News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2468370 big block bellhousing small center

Started by John Milner, March 03, 2017, 09:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

I have a 2468370 big block bellhousing I'm wanting to use in my 68 Charger with my 440 and '69 A833 4 speed.  My bellhousing has the small 4.3 center bore.  Does anyone know if this can safely be bored out to match the bearing retainer on my transmission?  It is around 4.8.  To me it looks like it will get into the clutch fork mounting area.  Has anyone ever bored a bellhousing out like this before?  I'm not wanting to pay big money for another one. 

John_Kunkel

It might be easier to simply change the front bearing retainer on the trans.

The 4.35" retainer has the 3.70" bolt circle, the 4.805" retainer can have either the 3.70" or the 4.16" bolt circle. If your retainer has the smaller bolt circle you can change the retainer to fit your 4.35" bellhousing. As far as boring the bellhousing, many say it has been done.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

John Milner

I will check and see what the bearing retainer bolt circle is. That would be great just to bolt another retainer on.  I can re-case the transmission I guess but it sounds easier just to bore the case or replace the bearing retainer.  Thanks for the information.

John Milner

It looks as if I got lucky and will be able to swap retainers.  I measured center to center on the bolt holes and get 3.70.  I'll see about getting one ordered.  Thanks for the tip. 

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.