News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Estimated cost to build

Started by BSB67, March 04, 2017, 09:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSB67

Has anyone put together a spread sheet with all the items, or possible items, and associated costs, for building a high performance engine starting from scratch?  I'm talking the all-in cost for the "under the hood" stuff (up to, and including the flex plate, and not from the torque converter back), from project start to the car rolling out of the garage under power, not just the "engine" (what ever that is), but the thousands of $'s spent on stuff that is probably over looked or not counted. 

If so, can you share or post it?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Challenger340

Quote from: BSB67 on March 04, 2017, 09:02:28 AM
Has anyone put together a spread sheet with all the items, or possible items, and associated costs, for building a high performance engine starting from scratch?  I'm talking the all-in cost for the "under the hood" stuff (up to, and including the flex plate, and not from the torque converter back), from project start to the car rolling out of the garage under power, not just the "engine" (what ever that is), but the thousands of $'s spent on stuff that is probably over looked or not counted. 

If so, can you share or post it?

This is an excellent idea  :2thumbs:

Only wimps wear Bowties !

alfaitalia

Absolutely NOT....if my wife saw what I'm spend/planning to spend, my life expectancy would be a matter of minutes. I'm not sure I want to know either. :smilielol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

c00nhunterjoe

I do not have a fancy spreadsheet, but i can get you a list from mine.... i will probably cry when a start writing it all down even though it will be far less then most since i do the majority of the work.

To clarify, are we just talking carb to oil pan motor, trans and rear? Or are we adding suspension brakes and wiring as well??

cdr

Do you want me to include the things I would not have wasted my money on IF I would have had a nice spread sheet ? :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Draco

Wow, I thought about putting a sheet together but I feared that it would be a lot higher then thought. And my wife can't see that.

ws23rt

This question is out of my expertise in todays dollars.- It's a moving target.
What made my socks roll up and down many years ago is out of date.

What I like today about the old cars is what they were like when new.  Making that happen again should be an easy math problem.

The words "high performance"  and -cost- when put together makes the mind boggle and my head hurt. :shruggy:

So I bought a hellcat --and still have my 69 hemi 4sp coronet --as it was made-- to give me the good from two different times.

cost--64k for the hellcat and $900 for the coronet (in 1980) :shruggy:

About performance with the hellcat---Some folks could not stomach one with a man. trans. because it was slower at the drag strip than the auto trans.---performance-- :shruggy:

We can buy performance with cubic dollars to have and enjoy it like a coat of paint.   And we can also enjoy what we pay for at the track.  Having it all is not cheap.

Scaregrabber

It's a good idea. I especially like the crate Hemi guys. Now we can add the engine mounts, K-member, trans, convertor, flex plate and bolts. Then there's the antifreeze, belts, oil, filters, alt mounts, pulleys etc. It really adds up.

Sheldon

c00nhunterjoe

Ok, im working on my list:

question 1: do used parts get placed on the list and marked as such?
2: do i mark them as used and place their source (craigslist, ebay) and include new (summit, jegs price?
3: shall we include the wiring, fuse blocks, starters, relays and alternators as well?

Im hoping to have my list finished tonight then will attempt putting it in a spreadsheet.

c00nhunterjoe

Here is my extremely unprofessional attempt at a spreadsheet that kicked my butt. This is what i just dropped into my car.

BSB67

Here are some things that I think people don't necessarily think of, or don't plan on initially, but once they are into it, have a hard time not replacing or buying new.

Carb,
carb brackets (throttle extension, return spring bracket, spring, KD linkage and bracket) ,
air cleaner,
Air filter
exhaust, (headers, clamps, hangers, mufflers, bolts, gaskets)
flex plate and bolts,
fuel pump,
fuel pump push rod,
fuel filter,
fuel line,
fuel clamps,
radiator,
radiator hoses and clamps
Water pump,
water pump housing,
heater hoses and clamps and pipe nipples
fan,
fan shroud, 
valve covers,
VC breather,
grommets,
pcv, 
alternator, 
pulleys and brackets,
battery,
battery cables,
distributor,
ignition system,
coil,
motor mounts,
torque strap,
oil,
oil filter,
oil pump,
oil pump drive shaft,
oil pick-up,
windage tray,
dip stick
oil sending unit,
oil pressure gauge, 
temperature sending unit,
anti freeze,
belts,
fasteners,
gaskets (timing, water pump, head, exhaust, intake, carb, valve cover...),
gasket  sealants,
Teflon tape 
cleaners,
paint,
spark plugs
plug wires
wire looms,

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1974dodgecharger

Rubberduck

My experience when working on cars is: double the calculated costs and everything takes four times longer than expected.
ยด68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed