News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cracking throught the carb

Started by Bob, August 11, 2005, 02:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

About a month ago my 74 started cracking up through the cab on the passenger side.
I did verify that the cam/valves are working properly. A friend told me they had the same problem but it was in the ignition sytem. After about 900 rpm it starts cracking. It's not really a backfire.
It's a 400, 4bbl. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bob

Again, Thanks Troy. You the Man!

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chryco Psycho

could be a valve problem , or could just be too lean , or maybe you have a leak at th eexhaust manifold if it is just a noise you hear 

Charger_Fan

...Flat cam...timing too far advanced...or your little brother dropped popcorn in the carb trying to be funny. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Bob

There was a loss of power because of this.
Other than inspecting the cap/rotor and wires I did remove the valve covers and crank and measured the travel of each valve. I then removed the rockers to see if any valves would fall over but all seemed well. I think I will try a good tune-up first. Cheapest way first. The timing was right on the money.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks

Chryco Psycho

have you done a compression test ?

Bob

Bob

A little old, 2005, but it was the cam. :eyes:

Ghoste

It's good to hear that you finally have it nailed.  :yesnod:

Bob

And it runs great. Now if I can just get the pulley thing figured out. :flame: