springing up everywhere so it might work. US folks have always be doubters when it comes to climate change....not helped by having some of the cheapest fuel in the industrialised world. If fuel was as expensive over there as it is in Europe car choice would be very different there. A V8 engine or one over 3 litres is quite a rare site here already.

cdr

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 26, 2017, 06:27:26 AM

I don't pay much attention to it.....but climate change is clearly not "specious bilge".....its very real, happening and backed up with some pretty indisputable science.....much as it pains me to admit as I've always been sceptical. So climate change is happening.....what is debatable IMO is how much of it is due to mans influence.....much more difficult to prove. We certainly have an effect but how much? In our news today was a massive bombshell to petrol heads like me. After 2040 there will be no more new petrol and diesel powered vehicles sold in the UK! We will be one of the first countries to be full electric.....not too difficult for us as we already have most of the infrastructure due to quite high voluntary electric car use. Only thing is I can see is that we still generate a lot of our power from coal and gas powered stations....so it will be just moving the pollution from one place to another. However we are at nearly 50% renewable power now with windfarms springing up everywhere so it might work. US folks have always be doubters when it comes to climate change....not helped by having some of the cheapest fuel in the industrialised world. If fuel was as expensive over there as it is in Europe car choice would be very different there. A V8 engine or one over 3 litres is quite a rare site here already.

See what they did, it used to be called Global Warming, NAME CHANGE,,Climate Change,, LOL  climate change is a constant, NO SHIT, always has been,always will be.

alfaitalia

True...but it's happening fast faster than ever before. Don't forget this planet was hot and uninhabitable millions of years ago due to the carbon (monoxide and dioxide) in the atmosphere.. then the plants grew and absorbed the carbon to be buried for millions of years. Now we dig it back up and burn it in the form of coal and oil..releasing all that previously trapped carbon. Does not take a genius to realise that it's not exactly going to improve the atmosphere.

That being said I recon my car will get 8-10 mpg and I'm expecting a panda to die each time I start it. I will worry about it when the Chinese don't build a power station every few hours and you guys pay a realistic price for your gas.....and do your part in protecting our planet.....lol ! But I won't blindly say the climate change is a lie to justify my choice of vehicle!

cdr

:eyes:  
Quote from: alfaitalia on July 26, 2017, 01:00:45 PM
True...but it's happening fast faster than ever before. Don't forget this planet was hot and uninhabitable millions of years ago due to the carbon (monoxide and dioxide) in the atmosphere.. then the plants grew and absorbed the carbon to be buried for millions of years. Now we dig it back up and burn it in the form of coal and oil..releasing all that previously trapped carbon. Does not take a genius to realise that it's not exactly going to improve the atmosphere.

That being said I recon my car will get 8-10 mpg and I'm expecting a panda to die each time I start it. I will worry about it when the Chinese don't build a power station every few hours and you guys pay a realistic price for your gas.....and do your part in protecting our planet.....lol ! But I won't blindly say the climate change is a lie to justify my choice of vehicle!

Yeah, us guys in America need to pay more for our gas ,and do our part,,,,what an asshole!!! FU

Tilar

I have two degrees (geology and engineering) and I worked for over 20-years as a consultant for the USEPA and many other government (as well as private) agencies.  I'd like to think that my opinion is an educated one.....

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Of course the climate is going to change, and it's going to get hot, Real damn hot... Just read the bible, it will explain everything in detail.
Dave  

alfaitalia

Quote from: Tilar on July 26, 2017, 03:00:04 PM
I have two degrees (geology and engineering) and I worked for over 20-years as a consultant for the USEPA and many other government (as well as private) agencies.  I'd like to think that my opinion is an educated one.....

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Of course the climate is going to change, and it's going to get hot, Real damn hot... Just read the bible, it will explain everything in detail.

Lol....but if you believe in all that nonsense then the planet has only been here about 25,000 years so we haven't really got any of that 100 million plus year old oil to even burn in your Charger motor...it takes about 60 million years minimum for gas and crude oil  to form naturally.