News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trunk won't open....

Started by Bandit72, April 25, 2006, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

went to get in my trunk tonight and the key will only go about a half of an inch into the lock then seems to hit something solid...it is pretty important that i get into my trunk sometime soon as it has all of my homework in there, i've tried spraying silicone lubricant inside of it and that didn't help anything, so i tried wiggling my pocket knife around inside the hold and that didn't do anything either...like i say the key goes about half an inch in then seems to hit something solid...any help is appriciated

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

terrible one

Get some graphite, that's what is used to lubricated locks and stuff. Maybe that'll help.

Charger1973

If that doesnt work, im gonna guess your lock is shot.  Easiest way then would be to pull the back half of the rear seat and crawl into the trunk far enough to get a pair of pliers on the metal peice that connects the lock to the latch.  Turn it and the trunk will open. 

If thats the case, just unbolt the latch from your trunk (the body not the lid) and you can bunjee cord or strap your trunk shut to the car where the rear seat was.  It would be a temporary fix until you got a replacement lock but then it would still be useable without having to crawl into the trunk again. 

Chryco Psycho

oftewn if the front pin is short it will turn sideways instead of going up & down if you can get something like a paper clip into the lock & pull out on the pins at the top of the lock you may at least get it open 1 more time & you can either remove the first pin or get a new lock once it is open

terrible one

Quote from: charger1973 on April 25, 2006, 10:35:35 PM
If that doesnt work, im gonna guess your lock is shot.  Easiest way then would be to pull the back half of the rear seat and crawl into the trunk far enough to get a pair of pliers on the metal peice that connects the lock to the latch.  Turn it and the trunk will open. 

If thats the case, just unbolt the latch from your trunk (the body not the lid) and you can bunjee cord or strap your trunk shut to the car where the rear seat was.  It would be a temporary fix until you got a replacement lock but then it would still be useable without having to crawl into the trunk again. 

If it comes down to this you don't have to bungee it or anything, just close it normally and use a flathead to open it until you get a new lock. After a while, you'll get really good at it (trust me, I know)

71440charger

i did the paper clip one and shot litium greese in mine and it works like a charm
The Killer Cam

c5_nc

I'd just go in through the back seat to open, its easy to pull the lock assembly out then you can shut and reopen with a screwdriver easily from outside.

4402tuff4u

Can you still get these locks easily for the Chargers?
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

mikepmcs

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on April 26, 2006, 02:20:50 PM
Can you still get these locks easily for the Chargers?

googled it and came up with this.  www.jacksautoparts.com  go in the interior section.

Trunk Lock Set
66-72 All $29.95 except
70-72 Cuda $69.95

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chryco Psycho

Standard carrys them as wel through most parts stores

mikepmcs

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 26, 2006, 06:37:01 PM
Standard carrys them as wel through most parts stores

Bet they are cheaper too. :yesnod:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Bandit72

i'll have to check into a new one, got the trunk open today and worked on the tumbler alittle...took out the first "pin" and it came out in 2 peices  ??? is it supposed to be in 2 peices? anyway took that pin out and got the key to go in alot easier, but now it seems to hang up alittle if the key isn't absolutly perfect...oh well at least it opens again..i'll check into another tumbler in afew days

thanks everyone

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Chryco Psycho

Yes the first tumbler is in 2 pieces , top & bottom pin , , the key may be worn too , you can get a locksmith the cut a copy with a piece of paper under the original key this will add .008 to the kay & may make it work smoothly again