News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI Ignition control - Sniper EFI and Distributor

Started by armor64, June 27, 2017, 10:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armor64

Good morning all.

As I save up for my fueling system, and continue the bodywork on my 68, im planning out the electrical/fuel system. I do not have a single wire or ignition piece yet.

I have a Tanks Inc EFI tank with pump inside, Nice Frame mount filter, Stainless 3/8 feed and return lines, AN flex lines to connect tank to frame, frame to throttle body.
(going to get the American Autowire harness, as the one i got for my GMC and dads 51 chev are fantastic)

I was planning on getting a 400HP FITech, but the 440 rebuild will apparently be north of that, so apparently i would need the 650 model, pushing into the same cost as the new Holley Sniper EFI.

so here-in lies the conundrum: I was planning on going MSD Streetfire CDI box(got one super cheap), coil, to any Distributor, and leave it at that, but the 650hp and Sniper can control the Timing (sounds nice)

Should i get:
1) a Sniper EFI, and their Dual Sync Distributor, and is that all i would need to get it running, (and sell the MSD box)
2) either EFI, use the MSD CDI, get a coil, stock style Distributor.
3) either EFI, MSD CDI, MSD Distributor, Coil.

Anyone have any experience with this type stuff? I'm coming from working on my 78 GMC, the HEI makes it clean and easy, but that's was not a performance application.

thanks everyone, and looking forward to Carlisle in a few weeks!

68CoronetRT

I just installed a Sniper and Duel Sync dist. You will not be disappointed! I'm also running an MSD box. But I already had that.

Car has never run this good!

armor64

Does the MSD box do anything in this scenario though, or because it is there, you don't have the Sniper control the Dual Sync? im guessing that the msd will supply more power/multispark that the sniper probably doesn't, just curious.

thanks

68CoronetRT

Correct. So the MSD is only used to fire the coil at that point. The dual sync dist plugs directly to the Sniper EFI, it sends it's Hall Effect signal through the EFI computer which then sends a Dwell signal to the MSD box, which then fires the coil.

It takes a good 3-5 revolutions for the mSD box to start firing the coil, which I feel is good since it helps build oil pressure before firing. You dont get an instant 1/2-1 revolution crank and fire like in most well tuned carb applications.

You can bypass the MSD with their "Coil Driver" that comes with the EFI kit. Since my wiring was already in place for the coil etc, it was easier for me to run the dwell line to the MSD dwell and let it do it's thing. Plus you can then use the MSD box or the Sniper to control rev limiter. Reguardless I'd run the dual sync again in a heart beat. It beats any mag pickup dist by a mile for precision. My car has never had this crisp of any exhaust note. Cruising it feels smoother.

You can find the other thread about the Fitech. I had a lot of problems with it and was posting about them as I went along. So far zero issues with the Holley kit.

armor64

great info thanks!

1 last question, is your Sniper Loud? ive been reading a few posts that the injector clicking is so high you hear it inside. Was the FiTech the same?

thanks again

68CoronetRT

I dont hear any injector click with mine. All I hear is the slight whistle at different throttle positions. You tune it out pretty quick though.

Fitech was the same way. There's like 1 video where the guys computer was bad and his injectors tick was pretty loud. But that was a fuel pressure regulator thing which Holley has already fixed.