News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winter project- engine change (bad news)..(GOOD NEWS)

Started by keith88, February 05, 2017, 04:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

OK it done and running going to do a few more odds and ends but the engine is  finished soon it will be ready for the season that starts in 6 weeks or so. Here's some finial shots and a couple of quick video of it running.

Pic:

Painted the front end parts and chassis as well:

Videos:

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

keith88

OK this is the last post on this,engine in running,cleaned up and back home. Also 2 new rear tires and fixed the gas gauge so i know when im going to run out in stead of having to guess. Cant wait for the season to start now.

Pics:

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

TheBipolarRoller

Baldwinvette77

keith88

Bad news oil pressure drop ..check bearing and found some bad ones the engine was not new but low mileage. My remote filter could have starved the oil needed , so it back to the drawing board ,now i have to rebuild it new. :brickwall: :'(

Baldwinvette77

Damn it.. thats a shame...im fearing the same thing on my engine, but i wont know til i try  :rotz: but on the bright side, stroker kit?

Kern Dog

You didn't pull any caps to check the condition of the bearings? Did you "Pre-oil" before you started it? New oil pump? I see that you had to change the oil pan, this is prime time to do all of those things.
If you did check, I guess that they all seemed fine?

keith88

The engine was a used one with about 30,000 on it i was told we took it apart and checked the bearing both main and rods they looked good we did put a new high volume pump in it and re-gasket it the cylinder walls also looked good. My guess is that one of the hoses that go to the remote filter must of collapsed and that caused the issue. It had 75 pounds when we started it this was the 1st time i took it on the highway just a short trip to the next exit and back. I noticed that the pressure dropped to 30-40 pounds than went to 5 at a stop a we took the pan off and found one really bad rod bearing and a few main that had ware but savable. I i will have to do the whole lower end.   

c00nhunterjoe

I would verify the source of the drop unless you are replacing everything.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

keith88

Making progress new used motor in, might of luck out in the process...This one is an 89 360 with 36,000 mile on it out of a truck it had a roller cam but I took it out in favor of the bigger comp cam I bought(flat tappet)I also took off the fuel injection in favor of my carb set up but they come with a better set of heads with higher compression so that should help. Should be bringing it home Thursday.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: keith88 on February 20, 2017, 05:40:58 PM
Bad news oil pressure drop ..check bearing and found some bad ones the engine was not new but low mileage. My remote filter could have starved the oil needed , so it back to the drawing board ,now i have to rebuild it new. :brickwall: :'(

Could it be some of that paint you squirted all over the valve springs came loose and worked it's way down into the pan and plugged up your pick up screen?

Kern Dog

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 07, 2017, 10:20:24 PM

Could it be some of that paint you squirted all over the valve springs came loose and worked it's way down into the pan and plugged up your pick up screen?

Well, that is a bit rude.
Paint on valve springs looks sloppy but causes no problems like you describe.

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 07, 2017, 10:42:24 PM

I have seen paint plug up a oil pick up screen

Quote from: keith88 on March 07, 2017, 06:36:15 PM
Making progress new used motor in, might of luck out in the process...This one is an 89 360 with 36,000 mile on it out of a truck it had a roller cam but I took it out in favor of the bigger comp cam I bought(flat tappet)I also took off the fuel injection in favor of my carb set up but they come with a better set of heads with higher compression so that should help. Should be bringing it home Thursday.

WHY in the WORLD did you remove the roller cam for a flat tappet cam, I would reconsider that mistake.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

keith88

No it was not the paint over spray on the springs we cleaned that off before it was assembled the screen was clear, it was do to a high volume pump and a remote oil filter that did not return the oil to the pan quick enough..should have taken it off or used a bigger pan, hind site is 20/20. As for the cam.. The brand new cam I bought was a bigger cam and would work better than what it had in this engine. I did struggle with the decision but it was a kit that I bought and really didn't want to waist the money i spent, if it was closer in size i would have left it alone.  Had i know i would end up with a roller engine i would have bought a roller cam for sure , The engine was replaced for free so it did cost me anything there.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 07, 2017, 10:42:24 PM

Bullshit !

keith88

Well i got the car back the engine is even better than the other one,runs better oil pressure is really good 90 at start up 60 when when warm and driving 50 at low idle. The only issue that we will look at is a small lifter noise from #1 cylinder that we had a machine shop owner in our car club look at said its getting plenty of oil but wants me to drive for a bit to see if it goes a way if not he will put a slightly longer push rod in tho fix,nothing big though even comp cams the maker of the cam I put in says that happens sometimes. I will have to get a front end aliment seeing it some how got off in this process...thinking when they did it last they might have forgotten to tighten the nuts down good.
Here's some shots of it back in

Kern Dog

Looks good. Glad to see that things are working out for you.   :2thumbs:

BLK 68 R/T

Glad to hear you got it fixed and running again.

keith88

Thanks guys. To finish off the new engine install I had a stock style air cleaner decal made to fit my air cleaner to give it a vintage look. :yesnod: Now if this snow would go away so the season could start! :icon_smile_angry: