News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need info on 72 Charger

Started by rdoact, April 24, 2006, 02:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdoact

I found a nicely redone 72 Charger with a 440 that I'm interested in.
I'm mostly used to working on old Vettes and have learned the hard way that there are specific "lookout points" on vettes. The weak points of these old cars, ie. rust prone areas on the frame, rear suspension play, vacuum system, specific hard to find parts, etc.
Anyone have a list of about a half dozen items that almost everyone has problems with on theses cars?
I want to know before I buy. BTW, I'm less worried about numbers matching than about hidden problems and impossible to find parts.
Thanks.
Gary

RD

rust in the rear of front fenders towards the rocker panel, rust in lower quarters both front and back of wheel well, rust along front and rear seam of roof if the car is a vinyl top car, and the usual floorboard and trunk rust.  I have heard of 3rd gen chargers having rust in the rear window area, but it is rare.

things to look for structurally I would say are the rear and front framerails.  You cannot purchase them aftermarket as far as I know.

As far as impossible to find parts, well this is not a GM and secondly, the 71-74 model year of chargers are not the most sought after so the aftermarket companies are not deeming it truly necessary to repop alot of sheetmetal or other parts, but they are slowly getting there.  Most items you will have to find, can be found for the right money of course.  It truly matters on what you are looking for.  I can find anything I want for my Charger except full quarters.  They run around $1,400 each.

Oh that is another thing, if you want a Mopar, be prepared to pay for it :D :D

welcome to the site!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

defiance

The metal between the rear window and the trunk lid.  Least on the ones I've seen... always seems to be rusted...

defiance

Oh, here are some others I had trouble with...

Dash pad is not reproduced, and often they crack.  $500 plus 1month+ turnaround to have it stripped, refoamed, and revyniled, or get REAL lucky and find an original...  preferably local ... good condition (uncracked) originals go for insane prices on ebay.

Consoles on auto transmission - the strip of plastic just to the left of the shifter is always broken!  Always!  Dunno why.  I managed to superglue and carefully paint mine, it's lasted about 2 years now, so I think it worked.  Indistinguishable from stock.  But still, *I* know it's broken, and it kinda bugs me :P
I think a repop is available now, though... 

Electrical systems are often a pain... I'd think this would be similar for any car that old, though, so that's probably nothing new.  I think the entire wiring harness is available, though. 

Most of the unrestored '72's I've seen had rusted out floor and trunk pans, so that's a consideration...

Tachometers NEVER work in these things, and the reman is nearly $200.  Working guage clusters with tachometers go for even more.

The rallye cluster guage bezel (woodgrain trim) is often cut for radios.  Used to be able to get clusters with good bezels and broken guages pretty cheap, but now people are starting to pay attention; they've gone up a good bit on ebay latey.  No reman.

I'm sure there are lots of other little 'tricky' parts that I lucked out on with mine, but since those are the only real trouble spots I had, I wouldn't know :)

RD

Quote from: defiance on April 24, 2006, 03:14:43 PM
Oh, here are some others I had trouble with...

Dash pad is not reproduced, and often they crack.  $500 plus 1month+ turnaround to have it stripped, refoamed, and revyniled, or get REAL lucky and find an original...  preferably local ... good condition (uncracked) originals go for insane prices on ebay.

www.justdashes.com makes them

QuoteElectrical systems are often a pain... I'd think this would be similar for any car that old, though, so that's probably nothing new.  I think the entire wiring harness is available, though. 

sure is, good call, painless wiring makes them

QuoteTachometers NEVER work in these things, and the reman is nearly $200.  Working guage clusters with tachometers go for even more.

you can get the tachometers fixed by clicking here:  http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_67-74_Tach_kit

QuoteThe rallye cluster guage bezel (woodgrain trim) is often cut for radios.  Used to be able to get clusters with good bezels and broken guages pretty cheap, but now people are starting to pay attention; they've gone up a good bit on ebay latey.  No reman.

that is so true, great info defiance

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Daytona R/T SE

If you're used to working on Chevies, cars that you can pick up a catalog for and buy any part you want, cheap.....get ready for a shock...

rdoact

The car was recently painted and looks good. I have not got under it yet though.
In looking at the paint, I did notice what looked like a poorly contoured bondo repair in the metal between the corner of the rear window and trunk. I'm asuming from the comments, a rust prone area that's not easy to fix.
Btw Daytona, my chevy is a 68 corvette. Lot's of non-reproduced 1 year only parts on that car, so I feel your pain.

defiance

Quote from: RD on April 24, 2006, 04:47:38 PM
www.justdashes.com makes them

You sure?  They didn't a few months ago - they did restore them ($500 and their turnaround was 14 weeks at the time), but didn't actually make remanufactured ones at the time...  Given what they're going for on ebay, though, if they are making them, they should make a killing! :P

AKcharger

Went to just dashes web site, they don't list 'em, only for old coronets and darts and stuff, pre-65

41husk

post some pictures of this possible purchase :yesnod:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

andy74

vinyl top trim is tough to find,as well as wheel well trim-unless you want to spend mega buxx