News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need painting advice

Started by Loa, June 13, 2017, 09:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loa

Hello,

Last Summer I got a 1974 Charger SE for real cheap. I've been working on everything under the hood and undercarriage since Spring. My goal is to get the car solid and reliable this year. The paint on it is a bad paint job that hasn't been properly maintained. The car was white in front and bronze in the back before being painted red: it has body parts from various cars. While the red paint still has some clear on it in some spots, the clear is mostly gone. So depending on where you look, the car is either a nice deep red or a washed out pinkish red.

Honestly, I don't mind. After driving a nearly mint 73 Challenger for 3 years and wincing every time I heard a rock hitting the body, it's refreshing to see a dirt road and smile.

Then again, the paint is also peeling in some spots: driver side fender, driver side door and it has some small scratches in places. This is what worries me.

I don't want to do a complete and beautiful paint job on it, as it would cost a lot and I don't want a perfect paint job on it anyway. Then again, having paint made to match the color, when the color of the car changes from place to place, would be a pain.

Is there any other alternative I haven't thought of?

Thanks

hemi-hampton

Go to Maaco & get the whole car repainted for $299. Problem solved. LEON.

Loa

The closest Maaco is about a 3 hour drive for me, but looking for a full but cheap repaint is a good idea.

I'll try to find the equivalent around where I live.

Thanks.