News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 engine questions

Started by keith88, March 04, 2017, 05:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

What year did the 360 start coming with a roller cam? and what year did they bump the compression to 9:1. Any info on a 360 around that time they had roller cam would be appreciated.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Dino

I think they got the roller and throttle body fi in the late 80s. 88-89 or so. I initially planned on finding a 318 car and get a truck 360 with efi, but I found one that had a 440 in it so that was that. I don't know when the comp was bumped.

Do a search on tuning LA blocks. You can get a lot of oomph out of those things.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

keith88

I ask because i just got a another engine to replace the one that had a bearing issue and it had a roller cam in it ,I haven't gotten down there to see it yet but was told it did was just wondering what year that started and if the compression was higher on them. Have some research to do. :scratchchin:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Dino

If it's a truck 360 with a roller cam and efi then I'd seriously consider getting it, if the price is right. They should have a decent amount of torque.

flyinlow

keith88

Quote from: Dino on March 05, 2017, 09:35:23 AM
If it's a truck 360 with a roller cam and efi then I'd seriously consider getting it, if the price is right. They should have a decent amount of torque.
I was told it is a truck motor,I'm getting it for free as a replacement to what i was given. This one i was told was running and the last one hadn't been in a while.

Dino

Free is good!   :2thumbs:

Does it/did it have efi that you know of?

keith88

No we used my intake and carb and my cam  kit that i just bought bigger than what was in there but not real radical.

Dino

Gotcha

Here's hoping for a better outcome!

keith88

Thanks ..I can use a better outcome. I got a call yesterday that it had a roller in it and that it was all ready to be put in this week ,probably going to stop by tomorrow after work and take some pictures of the casting numbers to see if i can see what year and any info on it. I dont think either of us expected to find a roller in this motor.

crj1968

Hey Keith- good infor here is you haven't seen it before....

http://www.magnumswap.com/

keith88

Thanks for that link.  Would any one know if a NON -magnum motor came with a roller or can i assume that this engine is a magnum engine?

crj1968

The roller cam was part of the new "magnum" series engine.  Roller cams did not come in any LA motor that I know of.

"The best part about using a Magnum engine is that the expensive machine shop bill associated with a full rebuild can generally be avoided. Unlike their low compression LA 360 counterparts, the Magnum engines have better, more consistent machining, lighter internal parts, and performance compatible compression ratios straight from the factory. They also carry hydraulic roller camshafts, capable of generating more street-friendly horsepower than flat tappet designs. Hydraulic roller cams are zero maintenance and there are no worries about zinc content in your oil or flattened lifters."

keith88

I did read that but wasn't sure if they came only in magnum engines. If so that would mean that this motor is a magnum and an improvement over what it had ..good deal....hope its true!! :2thumbs:

crj1968

Isn't every engine from that era with those straight down head bolts called a "magnum?"  I think so.    :scratchchin:

chargerbr549

I believe they started putting roller cams in the 1989 360 pre-magnum motors. The roller cammed 318 came out several years earlier than the 360, I used to know the exact years of all that stuff but I don't remember that stuff like I used to.

69wannabe

Quote from: chargerbr549 on March 05, 2017, 11:08:33 PM
I believe they started putting roller cams in the 1989 360 pre-magnum motors. The roller cammed 318 came out several years earlier than the 360, I used to know the exact years of all that stuff but I don't remember that stuff like I used to.

This is correct, I just rebuilt a 318 that was date coded 1986 and it was a roller cam engine from the factory. The reason I rebuilt it was because the owner put an aftermarket roller cam in it and it burned up all the rocker arms and the rocker arm shafts. I didn't figure out what he had done until we got it back from the machine shop and was putting the cam into the engine. The non magnum engine's oiled the rocker's through the heads into the rocker shaft's like the early LA engines and the magnum engines oiled through the push rods. He had bought a magnum style cam and it didn't have the oiling holes to oil through the heads so we had to order a roller cam with the oiling holes in the cam. Not sure about the 360 but the 318 had a roller cam in it as early as 1986. I think that was the first year for the roller cam in the LA engine but I may be wrong.... 

keith88

OK that being said i put a non-roller Hydraulic comp cam in it(not really sure of the year of engine yet) will I have an oiling issue? And how can i tell if the oiling system uses the heads or cam, it had a roller in it. :scratchchin:

RCCDrew

The non magnum LA roller engine is a good find. Get the heads too if they are available. The 308 heads are supposed to be one of the best factory heads out there, with a magnum style exhaust port. So you have a roller cam engine with a good set of heads AND shaft mount rocker setup. Win win. Compression is not impressive. Will require work there. The magnum head had closed chambers which addressed the compression.
The magnum block will have a boss at the back of the block where the crank sensor bolts on. The LA won't, IIRC.

keith88

Just found out that's its a 89 360 truck motor that did have fuel injection and a roller cam.

keith88

Hard to find info on this engine conflicting info on compression any info people may have would be welcome. :scratchchin: