News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upper control arm cam bolt adjustment.

Started by Dino, July 08, 2017, 11:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have Moog offset bushings in these UCAs so the bushing toward the front of the car has the bolt hole closer to the engine and vice versa for the rear bushing. That then makes the upper ball joint move toward the rear of the car. But what do I do with the cam bolts at this time? Whenever this car moves again under its own power, it'll go to the alignment shop but I'd like to get it set as close as I can in my garage.

I just stuck bolts in the bushings and gave it as much caster as possible. The front bolt is all the way out so the front UCA arm moves out more and the reverse for the rear bolt. This probably messes up the camber though! So where should the cam bolts be for now?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

Just like you have pictured. get a tape & set the toe. then take to alignment shop.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

You can do a preliminary camber adjustment by resting the LCA on a block and using a spirit level on the disc/drum face to judge level.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

Thanks gents!   :cheers:

So I guess it's best to leave the cam bolts as they are for max caster but I should move them in or out equally to set camber correct?

bakerhillpins

LOL or you can think you got it "good enough" to mozy on down to the alignment shop but find out you FUBR'ed and the LCA carved off a few mills of your balancing weights.  :eek2: :brickwall:

So I get to re-balance the passenger front too!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dino

Fun isn't it?   :lol:

I installed the driver side UCA today. I went to do the other side and I can't get the UCA with new bushings to fit between the frame brackets. This is gonna be fun!   :eek2:

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on July 08, 2017, 08:15:26 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on July 08, 2017, 08:12:17 PM
Bolts in backword

I have to flip the cam bolts? Nuts on engine bay side?

Hrmm.... all of my nuts (  :icon_smile_big: ) were on the engine bay side. All bolts went in from outside (and in-between the UCA).

Quote from: Dino on July 08, 2017, 07:41:58 PM
Fun isn't it?   :lol:

I installed the driver side UCA today. I went to do the other side and I can't get the UCA with new bushings to fit between the frame brackets. This is gonna be fun!   :eek2:

We had to stick a pry bar in there to allow the new UCA to slip in on my drivers side. The passenger side went in with us just popping it in with our palm.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino