News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone make smaller clutch fans?

Started by chargermick, April 22, 2006, 08:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargermick

I have a '69 with a 440, that would regularly run over 210 degrees last year. I installed a Flowkooler hi flow water pump, hi flow 180 stat,a shroud, and had my 22" radiator recored to an all new 4 core. I'm still running hot! I'd like to try a clutch fan set up, but the one I bought is only about an 1/8" off of the radiator. Do they come in different lengths? Who is a good source for cooling problems?

dodgedarren

Im having the same issue. Did you ever find a shorter clutch shaft?

W4ATL

You are correct - it is too close. For some reason the clutch the auto parts stores want to sell you makes your fan too close to the radiator. Do not drive the car with this clutch.

I went through the same thing. Here is the link:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,68196.0.html

It will link to some other threads on this issue.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

A383Wing

I got one from Car Quest....Hayden brand, non-thermal...no spring in front of clutch.....I heard one from Jaguar will work

Chryco Psycho

the Jaguar 6 or 12 cylinder clutch fan is the one I use all the time that is far shorter & positions the fan approx 1.5 " from the rad , the bolt pattern for the factory 7 blade or the aftermarket 6 blade fan & the hub on the water pump is correct just make sure it has the brass bushing for he center shaft .
The company I buy from was going to discontinue these buy my purchase volume alone changed their minds , because I buy that many !!

dodgedarren

I put the Hayden Jaguar fan clutch and a 6 blade OE style fan on with a 160 degree high volume thermostat and Im running hot. Any suggestions?? I am useing the factory water pump housing but do have a 440sourse water pump.
Ive heard the 440source water pumps aint that great. What temp is acceptable

greenpigs

Just how hot is it getting?

You should have the blades about halfway in the shroud to pull the air properly. If your too far away it will not pull near as much air. The thing to watch out for is getting too close to the radiator. Mopar Action recommended 1 1/2 inch clearance from the clutch to radiator for the obvious reason.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

70 Charger RT

70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

maxwellwedge

Quote from: chargermick on April 22, 2006, 08:39:14 AM
I have a '69 with a 440, that would regularly run over 210 degrees last year. I installed a Flowkooler hi flow water pump, hi flow 180 stat,a shroud, and had my 22" radiator recored to an all new 4 core. I'm still running hot! I'd like to try a clutch fan set up, but the one I bought is only about an 1/8" off of the radiator. Do they come in different lengths? Who is a good source for cooling problems?

An interesting tidbit on adding a bigger core to a stock rad. You all know that a Mopar will piss out anti-freeze until it finds its "happy level". I was speaking to a buddy that did the same thing ( 22" radiator recored to a bigger than stock core size) for a customers car. The temp seemed to be ok but the rad would always piss to a way lower than normal level.....almost exposing the tops of the fins. Well - it turns out that when you do this, the size of the original tanks does not match the increased capacity of the new, complete unit. I have done the same thing over the years and always wondered why the rad would piss out fluid all the time.....I would add more every day!

Just wanted to throw it out there.....in case anyone else is scratching their heads over it.

A383Wing

put an overflow bottle on it...then when it cools, it will suck the pissed out coolant back in