News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

clone vs modified

Started by mustanghater, August 11, 2005, 11:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustanghater

how come when you stick a hemi in a 383 Roadrunner it is considered a clone? But what if the Roadrunner has 19in cragers in the back and painted up in flames is it considered a clone or a modified? with clones going for so much money you never here about modified going for top dollar. another thing I wanted to point out is the prices for mopars.15 years ago you could buy a hemi for 10,000 now some are going for over 100,000. and prodution numbers they made more hemi cudas then hurst 300's but you don't see hurst 300's going into the triple digits.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

RD

simple:

clone - a vehicle painted, dressed, and optioned to look as original as possible, in most cases referenced to be highly desireable, low-production vehicle, but in all actuality a vehicle that was not as it seems.

modified - any vehicle modified with aftermarket parts that makes it non-original

hurst 300 vs hemicuda-  just because its rare does not mean its desireable.

hope this helps ya.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Troy

Rare does not equal expensive (see slant 6 Charger values). Hurst 300s are hideously ugly. Price is almost totally dependent on desirability from the buyer's perspective.

As for clones, a "clone" means a "copy". "Modified" generally means you took what you had and (attempted) to make it better. Modified cars are usually tailored to the owner's tastes - not necessarily to the tastes of a potential buyer. Since the buyers set the price so if they aren't impressed then the car won't sell for a lot.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

kab69440

Quote from: Troy on August 11, 2005, 12:20:24 PM
Hurst 300s are hideously ugly.

Troy

:icon_smile_shock:WHAT?????!!!!!! :o
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Silver R/T

I like modified aka hot rod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

MH you dont read the replys to the threads you start?..  ;)

IBsmokin

clones are what is made when someone cant afford the real thing, ie, taking a lemans and slapping GTO emblems on it, taking a mid to late 60's saterlitte and putting GTX emblems, or a 69 to 74 satelitte and slapping roadrunner emblems on it.
taking a normal low economy 1968 to 1970 dodge coronet and changing emblems, engine, paint sceme etc. and making it look like a superbee.   etc... I dont think there is nothing wrong with clones, there are certain cars I can not afford to buy, so i would build a clone just so I can have a semi copy of the expensive car I like,   I love the 1967 GTO but couldnt afford one so i would buy a 67 lemans for a fraction of the cost and change all the lemans emblems to a GTO and whatever modification I needed, and for the average joe they would believe i really owned a 67 GTO.   I really love super bees, but can not afford one, so I have no problem transforming an inexpensive slant six coronet or a 318 1971 dodge charger into my very own super bee.

Troy

Quote from: kab69440 on August 11, 2005, 07:07:17 PM

Troy

Do I really need to say "in my opinion"? If I could find one I'd almost immediately trade it for a car I like and I surely wouldn't be willing to pay much for it. If I suddenly had waaaaaay too much money then I'd probably buy every cool old car I could find but... I'm poor so I buy what I like.

Troy

ChargerHound69

So what would a 1968 or 1970 or 2006 General Lee be,     Clone, Replica, or Modified???

Troy

Quote from: ChargerHound69 on August 11, 2005, 10:37:23 PM
So what would a 1968 or 1970 or 2006 General Lee be,   Clone, Replica, or Modified???

One would be "rediculous" - you can figure out which one. The original show used 68s for many of the General Lees and the 70 is at least close to the right body style. None would technically be "clones" because the General Lee itself wouldn't have been a production vehicle. However, I guess you can clone racecars so who knows. The terms aren't exactly well-defined.

Troy

ChargerHound69

Very good answer, but if you notice from any Dukes of hazzard show, they all seem to look like 1969.

694spdRT

Quote from: ChargerHound69 on August 11, 2005, 10:37:23 PM
So what would a 1968 or 1970 or 2006 General Lee be,   Clone, Replica, or Modified???

I would go with an inaccurate "replica" for describing '68 and '70 Generals if they are not made to look like 1969's. Clones to me are cars made to resemble desirable factory produced vehicles, not Hollywood creations.   

On the 2006 it is just plain wrong no matter what.   :rotz:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Troy

Quote from: ChargerHound69 on August 11, 2005, 11:24:37 PM
Very good answer, but if you notice from any Dukes of hazzard show, they all seem to look like 1969.

I didn't say what they looked like - only what they used. :D

Troy

ChargerHound69

The 2006 4 door General Lee

:'( :icon_smile_dissapprove:

kab69440

Quote from: Troy on August 11, 2005, 09:32:22 PM

Troy

Do I really need to say "in my opinion"? If I could find one I'd almost immediately trade it for a car I like and I surely wouldn't be willing to pay much for it. If I suddenly had waaaaaay too much money then I'd probably buy every cool old car I could find but... I'm poor so I buy what I like.

Troy

A drop-top '70 300-Hurst is my second most coveted fantasy ride. Ugly? Aw, c'mon!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Old Moparz

Quote from: kab69440 on August 12, 2005, 09:36:06 AM
Quote from: Troy on August 11, 2005, 09:32:22 PM

Troy

Troy

A drop-top '70 300-Hurst is my second most coveted fantasy ride. Ugly? Aw, c'mon!

Hey Troy,
Whether you think they're ugly or not, you'd have to admit you wouldn't mind watching Miss Hurst Shifter doing a pole dance on the back of one.   :D   I like them, but I like the Imperials a little bit more that year with the small rear window & the huge grille/nose on them.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

kab69440

My apologies to Mustanghater. I did not mean to "jack"your thread.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Dodge-Charger

Quote, I guess you can clone racecars so who knows. The terms aren't exactly well-defined.
I think that would be a Replica not a clone.  If you made a 74 Petty or a 74 Dale car it would be a replica not a clone for one reson, they are not production cars.

Now if you took a 70 RoadRunner and made a SuperBird I think that goes under Clone. If you painted it petty blue with his number then it goes back to being a Replica. and as stated before 71 Sat into a 71 Roadrunner would be a clone.

As too Modified, If you take any year car say a 74 Charger and did any of the 1 following ( drop a 383 in, aftermarket rims being 15 or 18, painted it Lime light or added all the spoilers to it ) I think that is a Modified car being these were not options for that car.

If you redo a car back to match it's fender tag and build sheet it would be a Restored car not a friggin survivor. ( sorry, saw one this week and it pissed me off ) guy had a 73 with fresh paint and new Int. stating it was a survivor. I wanted to choke him . Any way,,,,,,   Hope that helps some.

PS. this has been just my .02

mustanghater

its mainly the hemi that I'm talking about and I loged off right when I posted. but why does a hemi make the price of the vehical go up? I know it the ultimate engine put their seems to be a hemi in just about every cuda vert made. but if you live in a average joe family like me you think about why things are so expensive.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Dodge-Charger

some people have more money than brains, and others know how to get that money from them.
How many Factory Hemi Convert Cudas were made, X How many people are willing to pay for them clone or Orig. = what ever price someone wants for that car.

Look at gas prices, if all gas stations were say Exxon and they were the only Co. that sold gas how much do you think we would have to pay for a Gal. of gas? You get the Idea