News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

self leveling seam sealer

Started by Highbanked Hauler, January 30, 2017, 03:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I had to dig out the factory seam sealer on the roof channel. This self leveling sealer has come out since I was in the trade. Anybody use it ? Thoughts on it ? The car is going to have a vinyl top so I need to keep as little sealer as possible.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dino

I've been out of the business too long so I've never used it. I like the idea but I've never had any problem applying a high quality seam sealer and tooling it properly to get the appropriate finish.

Is it a 3M product? Did you look for any possible demonstration videos?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

The drip rails on these cars suck to do nicely . I tried the self levaling stuff on one and it's just too runny. All ends up down the ramp.

Best way I've found is to mask it off just to seal the seam. Smooth it out nice ,remask after that's dry and go for the look.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 31, 2017, 08:40:17 AM
The drip rails on these cars suck to do nicely . I tried the self levaling stuff on one and it's just too runny. All ends up down the ramp.

Best way I've found is to mask it off just to seal the seam. Smooth it out nice ,remask after that's dry and go for the look.

Per U-tube video  I didn't take into account of the stuff running off so I am going to  cut a plastic squeegee to size and tape it off...
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on January 31, 2017, 12:55:27 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 31, 2017, 08:40:17 AM

Per U-tube video  I didn't take into account of the stuff running off so I am going to  cut a plastic squeegee to size and tape it off...

The plastic squeegee works if the drip channel is inform. Most are not.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Highbanked Hauler

I haven't turned it into a science project yet but it looks pretty even BUT looks can be deceiving.. Worst case is use my dainty finger  :smilielol:and smoooooth it in one shot.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on January 31, 2017, 08:05:02 PM
I haven't turned it into a science project yet but it looks pretty even BUT looks can be deceiving.. Worst case is use my dainty finger  :smilielol:and smoooooth it in one shot.

If yours looks even by eye it's probably close enough for the cut spreader trick. My last one was obviously off.

Patronus

If you let it sit a bit you can tool it with thinner and a cloth
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Patronus on February 06, 2017, 11:51:14 PM

Yep your right,  I figure regular urethane sealer as it appears the self leveling stuff will run on any angle plus I don't want a lot of stuff in the gutter as the car is getting a vinyl top.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 09, 2017, 09:48:20 AM
Quote from: Patronus on February 06, 2017, 11:51:14 PM

Yep your right,  I figure regular urethane sealer as it appears the self leveling stuff will run on any angle plus I don't want a lot of stuff in the gutter as the car is getting a vinyl top.

No worries then . The one I just did was non vinyl so I was on that track. Had to look mint

superbirdtom

If you haven't' already seam sealed the gutter heres how to do it.   You can use some good quality 3m air dry seam sealer or another brand and don't use thinner on a rag u want to use wax and grease remover as your liquid to smooth it out. It does a nice job of not attacking the seam sealer but really smooths it out and if your not Andre the giant or a big Norwegian fisherman with fingers the size of  sausages ,you should be able to use your index or pinky to go over it and not take too much out and have uniformity in depth and width.  Ive used a finger cot before and did tape on each side and the ends so excess and liquid dosent get all over the place.  the self leveling will be flat and is too runny and has a window like all two part seam sealers.
with the air dry your not all in a panic to get it done in a hurry.   Ive used wax and grease remover for years to smooth out seam sealer give it a try. practice on something similar first.  Use NAPA kleanz EZ. regular not fast if u have a store near you as theirs some wax and greases that are very aggressive and some dry as fast as lacquer thinner u want a medium evaporating one.    Im about to do a 69 GTO W vinyl top ive dug out every speck of the old stuff so perhaps Ill post pics of the drip rail sealing.  good luck!

Dino

I've always done it the same way as Tom explained, works very well. You can really do a lot of tooling and smoothing with a drop of degreaser.  :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

Most seam sealer that I've tried degreaser on tend to clump with it where it don't with thinner

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on February 09, 2017, 04:45:19 PM
Most seam sealer that I've tried degreaser on tend to clump with it where it don't with thinner

I use lacquer thinner, no rags, just my finger