News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Picked up next years winter project.

Started by rtsb, February 28, 2017, 06:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsb

I decided it was time to start thinking ahead and purchased 8 3/4 rear end 742 3:23 open It's for my 73 Charger SE Ill put a 489 or just keep the 742 probably going with 3:55 gears in it wake up my 400 bb lol. Looking forward to tinkering with it .

sccachallenger

looks like it's out of a truck or van.
Measure it before you spend any money on it, probably wider than your stock rear.
May be able to sell to pay for a B housing and axles.
Center section and brakes will swap to the right housing.

stripedelete

Quote from: sccachallenger on February 28, 2017, 07:48:41 PM
Measure it before you spend any money on it, probably wider than your stock rear.

How can you tell?

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Kern Dog

The leaf spring pads do appear to look like what you see from trucks since they are on TOP of the housing!

garner7555

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 28, 2017, 08:17:28 PM
The leaf spring pads do appear to look like what you see from trucks since they are on TOP of the housing!

Yep,   :yesnod:    That's what I noticed as well.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

rtsb

Yep came out of a station wagon  and yes I do research before I purchase something. It's about 1.5 inches longer than the one thats in my car no biggie I can either have a different off set wheel or I'll have my friend who' has a fabrication shop cut the flange and put it to the proper length and flip the perches I used to work on his sprint cars so he owes me lots of favors lol.
It's a b housing it's a 71-74 SW 8 3/4 b-body 59.2 mines a 57.8 

rtsb

Quote from: stripedelete on February 28, 2017, 08:12:09 PM

How can you tell?

Perches are on top the axle.

Scaregrabber

Did you check the gearset? Maybe you got lucky and got a 3.23, 3.55 or 3.91 and a suregrip?

Sheldon

rtsb

Quote from: Scaregrabber on March 01, 2017, 12:36:50 AM
Did you check the gearset? Maybe you got lucky and got a 3.23, 3.55 or 3.91 and a suregrip?

Sheldon

The guy who sold me it is a big Mopar nut I got it for $350.00 he would not of sold it that cheap ha ha.

Kern Dog

No station wagon ever had the leaf springs over the axle. The perches are where they would be on a truck or van. If you believe that this one was from a station wagon, why would someone do this? Are there any signs that there ever were mounts UNDER the axle?
Not trying to insult you. Truck and station wagon axles are the widest that you will find. No 8 3/4" axle ever had mounts for coil spring suspension, no panhard rods, watts linkages.....AND every one with spring pads on top were used in trucks and vans.

rtsb

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 01, 2017, 01:08:58 AM
No station wagon ever had the leaf springs over the axle. The perches are where they would be on a truck or van. If you believe that this one was from a station wagon, why would someone do this? Are there any signs that there ever were mounts UNDER the axle?
Not trying to insult you. Truck and station wagon axles are the widest that you will find. No 8 3/4" axle ever had mounts for coil spring suspension, no panhard rods, watts linkages.....AND every one with spring pads on top were used in trucks and vans.

Let me rephrase the answer I was given it came off a truck or station wagon because the 59.2 that's measured also says station wagon under the rear axle dimensions that's why I said this  . Honestly i could care less if it came off of a Mack truck It will work for what I want to do okay go school some one else. Thanks for ruining the thread idiot.

Kern Dog

Who is the idiot? The guy that makes a mistake or the guy that points it out?  THIS is your type of logic?   :smilielol:
Ruining a thread?  You call "telling the truth" ruining a thread? If you had some basic knowledge about cars and trucks, you'd have known that this axle was from a truck or van. Maybe someone pulled it out of the back of a station wagon. That does not make it a station wagon axle. Hey, nobody is paid to give you advice here. YOU started the thread and people responded. It is petty and ignorant to get mad at someone that knows more than you do. ALL cars had leaf springs that went UNDER the axle.
Go school someone else? How stupid or mislead would you feel if you made mistakes that everyone saw coming, yet even your closest friends never stepped up to help? Maybe you are embarrassed about the mistake Get over it, man...we all make mistakes. Smart people learn from them and do what they can to avoid making them again.
If I see someone that is going the wrong way on a project, I feel it is just basic human courtesy to offer some help. Are you the type to let people screw up when you could have helped?

