News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Viper trans question

Started by Dino, February 10, 2017, 08:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I wanted to post this here instead of my upgrade thread.

Someone local is selling a 2004 Viper T-56. He removed it when 2nd gear made a grinding noise because he was getting a new one under warranty. As soon as it happened he drove the car home without using 2nd and had the car towed to the dealer on a flatbed. After installing the new trans it did the same thing so the dealer found out that the master cylinder was at fault. They replaced it and the issue was fixed. So the original trans is for sale and has around 2000 miles on it.

He's asking $1800 which is pretty good since it's close to me and I don't have to pay shipping, and it obviously has low miles. It's also rated for more torque and hp than my 440 has so it's a good candidate.

The owner drained the oil and didn't find any metal in it. I have made some grinding noises in manual transmissions before without further issues, but I know very little about these Viper units. Do you guys think this is a safe buy or is the risk too high?

I appreciate any insight.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

acelondon

Seems strange that Dodge didn't take that trans back when they swapped in the new one. Or is it the dealer selling it?

I'm also surprised the dealer swapped the entire trans before making sure the clutch wasn't at fault. I however do know a local dealer that is selling used hemi's out the back door after scamming a warranty engine swap out of every lifter tick they hear. Head gaskets too.

At that price, i'd get it, and fix it myself if needed. It is a good transmission, and drives great. Both in the viper, and in a few swaps i've seen.

Dino

The owner of the car wanted to keep the first transmission as he wanted to use it in a hot rod project. Maybe he paid the dealership to keep it? Don't know.

It's weird that they didn't check the mc first as it seems to be a common thing, but now we're expecting people to actually know stuff!   :lol:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Rolling_Thunder

Dodge does weird stuff like that...   sometimes its easier than the paperwork...    my 6.1 hemi was a warranty replacement that the owner didnt want and dodge didnt want it either...   its not like they disassemble and fix anything - they simple R&R it

If there wasnt much tinsle in the oil i'd just run it - 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip