News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint Help

Started by Vegas_Nick, February 16, 2017, 09:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegas_Nick

I'm painting the dash on the 74. I have sanded it, shot with with the Rustoleum satin black that I wanted and it started to fish eye and bubble in a few spots. I sanded that off down to bare metal in some places and now shot it with Duplicolor sandable primer. 20 minutes later.... same freaking thing! :flame: :flame:  Soooo.. paint experts, help! (please) :brickwall:

Bronzedodge

What I've done in a similar situation - sand down close to bare metal.  Wash with detergent, like Tide, or dish soap.  sand with new, clean sandpaper to get rid of flash rust.  Prime.  Let primer cure for several days.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

Vegas_Nick

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Dino

You have to degrease that stuff. Denatured alcohol from your local big box store will work in a pinch as well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

Takes many cleanings . Lots of armor all over the last 50 years
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

alfaitalia

Most of the time fish eyes in paint are caused by silicone on the surface...which is why all products with silicone in are banned from spray shops as a rule.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Vegas_Nick

I found a local guy here to just media blast the dash and glove box door. $50 well spent!

hemi-hampton

Probably to much armor all all over it for many years. Use plenty of wax & grease remover. LEON.

qwick68

Use lacquer thinner.....prime, let dry, scuff, wipe down with a pre paint cleaner and paint
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

Lennard

Or just sand blast and powder coat. Fade, rust and scratch resistant for a lifetime.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Lennard on February 18, 2017, 09:16:06 AM
Or just sand blast and powder coat. Fade, rust and scratch resistant for a lifetime.

Lennard, I'm dropping it off at Snail Motorsports on Monday.  :icon_smile_big:

Lennard

I have no clue who that is.  :lol:

Charger-Bodie

I could go into a big deal about pros and cons of powder coat, but the main thing here is that it still needs to be clean for it to last.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Lennard on February 18, 2017, 10:38:53 AM
I have no clue who that is.  :lol:

Supposedly one of the best in Vegas.

Lennard