rtsb

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 01, 2017, 02:15:10 AM
Who is the idiot? The guy that makes a mistake or the guy that points it out?  THIS is your type of logic?   :smilielol:
Ruining a thread?  You call "telling the truth" ruining a thread? If you had some basic knowledge about cars and trucks, you'd have known that this axle was from a truck or van. Maybe someone pulled it out of the back of a station wagon. That does not make it a station wagon axle. Hey, nobody is paid to give you advice here. YOU started the thread and people responded. It is petty and ignorant to get mad at someone that knows more than you do. ALL cars had leaf springs that went UNDER the axle.
Go school someone else? How stupid or mislead would you feel if you made mistakes that everyone saw coming, yet even your closest friends never stepped up to help? Maybe you are embarrassed about the mistake Get over it, man...we all make mistakes. Smart people learn from them and do what they can to avoid making them again.
If I see someone that is going the wrong way on a project, I feel it is just basic human courtesy to offer some help. Are you the type to let people screw up when you could have helped?
I'm sorry I should of put more thought into my wording about the rear end sorry I was being and ass .But I do know what I'm talking about because I've studied these rear ends for awhile and I know what I need to do to this one. I just wanted to show it off.
I didn't ask any one to start criticizing why I would buy a truck rear end or that I might not know what I have. I've been around racing my whole life I read allot so I'm not completely incompetent.
Have a great night.

Kern Dog

We were just trying to help out.
One time I bought an axle from a 72 Coronet thinking it would be a good spare for my 70 Charger. I've bought stuff thinking that I needed it then saw I already had 3 of them once I got home.

c00nhunterjoe

By the time you cut it down, reweld, buy a sure grip, bearings and gears, axles and flanges, plus the 350 you just spent on it, you could have built a dana.  :scratchchin:

rtsb

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 01, 2017, 07:03:30 AM
By the time you cut it down, reweld, buy a sure grip, bearings and gears, axles and flanges, plus the 350 you just spent on it, you could have built a dana.  :scratchchin:
Okay thank you for your input.

brad mcintyre

some of us here do things that we are not completely comfortable with and this critacisim helps a lot .

stripedelete

Quote from: rtsb on March 01, 2017, 12:30:48 AM
Quote from: stripedelete on February 28, 2017, 08:12:09 PM

How can you tell?

Perches are on top the axle.

Ty

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: rtsb on February 28, 2017, 06:57:45 PM
I decided it was time to start thinking ahead and purchased 8 3/4 rear end 742 3:23 open It's for my 73 Charger SE Ill put a 489 or just keep the 742 probably going with 3:55 gears in it wake up my 400 bb lol. Looking forward to tinkering with it .

Whatever you choose to do with this unit, at least you have options and time to think about it. Just curious, do you know if the third member is original to the housing? If so, I'd think the gear set might very well be 3.91's. Seems that pick ups and vans quite often came with lower gears, and many were Sure-grip (maybe you're aware of all this). 
I'd be interested to know what you find out. Good luck with it.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: rtsb on March 01, 2017, 07:20:28 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 01, 2017, 07:03:30 AM
Okay thank you for your input.

Its just a thought before you sink anymore money into it.

Kern Dog

It can be a poke to a mans pride when he logs on to chat a bit and gets hit with words he wasn't ready to hear. I don't think anyone here was trying to be rude. Sometimes being the first responder with the right answer is more satisfying to the responder than the OP. Sorta like an automotive TV game show.   :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 01, 2017, 05:02:24 PM
It can be a poke to a mans pride when he logs on to chat a bit and gets hit with words he wasn't ready to hear. I don't think anyone here was trying to be rude. Sometimes being the first responder with the right answer is more satisfying to the responder than the OP. Sorta like an automotive TV game show.   :2thumbs:

Im not here for satisfaction. Just to try and help. I dont tend to sugarcoat anything and via keyboard, that can be read as rude. I was just clarifying that it wasnt intended. Not trying to dishearten him, just prevent him from sinking more money into it unless thats what he really wants. But i encourage the op to research the cost of GOOD 8 3/4 parts vs dana 60 parts and consider building a dana from scratch before the 8 3/4. Its a suggestion and a recommendation, but thats it. Its his car, his money and he can do as he pleases.

rtsb

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on March 01, 2017, 10:34:01 AM
Quote from: rtsb on February 28, 2017, 06:57:45 PM

Whatever you choose to do with this unit, at least you have options and time to think about it. Just curious, do you know if the third member is original to the housing? If so, I'd think the gear set might very well be 3.91's. Seems that pick ups and vans quite often came with lower gears, and many were Sure-grip (maybe you're aware of all this). 
I'd be interested to know what you find out. Good luck with it.
Thank you  :cheers: I'm just going by what the gentleman told me I purchased this knowing I want to learn about it take my time building the way I want . When I crack it open maybe I'll have a surprise lol.