News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

904 trans issue(updated)

Started by markmopar, March 13, 2017, 05:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmopar

We have a '76 Cordoba 360/904. The mainshaft snapped so we had the trans rebuilt(not professionally, friend of a friend thing).
When it's cold the shift points are very high. The warmer it gets, the lower the shift points are. When fully up to temp it seems to shift normally.

Any ideas where the problem might be?

John_Kunkel

The person who rebuilt it may have cranked the line pressure adjustment way up. Only a gauge on the line pressure test port will tell.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

markmopar

What should the line pressures be?

John_Kunkel

Around 45-50 psi in Drive idling and 90 psi max at WOT in Drive.

markmopar

Thanks. When it warms up a bit, I'll do a check.  :2thumbs:

markmopar

All I had was an 80psi oil gauge.
Hooked it up today and had nothing at idle in neutral. Put it in drive and it no response until I touched the gas, then it shot up to where 150 or so would be on the dial!
Reverse showed nothing, even on the gas. Back to neutral, went back to nothing.

c00nhunterjoe

markmopar

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 01, 2017, 09:07:54 PM
Wbat port are you using

The line pressure port on the right side of the trans case roughly in the middle.

c00nhunterjoe

Park and neutral will be 0. It wont build any pressure at all in drive until you raise the rpm?

markmopar

Right, No pressure until I raise the RPMs. Then it shoots way up.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: markmopar on June 01, 2017, 07:43:05 PM
All I had was an 80psi oil gauge.
Hooked it up today and had nothing at idle in neutral. Put it in drive and it no response until I touched the gas, then it shot up to where 150 or so would be on the dial!
Reverse showed nothing, even on the gas. Back to neutral, went back to nothing.

Well, you need a gauge that will actually show correct pressures over 80 PSI but, if the pressure actually is 150, then somebody has been messing with the regulator.

c00nhunterjoe

John, shouldnt there still be line pressure at idle in gear? Something is wrong if it shows 0 until he build wheel speed?

John_Kunkel

Yes, as stated, you should have at least 40-50 psi at idle in Drive.