News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dana 60 to 8 3/4 swap - Does size matter for the drive shaft?

Started by 5hunert, April 02, 2017, 11:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5hunert

Has anyone here ever (successfully) re-used the slightly shorter drive shaft when replacing a Dana 60 with an 8 3/4?  According to the FSM, 8 3/4 equipped B bodies came with a 52.07 in driveshaft while Dana 60 equipped cars had a shorter 50.96 long driveshaft.  Will the lack of 1.11 inches in driveshaft length cause a problem? 
I'm trying to make my 69 Charger more interstate friendly for a long distance road trip this summer. Its a 440 auto that came with a 4:10 Dana as part of the A32 axle package. This is a blast around town but sux at 70MPH.  I located a correct 8 3/4 setup with 2.76 gears, but don't know if I also need to chase down the matching length drive shaft.  Back in the day when I was less informed, my crowd used to go the other direction and regularly replaced 8 3/4s with Danas without suffering ill effects. 

And yes, I'm holding on to the Dana in case the car ever becomes a numbers matching trailer queen.  Its just my experience that its a lot cheaper and easier to change out the entire housing than swapping out gears ratios in a Dana.

Thanks!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

chargerbr549

I thought I read somewhere lately that somebody makes different length slip yokes for a 727 that would eliminate the need for shortening or lengthening the driveshaft in some cases?

BSB67

Quote from: chargerbr549 on April 04, 2017, 12:56:36 AM
I thought I read somewhere lately that somebody makes different length slip yokes for a 727 that would eliminate the need for shortening or lengthening the driveshaft in some cases?

That is not the issue.  You want the u-joint as close to the yoke support as possible without interference through expected motion.

If you were building a drive shaft, the common rule is for a min of 3/4" and max of 1" forward movement from rest position.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

bad88t-top

I'm actually performing the same swap now on a 70 Charger.   What did you end up doing when you swapped yours?
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

John_Kunkel

The main thing you need to know on this subject is the difference in the dimension from the center of the axle shaft to the center of the u-joint.

Centerline of Axle Shaft to Center of Universal Yoke dimension for the 8 3/4" is 12.35" and for the 9 3/4" it is 13.47". As you can see, the difference is 1.120" so the driveshaft length must be adjusted accordingly when swapping rears.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

5hunert

Quote from: bad88t-top on October 26, 2018, 01:00:24 PM
I'm actually performing the same swap now on a 70 Charger.   What did you end up doing when you swapped yours?
I ended up chasing down a 52" driveshaft.  I plan on putting the shorter shaft in at some point to see how it works.

flyinlow

I would be concerned with the amount of spline engagement. 1 1/8" less spline overlap could really stress the part of the spline still engaged when the yoke is pulled rearward.   For example, doing burn outs in reverse ,  accelerating hard over rough surfaces ( both bad ideas) or backing up a steep incline.

c00nhunterjoe

The 1 1/8 shorter length is because the rear is longer and will therefore bottom out the driveshaft against the tailshaft over bumps, or hard accel. Bad news.

Bronzedodge

Wow.  4.10 to 2.76 is a huge change.  You might hate it.  3.23 or 3.55 is a good all around gear.  A bit easier to swap center sections w the 8 3/4.
Mopar forever!

5hunert

Quote from: Bronzedodge on October 28, 2018, 09:18:09 AM
Wow.  4.10 to 2.76 is a huge change.  You might hate it.  3.23 or 3.55 is a good all around gear.  A bit easier to swap center sections w the 8 3/4.
It should drop rpm at 60 mph from around 3000 rpm to 2100. I'm planning to drive from Seattle to Talladega.  Each 1mpg I can gain will equal about $300 in fuel cost. I'll probably stick some 3:23s in when I get back home.

alfaitalia

When I raised the gearing on my Jeep from 4.10 to 3.55...I was expecting a good improvement in mpg on the open road. What did I get?...well very close to no difference at all is what...barely measurable on tank top to tank to checks. If you think of each cylinder burning a "drop" of fuel every some it fires....then although you are burning less drops of fuel you are burning bigger ones...due to the extra load......especially on anything other than flat roads. Hills might mean you are in a lower cog too...making it worse. I'm not saying is won't be worth it...the lower revs, noise and more relaxed feel could be worth it alone....but don't expect the mpg improvements the maths might tell you to expect.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

A383Wing

well, you must have done your math wrong......with him going from 4:10 to a 2:76 gear.....it will make a big difference in fuel mileage on the road trip next year

I made a run from Seattle to Canada back when 9-11 hit......fully loaded car, 3 adults also.....got 24.5mpg in the Daytona......