News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what type of damper to use

Started by AmadeusCharger500, April 24, 2006, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Is the stock balancer okay for a moderate rebuild or should I go with an aftermarket.
Problem is I misplaced the original, and all these new ones cost a heck of a lot. I saw a used balancer like mine on ebay for $10.  What is so great about these new balancers?

Chryco Psycho

you can get a new bittel damper with SFI spec for well under $200 & it will not explode or slide around , good insurance over a 30 + year old piece with dried rubber

AmadeusCharger500

What is the purpose of the balancer, especially if I had the engine internally balanced by a machine shop?
Just wondering why not use the stock piece over spending another $150 to $200 on these new ones?

firefighter3931

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on April 25, 2006, 09:21:53 PM
What is the purpose of the balancer, especially if I had the engine internally balanced by a machine shop?
Just wondering why not use the stock piece over spending another $150 to $200 on these new ones?

The function of the balancer is to eliminate harmful harmonics that are transfered through the moving parts throughout the engine. The problem with a stock 30 year old balancer is that the outer ring will often slip and can become seperated from the inner part of the balancer....the rubber that bonds the inner hub to the outer ring will vulcanize over time. Balancers are 2 piece, by the way  ;)

Once the outer ring slips the timing marks are useless and the balancer needs to be re-indexed before you can use the mark to time the engine. As Neil said, a new sfi balancer is cheap and you don't have to worry about it coming apart or throwing your engine out of balance. Summit carries a line of economy balancers that are excellent quality. You've spent lots of time and effort rebuilding this engine....why chance it with an old part ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs