News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column Q...Is this normal?

Started by MadScientist, April 22, 2006, 08:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Hi all,

I am finally getting around to doing my interior and just yanked the column today without too much trouble (thanks to this site).  I did notice however, that there seems to be a lot of play between the main shaft and the sleeve that surrounds it. (see gap in the pic)  I know theres a bunch of plastic shear pins in there, so how wiould a person know if they are trash? Are they even relevant to this issue?
Also, how much play is there supposed to be with the coupler itself?

Thanks in advance,

MS

MadScientist

Recharger

I'm no expert at this, so I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but I just took my column apart 2 weeks ago, so hopefully this will be of some help.

It's hard to tell from your picture, but do you have the support & bearing shown here with the red arrows?  From what I recall, when the column was assembled that spacer/support took out most of the slack between the shaft & sleeve.  I never saw any plastic shear pins when taking mine apart, so I'm guessing mine were already toast and I can't tell you what to look out for in that regard.

As for the play in the coupler itself, mine was put together incorrectly so it had WAY more play than it should have had.  It will have some play in the up/down and left/right directions, but should have virtually no play rotationally.  There are 2 "H" Shaped spacers inside there that fit over pins on the end of the shaft.  Whoever was into mine last time put them back in sideways which allowed for about 1/8-1/4" of rotational play.  Definitely made for some sloppy steering.  (Kind of like a drunk driving simulator)

Like I said, I have mine apart right now so if you need any reference shots let me know and I'll try to get what I can.  Also, if you have a shop manual there are some decent diagrams on pages 19-31 - 19-36.  Good luck with it.

MadScientist

Recharger,

thanks for the info!  At least now I know my coupler is OK.  I still am unsure of the gap seen in the picture and whether or not there is supposed to be a bearing in there.  It makes sense that there would be, but then again, my steering seemed to be OK (but my frame of reference is skewed since this is my first old Mopar).  The only real play I had was in the manual box it self (as far as I can tell). 

i will go back and look at it again tonight and see what I can come up with.

MS

Mopar2Ya

If your car is a '70 or later column shift auto, there seems to be no bearing used. I haven't been able to locate anything. The sevice manual calls for a seal, but no one seems to sell it. Year One list a bearing, but is only for 68-69 or manual.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

MadScientist

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on April 28, 2006, 09:51:01 PM
If your car is a '70 or later column shift auto, there seems to be no bearing used. I haven't been able to locate anything. The sevice manual calls for a seal, but no one seems to sell it. Year One list a bearing, but is only for 68-69 or manual.

So a 70 manual car would have the bearing?

MS

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: MadScientist on May 11, 2006, 12:56:24 AM
Quote from: Mopar2Ya on April 28, 2006, 09:51:01 PM

So a 70 manual car would have the bearing?

MS
I'm not sure, I'll check my service manual.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Chryco Psycho

there is no bearing at the bottom , the gap is normal & is centered by the shaft connecting to the steering box & the plate that bolts to the floor has oversized holes to allow it to be moved to center it over the inner shaft

MadScientist

Great!  thanks CP!  I will get to refinishing it now!

MS

PS it was great to meet you at Mopar at the Strip!  (Out by the 1/4 mile of mopars behins the cannery)

Chryco Psycho

Yeah weird weekend  You & Rick Keesler & Charger Afficinado were the only people I met from both sites , next year I have to do better at arranging a meeting place or something