News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winter project- engine change (bad news)..(GOOD NEWS)

Started by keith88, February 05, 2017, 04:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

My 318 dropped a cylinder at the end of last season so over the winter i decided to swap it out for a 360. Got a nice used motor with 30,000 on it all im going to do is add a comp xtreme cam to it and gasket it and put a new oil pump in it. So far I have bought a new damper and flex plate to go from the 318 to the 360 going to use my upper end as far as intake and carb as well as my valve covers. So far the motor is out than i was able to paint the K-frame and make it look nice.
Here's a few shots so far:
(Engine pulled)

(Engine Bay)

(360 engine)

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Baldwinvette77

i'm looking forward to more of this  :popcrn:  :2thumbs:

lukedukem

Great job on the k member. Looks good. What year is the 360?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Dino

Nice! That will make for a fun ride.   :yesnod:

Are you going to reinstall the stock vacuum canister below the battery while it's apart?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

keith88

Quote from: lukedukem on February 05, 2017, 06:08:18 PM
Great job on the k member. Looks good. What year is the 360?

Luke
Its from 1975 it was a 4bbl motor
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

keith88

Quote from: Dino on February 05, 2017, 06:14:21 PM

Are you going to reinstall the stock vacuum canister below the battery while it's apart?
No i converted my headlight doors to electric.

Dino

Quote from: keith88 on February 05, 2017, 07:40:49 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 05, 2017, 06:14:21 PM

No i converted my headlight doors to electric.

Oh cool!

What's the big tank behind the battery for then?

keith88

Vacuum can for the power brakes..It helps one of the reason why I converted the doors. :yesnod:

Dino

Gotcha! I didn't notice until now that you're running power discs.   :2thumbs:

VegasCharger

I love the operation of the vacuum powered headlight doors on the 68-69 Chargers. Love the sound and the off set timing between the two doors.

Just my  :Twocents:

Kern Dog

You have a strange way of engine removal....the engine brackets left on the K member ???

keith88

That was for paint purpose they are coming off again :yesnod:

Dino

Quote from: VegasCharger on February 06, 2017, 01:57:47 AM
I love the operation of the vacuum powered headlight doors on the 68-69 Chargers. Love the sound and the off set timing between the two doors.

Just my  :Twocents:

:iagree:

I love the psshhh when I hit that switch.   :lol:

c00nhunterjoe

Ive never understood all the issues with stock headlight doors. I do not have a canister on my car and my 383 only pulled 8.5" of vaccum and my doors have always opened and closed without issue.  :shruggy:

VegasCharger

Quote from: Dino on February 06, 2017, 06:58:32 AM
:iagree:

I love the psshhh when I hit that switch.   :lol:

There you go.  :2thumbs:

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 06, 2017, 12:04:36 PM
Ive never understood all the issues with stock headlight doors. I do not have a canister on my car and my 383 only pulled 8.5" of vaccum and my doors have always opened and closed without issue.  :shruggy:

True. You can completely by-pass the canister can and run a direct vac line to the source. It will still operate the headlight doors. Even if there's a slight leak, they will still work. The canister just holds stored vacuum so that you open/close the doors if the engine isn't running and creating vacuum. So what big deal just fire up the Charger again to open/close the doors. I mean don't us Mopar guys love to have a reason to start up the beast??

With that being said I have my canister in place. I was fortunate enough that there was one when I got my Charger. Not sure if I would've paid damn near a $100.00 for a can. I probably would've created my on vacuum can made out of a food/beverage can. But I definitely would have not resourced to converting to the noisy electric doors, especially the over-priced kits that they sell WTF. What a joke those prices are.

keith88

Not to get off subject with this but I made the headlight doors my self it was not a kit. I did not have a lot of the parts when i bought the car. I had a 70 so the noise is no big deal to me.

See quick video of doors (before switch hook up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzun-zbENss&feature=youtu.be

keith88

Small update cleaned up some odd & ends painted them and sanded down the headers  :RantExplode: and painted them .

timmycharger

Quote from: keith88 on February 05, 2017, 07:49:07 PM
Vacuum can for the power brakes..It helps one of the reason why I converted the doors. :yesnod:

I am running the same vacuum can, my 284/484 mopar cam only pulls 10" of vacuum and I am running power brakes  :2thumbs:

Bens340

Gunna be watching this too. I just picked a 360 magnum motor myself to swap into my 73 while i rebuild the 340 :2thumbs:
73' charger 340 rallye

VegasCharger

Quote from: keith88 on February 06, 2017, 06:30:13 PM
Not to get off subject with this but I made the headlight doors my self it was not a kit. I did not have a lot of the parts when i bought the car. I had a 70 so the noise is no big deal to me.

See quick video of doors (before switch hook up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzun-zbENss&feature=youtu.be

Nice but I like this much better.  :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3pcOGCibiw

And the 68s having the headlight bezels makes it so much sweeter. Never understood why Chrysler didn't put those on the 69s.

:cheers: :cheers:

keith88

Weekend update: the engine is coming together, cam is in, heads on, timing chain installed new high volume oil pump and pan painted. :icon_smile_cool:

keith88

Got the engine together and in the car still some to do but getting there. :2thumbs:

Back N Black

keith88

Thanks it in and running now, have some odds and ends to do now ..new rear tires, gas gauge issue and a torque bushing to replace. Plus it sounds nicer than it did with the 318 (little bigger cam) Ill see if i can post some more pictures tomorrow and maybe a video of it running.