News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheard a guy tell his kids: "that car is too nice to be a race car"

Started by XH29N0G, April 08, 2017, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I was in line waiting my turn....when I heard it.  Made me smile b/c my car doesn't compare to some of the others that were there today.

But I caught the bug last fall and am back at it this spring.

I'm still practicing at the drag strip and fixing small things along the way.  Still learning, but not getting much better.

1st run went well, for me, but I misjudged the end of the quarter mile and ended at 13.57 at 94.7 mph, second run was right after (they waved me in almost right after I got back - I think it was a mistake).  It was worse, I still had adrenaline from the first run... the tires broke loose in 1st and I didn't hit the shifts that well.  It ended up at 13.87 and 103.4 mph. 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cdr

VERY COOL, have you checked to make sure when you mash the throttle to the floor that your carb is going W-O-THROTTLE ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XH29N0G

I have checked, but I'll check again.  I think it is more likely my shifting technique is not as good as it needs to be.

The 60 foot time looks pretty good 1.65 to 1.72 when I get a good start, but I then need to make 4 shifts. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

cdr

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 08, 2017, 06:50:15 PM
I have checked, but I'll check again.  I think it is more likely my shifting technique is not as good as it needs to be.

The 60 foot time looks pretty good 1.65 to 1.72 when I get a good start, but I then need to make 4 shifts.  

I uderstand the shift part but for your HP the MPH should be better, what was the altitude, air density, what track.
my 512 went 116 & it 2.20 60 foot & it still needs to be dial in tuning, not putting anything down on your car, just trying to help.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

XH29N0G

I understand your point and have been thinking this myself.  The best mph I have gotten is just above 106 maybe 107.  The options are that the engine isn't pulling what they said it is, I messed something up by fiddling, or my driving. 

I am pretty close to sea level - track is capitol raceway Temperature was about 60, the weather report (on the web) says it was 18% humidity 29.97 w/ 12 mph wind. don't remember the wind though.

I'll check the butterflies.  I have not tried to log a/f on a run or anything else.  I was logging with a laptop and I do not know what I am allowed to do that way at the track. 

My bet right now is that I can drive it better.  I think I lose time on power with each shift. I am also basically a novice at all of this - so learning as I go.

Or maybe it protects us. 

cdr

If I remember it made 550ish hp, Muscle Motors ?,,,  1st check throttle, then check TOTAL timing, if I remember you have alum heads, start with 34 total all in by 2500 ish rpm, then check WOT afr, shoot for 12.5ish & tune from there.

c00nhunterjoe

1.6 60'. Thats impressive on a 2 ton car. 103 mph sounds awful low but correct for the et. Im with cdr, verify full throttle. The 107 mph is good for mid 12s.

XH29N0G

This is about what their dyno yielded (just under 530 HP at 5300 and 590 Ft lb). I do not know timing they ran.  With my local gas, I have not been able to run the timing over about 32* without getting knock. It came set at 34*.  I did some more reading since your last post and now understand that the ET is more strongly correlated with the lower acceleration and the MPH the upper end (HP).  Thus the torque is setting the 60 foot, but the MPH is low for the numbers I have, even with parasitic loss. 

Other information that may or may not be relevant:

I am running 2.5 inch pipes with mufflers and resonators (both straight through). 
I have 245 60's on the front.  Do not know if that makes a difference.
I also changed the carburetor to a Q-850-AN from the QFT-830.  The 850 has smaller venturies and larger boosters which could affect airflow.  I can test that by switching back.  The 850 runs a lot nicer on the road with the transition circuit, but I know that is not what I am on with the 1/4 runs.

I'll check these and do some more tests.  It may be a while (possibly a very long while) before I get this done though.  Thanks for the comment.  I has made me think, and I believe it has also made me learn some things.

Or maybe it protects us. 

Challenger340

The 1.65 to 1.72 60 ft, with a 103 to 104 mph, should eventually still result in a solid 12 second run ?

IMO,
the high 13's at this point = shifting the "run of the mill" 833 4spd
and,
by the time you figure out how to get the E.T. down closer to "correct" for the 60 ft and mph, using the run of the mill 833 ? ..... it may prove extremely hard(expensive) on parts, and the car.

just me,
but while the "std" 833 4 spd is fun to drive on the street, once a guy puts a bit of power if front of them, they are quite a bit slower E.T. at the track for 99.9% of guys vrs auto/converter. 

The "833"'s of yesteryear ie Sox & Martin, Landy etc., were a pretty tricked out unit for that reason, because behind power the "std" 833's just don't want to shift, and learning to speed shift them can be a bear under load(track).

A regular "run of the mill" 833 4 spd is NOT a very good drag race transmission
Nobody ever likes to hear what I've just said about "run of the mill" 833's for track use, it's just not popular and indeed bordering on "sacrilegious" for many people by me saying so, but if I had a Dollar(inflation) for every customer over the deacdes who insisted on using their 833 for Track trial with their new engine..... then got the bug and wanted to go faster or at least "respectable" ET for their power.... every single one of them eventually goes Auto/Converter and went way faster using the same power, after dumping many thousands in broken parts attempting the 833.

All I am saying is this.
Go to the Track... ENJOY your car and getting the best E.T. possible with the 833.
But if indeed the "bug" gets you and it's going to be a regular form of entertainment ? or you want an immediate lowering of E.T. ?
Don't spend thousands, good money after bad, on some mis-guided romantic notion around an 833 4spd, before at least "considering" an Auto/Converter combination ? just cheaper and quicker in the long run.

Just my opinion, no wars wanted.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

XH29N0G

I heard an automatic would be faster, and now I can definitely see why it would be for me and my shifting. 

I still really enjoy the manual and won't switch. 

A manual is what my car came with - albeit, originally a 3 speed on the floor. I switched it to an 833 in the 1980's and had that for a while.  About 5 years ago, I switched again, for a TKO 600 because of the OD. I find the TKO has a learning curve and for me is more difficult to shift smoothly.  The runs at the track have allowed me to identify and correct things with that too. 

For me, this car is a labor of love, and a source of enjoyment.  I won't be racing, or showing it in a serious way, just driving and enjoying.  If there is an incidental race or show, I'll do that.  That is the way it will most likely be.

Thanks everyone.  I always appreciate the feedback and information that is provided.     

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

Bring it up to cecil, i will show you how to shift an 833.....

XH29N0G

Thank you for the offer.  I'll let you know if it seems like something to try.  Won't be for a while though.

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

Well i cant say that i would drive it. But i would give you pointers and help you tune it. How far from cecil are you?

cdr

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 09, 2017, 05:12:00 PM
Thank you for the offer.  I'll let you know if it seems like something to try.  Won't be for a while though.

Dont give up, very cool that you made it back to the track, I have been trying to go again & do some tuning, but weather & my health have not let it happen.

XH29N0G

It looks like 80 miles it said an hour and 40 minutes on google maps by the most direct route.  I would appreciate the guidance.

CDR thanks.  here's to you making it back to the track, too.

Or maybe it protects us.