News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AutoRama GL jump...

Started by Baldwinvette77, February 24, 2017, 05:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Spectacular? Not the term I would've used but okay.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi-hampton

JR

I'd actually be impressed if these guys actually started using catch ramps and driving the car away instead of just chucking it up in the air and letting it come crashing back down.

Kinda breaks the illusion of theater when the General breaks into a million pieces upon landing, doesn't it?

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

cbrestorations

wouldnt a full tube chassis like a stadium truck with a charger body set over it be much better...could be used over and over and hell might even survive a jump if it lands right

lukedukem

Here is the interview after with the driver. At the end they do a short walk around. Most of the car is fake. Really fake. The tailight panel is a picture. The chrome is aluminum foil.

https://youtu.be/GCyRL6W7kR8

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

71 SE3834V

Quote from: JR on February 24, 2017, 06:29:23 PM
I'd actually be impressed if these guys actually started using catch ramps and driving the car away instead of just chucking it up in the air and letting it come crashing back down.

When I saw it on the local news I thought "Well, they wrecked another '69!"
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

marshallfry01

The cars they use are usually so rusted that I'm afraid the driver is going to get hurt.... They have build videos on YouTube. Seriously though, the cars they use are not restorable.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Baldwinvette77

They starting with this for the autorama car

VegasCharger

Yeeeeeee Hawwwwwww!!!!

Kern Dog

Them Duke boys welded their doors shut....Whats this guys excuse ??   :lol:

69rtsetracpac

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on February 24, 2017, 08:58:55 PM

Looks better then the car I started with.
What was I thinking?

Mopar Nut

:rotz:  Cardboard lights and foil trim
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mike DC

Quotewouldnt a full tube chassis like a stadium truck with a charger body set over it be much better...could be used over and over and hell might even survive a jump if it lands right

The Knight Rider TV show tried a tube chassis & fiberglass Trans Am in the early 1980s.  It didn't fly well (too light), didn't look the same, still cost a lot, and wasn't as safe.  They were back wrecking real T/As (brand new ones) before long.  

The sheetmetal crumpling is the only thing absorbing the impact on a car jump.  A stadium truck has big tires & a couple feet of suspension travel to swallow all that force.

The heavy weight is what makes the car fly so well.  For the same given speed & ramp, more weight means farther flight.  You can throw a golf ball farther than a ping-pong ball.  

Mike DC

QuoteI'd actually be impressed if these guys actually started using catch ramps and driving the car away instead of just chucking it up in the air and letting it come crashing back down.

Kinda breaks the illusion of theater when the General breaks into a million pieces upon landing, doesn't it?

At about 2:40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl3jcXNql6s

hemi-hampton

If the pic is Huge & you can't find a smaller one just make it smaller yourself.

RCCDrew

I think the value of my car just went up.  :smilielol:

Mike DC

QuoteIf the pic is Huge & you can't find a smaller one just make it smaller yourself.

Thanks.  I just swapped your small pic into my post. 

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 69rtsetracpac on February 24, 2017, 11:00:39 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on February 24, 2017, 08:58:55 PM

Looks better then the car I started with.

I think my car was slightly better... Slightly..but mine didn't come with a fender  :lol:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 25, 2017, 09:47:22 AM

QuoteIf the pic is Huge & you can't find a smaller one just make it smaller yourself.

Thanks.  I just swapped your small pic into my post. 

Yeah, I see that. LEON.

6bblgt

69wannabe

I still love seeing the general in the air, as long as it isn't my charger flying through the air i'm pretty OK with it!!!  :2thumbs:

Hemi Guy

Looks neat but gives me a knot it in my stomach. All I can think is man would I love to snatch a few pieces of that car before it takes off.....

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Hemi Guy on February 28, 2017, 08:48:36 PM
Looks neat but gives me a knot it in my stomach. All I can think is man would I love to snatch a few pieces of that car before it takes off.....

i think the only things really good on these cars are the bumpers, mirror and door handles, everything else is bondo or fake.. or both

Also welcome!  :cheers:

Chargen69

Quote from: cbrestorations on February 24, 2017, 06:49:36 PM
wouldnt a full tube chassis like a stadium truck with a charger body set over it be much better...could be used over and over and hell might even survive a jump if it lands right

the problem with that is the driver would not fair so well.  the reason they went with the charger for the dukes in the first place was because of the unibody design, basically collapsed on landing.  a full frame car would transfer most of the energy of the crash into the driver.

if you think about it, most of the police cars got flipped or some other crash as compared to most of the generals jumps they tried to land flat.