News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 Charger outer wheelhouse bulge.

Started by Kern Dog, February 17, 2017, 07:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

This is probably a common problem others have dealt with, right? Anyone that has tried to fill their wheelwells with the biggest tires that fit probably have had interference. For whatever reason, these cars were built with outer wheelhouses that don't follow the contour of the quarter panel. They had a bulge that intrudes into the wheelhouse area that is a point of contact when using wide tires.
I want to modify mine in a manner where it has the same curvature and smoothness as the rest of the wheelhouse. The car needs no bodywork so I'll be doing this with the quarters in place. The concerns I have include the risk of sparks from grinding or welding catching the car on fire. Welding up from underneath has me thinking that sparks could ignite the headliner. Is there some kind of non flammable blanket I could slip over the wheelhouse from inside the trunk?
Also, I'm guessing that I could cut out a section of the wheelhouse, flatten the bulge and then weld the section back in. Is this what others have done?
Thanks, Greg

mopar4don

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 17, 2017, 07:21:45 PM
This is probably a common problem others have dealt with, right? Anyone that has tried to fill their wheelwells with the biggest tires that fit probably have had interference. For whatever reason, these cars were built with outer wheelhouses that don't follow the contour of the quarter panel. They had a bulge that intrudes into the wheelhouse area that is a point of contact when using wide tires.
I want to modify mine in a manner where it has the same curvature and smoothness as the rest of the wheelhouse. The car needs no bodywork so I'll be doing this with the quarters in place. The concerns I have include the risk of sparks from grinding or welding catching the car on fire. Welding up from underneath has me thinking that sparks could ignite the headliner. Is there some kind of non flammable blanket I could slip over the wheelhouse from inside the trunk?
Also, I'm guessing that I could cut out a section of the wheelhouse, flatten the bulge and then weld the section back in. Is this what others have done?
Thanks, Greg

What you are refering to is called de-humping, I did this to my car, But I did it with the quarters off.
And you will be doing this from inside the wheel well working over your head! NOT FUN! I had to do this to smooth out the welds

Here are pics I found that I used as a reference

mopar4don

a couple of more

Also I believe I have seen fireproof blankets at HF

mopar4don

Here is a link to how I did it
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,104414.550.html

about halfway down the page starting at Reply #564

I can say It's not my best work , but hay it's a learning process :scratchchin:

Kern Dog

Thanks! I have a 2 post lift at my place so while it will be overhead work, I won't be doing it while sitting or lying on my back.

c00nhunterjoe

How big a tire are you running? A 295/50 has not rubbed on mine and a 29.5x9 slick clears as well. You must be looking for a super meat to need to cut out the wheel house. I would almost consider a sheetmetal mini tub to use.

Kern Dog

Here we go. 295 45 18 on a 10" wheel. Rolling along as is, I do not get any rub until I hit a bump. I'd like the option to lower the car a bit if the mood strikes.

Kern Dog

I'd like to run a 315-40-18 on it once the SRT DEmon tires start getting replaced by enthusiastic owners.  :icon_smile_big:

phantom

I also did mine while the quarters were off. I cut almost the whole outer wheelhouse off and fabricated new ones that goes flush with the quarterpanel, this to fit  20x12" and 315 tires combined with Air ride. 

garner7555

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 17, 2017, 11:05:18 PM
Here we go. 295 45 18 on a 10" wheel. Rolling along as is, I do not get any rub until I hit a bump. I'd like the option to lower the car a bit if the mood strikes.

I love the stance on your car.   I've only seen a couple photos recently, but it looks great!   :2thumbs:   :coolgleamA:   You might can tell from my profile picture that I'm partial to red.   :yesnod:

I did this mod to my car before paint.  I did it off a 2 post lift as well, it's not the most fun being overhead, but very doable with the lift.   :yesnod:    And yes, Harbor Freight has the best deal on welding blankets.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Kern Dog

cdr

I have 335 50 15 on mine & still have the HUMPTY HUMP, no rubbing, BUT mine does sit higher than some.

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dmichels

Mopar4Don Nice work   But more important  Holy $h!t that is about the most rust free car I have ever seen!!!!
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Mike DC

I've heard of people buying a pair of repro inner wheelhousings to use as raw material for widening the outer housings.  

The inner pieces would be swapped left/right.

Draco

I haven't tried it but is it possible to just heat and stretch the inner well. Heat and hammer until smooth.  The hump bows in enough that you should be able to get alot of it out. I have 295/35 on 18x10's with Hotchkis springs with no problems.                                 

Kern Dog

The 35 series tire is probably an inch shorter in height than my 45 series. That may be all the difference I need.

Kern Dog

A quickie search shows 25.9" diameter for a 285 35 18 and 28.5"for my 295-45-18. 2.6" diameter difference, That alone would help.

alfaitalia

Quote from: cdr on February 18, 2017, 03:26:54 PM
I have 335 50 15 on mine & still have the HUMPTY HUMP, no rubbing, BUT mine does sit higher than some.

Man that looks great at the back...can't help thinking the fronts need to be a bit closer to the fenders though. Pretty all the same. :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

It reminds me a LOT of the Blade Charger.

Kern Dog

Kern Dog

Kern Dog

cdr

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 20, 2017, 04:11:10 PM
Quote from: cdr on February 18, 2017, 03:26:54 PM

Man that looks great at the back...can't help thinking the fronts need to be a bit closer to the fenders though. Pretty all the same. :2thumbs:

the front is turned to the right & looks like it is to far inside, any further out & they would hit the outer fender lip& brace.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 19, 2017, 07:22:21 PM

I've heard of people buying a pair of repro inner wheelhousings to use as raw material for widening the outer housings.  

The inner pieces would be swapped left/right.

This is what I did.