News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trip to Desert Valley Auto Parts in Pheonix, AZ

Started by 4402tuff4u, April 24, 2006, 09:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

Just got back on Saturday from a one week trip to Arizona and Utah. The weather was perfect hot (85) in the day and cool (65) at night in AZ. In Utah the weather was also perfect and such a beautiful state!!. I was able to negotiate with the wife and get 4 hrs out of the family vacation in Phoenix to get several trim parts that I needed to improve my 68 Charger R/T. I'm pretty sure I could have found it from another source, but I just wanted to see these 40 acres of cars. I could easily spend 2 days there just looking at all the Mopars there. My sister is approx. 1 hr from this place, so I had only 2 hrs to look around. The other 2 hrs was used up in traveling!!! :flame: I think I might of gotten a speeding ticket on my way back to my sisters from the junk yard cause I was doing around 85 mph on a 65 and noticed a set of four cameras and mirrors next to the highway with a sign saying that speed is enforced by photo cam devices. Oh well, I told my sister that her Volvo might be getting something in the mail. I was running late and didn't want to start off the vacation with a fight with the wife. I got the two "C" tail panel trim pieces - I only needed the left one, mine was missing a stud and it was bent. I needed one but I figured I should get both. Also got two door handles in excellent condition, rear windshield trim minus the right "C" trim piece. Did not need it but I figured I should get it since I found them in excellent condition, some small stuff like screws, antenna chrome ring and a "high-low" floor switch for the headlights - again did not need it, but it was in very good condition. I'm not sure but I think you can still buy these switches locally in auto parts stores. Anyway had a good time and I know there are other junk yards in Phoenix cause a friend of my sisters has a custom auto shop called Kreeping Kustoms and he said next time he would show me other yards that you can find Mopar cars and stuff. I really needed a few more days there!! :icon_smile_wink: :yesnod:

Just 6T9 Charger - Chris found a 69 that was laying there with no roof and no tail panel, but the fender tag was there and the VIN was there too. This Charger had a back seat just laying there and I lifted it in bingo!! there was a build sheet. It took me several minutes to take it out and I got it out in pretty good condition. It was not for the 69 Charger thou. I believe it's for a Coronet or Satellite??? WH41F9G291436. I saw a 68 that was in a fire and the fender tag was missing and the VIN was removed and the tranny engine was out......I wonder what they were going to do with the tags!!  :scratchchin: :scope: :flame:

"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

4402tuff4u

others.......

4402tuff4u

others......

4402tuff4u

terrible one

Very cool man! I HAVE to make a trip to an old yard like that with a bunch of Mopars sometime!  :icon_smile_big:

Lightning

when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Shakey

4402tuff4u

I bought the trim and the other misc. parts I mentioned above for $ 100.00. I thought it was kind of steep but then again I needed the left "C" trim pretty bad so it's worth it! The build sheet was on the house  :yesnod: :angel:

I was looking for a jack and a big block radiator for spare, but found only found a bent jack - left it there. All big block radiators were gone. Tons of 318 rads and clutch fans.

Goldfinger71

1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Charger_Fan

Cool pics, Man!
Although it was good to go, if you're anything like me, you could have spent most of the day there. ;D I always hate doing visits like that when I'm rushed.

That white convertible Coronet looks like it probably wasn't part of the rest of the boneyard cars, right?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

4402tuff4u

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on April 24, 2006, 12:50:22 PM
Cool pics, Man!
Although it was good to go, if you're anything like me, you could have spent most of the day there. ;D I always hate doing visits like that when I'm rushed.

That white convertible Coronet looks like it probably wasn't part of the rest of the boneyard cars, right?

Grant, that Coronet was parked in the "cars for sale" section, which are cars that are complete. Did'nt even have time to wait for the yard manager to give me a price!! I know, like I said if I had 2 complete days I would be able to dig through allot of the Mopars cars. Most of the treasures are buried in the cars. Everything I found was buried inside a few of the Chargers. I was minutes from calling it quits when I lifted the back seat of a burned up 68 Charger and behold there it was the trim piece I needed. Also found several A/C and non A/C control-buttons. Found two thumb dial type switches on the ground!!!! picked them up and placed them inside a glove box for someone else to find or when I return sometime in the future. Allot of damage is self inflicted from the yard guys. They cut parts out and drop cars on top of others, etc... It's really disheartening to see how they lay them one on top of others and glass gets crushed. Told my wife that next time she could go to one of these all day SPA places while I go junk yarding. There are others in Phoenix!!!

Oh Grant, Polygamy Porter is good beer! Had it in Utah! and it's true - "why have one?" :icon_smile_wink: :yesnod: :angel:

TruckDriver

Another insurance company test crash car in the middle of this pic

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemihead

In the yards I used to work at, my bosses would of had my head for a yard looking that way.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Bandit72

why arn't there any good yards like that in kansas?

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

MetallicA

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hey Mike, turns out I already have that car in the registry!   Someone must have been there in Feb of this year......maybe Shakey??
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RD

Quote from: Bandit72 on April 24, 2006, 10:20:22 PM
why arn't there any good yards like that in kansas?

later  :icon_smile_cool:

there are, you just need to ask where they are hehe
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

BLACKWOLF

WAS THERE ANY 73s WITH A GOOD REAR CLIP. I CALLED THEM AND THEY WANTED $850.00 PER SIDE FOR QTR. CLIPS. BUT, I NEED A COMPLETE REAR CLIP.
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

4402tuff4u

Quote from: BLACKWOLF on April 25, 2006, 09:20:58 AM
WAS THERE ANY 73s WITH A GOOD REAR CLIP. I CALLED THEM AND THEY WANTED $850.00 PER SIDE FOR QTR. CLIPS. BUT, I NEED A COMPLETE REAR CLIP.

For what I recall, I believe they were some late model/3rd generation Chargers there, but I was literally running around looking for my parts trying to beat the clock, so I can't really say for certain that a "73" was in fact there. I would just call them. You might want to do a net search for the yellow pages under Salvage/Junk Yards for the Phoenix area and call around. You might find them less expensive than DVAP. I believe their prices are due to their popularity and abundance of parts/vehicles. 

4402tuff4u

Quote from: BLACKWOLF on April 25, 2006, 09:20:58 AM

You might want to try these guys if you have no other luck in locating the pieces you need.
Mopar City in Oregon (815) 732-7751 or G&D Parts in Florida (904) 272-1803