News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast and Furious 8 trailer. Check it out.

Started by Kern Dog, March 10, 2017, 04:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

polywideblock

non stop thrills and spills ,glad to see Jason statham on the right side this time  :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

cincyboy

I know their job is to make money and their doing that but I hate it! 
I loved these movies when they were about good friends, love, your code, car culture with a dash of sexy, mixed with crosses with the law and other outlaws.   Now there is submarines, unlimited firepower, electronics beyond what is likely even possible.  The actors keep getting bigger, it feels  James Bondish.  :shruggy: I'm a huge fan so Ill watch but I'm afraid we will see these movies died with Paul Walker.  Who by the way was a real car guy.   Watch the making of reel for Fast 6 on DVD.  Driving a car scares the crap outta Vin Diesel lol.  Maybe I'm to much a die hard fan.  Not sure. :brickwall:

#tunanocrust
#rippaulwalker

Mike DC

The series almost surely peaked at #5-6.  That director (who did #3-6) was quitting after #6 and in an ideal world they would have ended the series there.  #7 and #8 are different people.  

But Hollywood isn't in the business to make great art.  Never was.  F&F is headed back to where it started: lowbrow action to make a buck.  

It's disappointing but whatever.  At least they are still doing some real car action on movie screens.  I don't look forward to the day when it's all CGI.  IMO that day is probably coming, with the enormous cost of these action sequences.  

Kern Dog

It looks like Charlize Theron plays a tech terrorist that hacked into a multitude of cars at one time to create that huge car wreck scene. Yeah....Like you can start cars that are parked and move them remotely...
What about manual transmission cars? How do you get an automatic car out of PARK? Sure, the throttle is controlled by "drive by wire" but what about the brakes and steering?
I call bullshit on this.

alfaitalia

Spoil sport!......maybe they should keep it true to life...like Star Wars! Lol. To me cinema is all about escapism. I can look out the window everyday and see boring real life.

polywideblock

so your saying the gps guided parachuting cars in 7 aren't real  :o  its not meant to be real if it was you might as well sit in front of the box and watch the news  :slap:

Mike DC

Shift-by-wire has been showing up in cars for a while.  It's not universal but it definitely exists. 

We might as well be driving a lot of these modern cars with mouse clicks. 

cbrestorations

the unrealistic stunts are just too much...gets corny, it is a car movie so i watch it but half the time im just shaking my head

Kern Dog

I wonder how much of that is to hide shitty acting or bad  choreography. If the scenes are clipped and edited with the shots lasting only 1 to 1.25 seconds each, you can't tell how bad anything is. I've seen car stunts that are clearly done at 40-45 mph edited to look much faster. Look at the pace of the lane markers on the asphalt and it is obvious.

Mike DC

The fast editing & shaky camera work got started because of the mood effect.  It makes the scene feel more real-world and faster paced.  (This the theory anyway.  It has been SO, SO overdone in the last 15-20 years.)

Sometimes they use choppy editing to cope with weak footage, yeah.  But more often these days it's just a creative decision.  Modern shoots are so expensive and audiences are so demanding, etc.  Everyone is less willing to compromise over technical problems than in the past.  If the footage is weak they are more likely to re-shoot it or fix it with CGI.

They typically do speed the footage up.  That's standard procedure in every Hollywood chase whether it's 1967 or 2017.  It's not visible when they do it, it's visible when they overdo it.  

What's the difference between a band-aid for weak footage, versus a creative decision to make the footage just look cooler?  Gray area.  Debatable. 

RCCDrew

I hear unrealistic stunts and bad acting. Makes me think of Dukes of Hazzard. And I own a General! I love F&F because of the mopars. I get to stick it in my buddies' faces (Chevy and Furd owners).  Everyone knows the second gen Charger is the most badass looking car in existence. That's why they are always the main characters car. I'm ready for the next Mopar glorification movie!!

polywideblock

RCCDrew

Quote from: polywideblock on March 11, 2017, 05:03:07 AM
you'll be disapointe to see doms roadrunner gtx then  :lol: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoY027tttwc
Better than his old chevelle!  He still has a Charger though.

Kern Dog

Quote from: CDN72SE on March 10, 2017, 01:37:00 PM
Almost too much action, lol.

You are right. The action is great but really seems to move too fast. I miss so much trying to absorb it all. I understand that these movies are supposed to be entertaining but holy crap...Too much is too damn much.
The rapid editing seems like a bullshit crutch for actual skill and acting. You can shoot scenes with guys moving at 45 mph and edit it together with 1 second between edits, switching from multiple angles and it all looks much faster and violent than it is. The problem is, it looks like shit.
These movies are fun but are really a total ridiculous fantasy. Cars that fly from building to building? Cars getting dropped from planes that actually land where you want AND on the tires? Freeway wrecks where the hero flies in the air to catch  a woman? Cars flying off 600 foot cliffs into rivers? A bank vault being towed by 2 unibody cars, hitting buildings, digging into the pavement yet they still are not bogged down and stalled out? Nosss ???

polywideblock

if you want "reality" watch the news  :slap:  these shows are meant to be an escape from reality /life for a couple of hours of fun/action

based on the fact the action moves to fast for you , the acting sux , the editing sux , the camera work sux , the story line sux

I suggest you watch a "chick flick" next time it might be more your pace  :lol:

Kern Dog

alfaitalia

"tea drinking crumpet eating criminal"????

Well at least they are not stereotyping us British...LOL!

For the record....This Brit hates tea!!

brad mcintyre

where was the picture of custom chargers on a trailer thought to be for fast and furious :shruggy:

Mike DC

The action overload thing has goods & bads.  If the movie sucks and you only ever watch it once, then it's just wasted.  But the surplus stuff may give a fun movie more replay value.  

It depends.  Sometimes action overload is because of too much creativity being edited into a short scene.  Other times they didn't use enough creativity and just blew shit up.  

IMO the safe-hauling scene at the end of #5 was one of the highlights of the series.  It's fake, yeah, but it's the right kind of fake.  Once you swallow one big physics violation at the beginning of the scene then it doesn't keep worsening.  The rest of the physics are "internally consistent" if you accept the big whopper.  And they used the whopper to make something really fun to watch.  

Any Dukes fan knows what I'm talking about.  You start the episode already knowing Hazzard's unique physics.  It's not a new insult to your intelligence every time a car jumps/wrecks.

Kern Dog

I get it. They are in the business to entertain. It just has been pushed so far, it might as well be a cartoon with the CGI and stunts that would never happen in any normal life where gravity rules.

TPR

I can see the appeal, but I've never been able to sit through one of these.
Maybe one day.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Mike DC

QuoteI get it. They are in the business to entertain. It just has been pushed so far, it might as well be a cartoon with the CGI and stunts that would never happen in any normal life where gravity rules.

Part of me agrees.  They have shifted a long way from their B-movie street racing roots. 

But for better or worse I don't see them toning it down any time soon.  The more recent FF movies have made ENORMOUS money.  They aren't just profitable, they are making figures like X-Men or 007 or Star Trek.  Way beyond what they would ever get from a teenage drive-in gearhead movie like FF#1.