News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to fit Hooker Competition headers

Started by slumbers, February 02, 2017, 12:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slumbers

Greetings from the UK  :cheers: Is it easier to fit Hooker Super Comp long tube exhaust headers from above with the heads off or from underneath. My Car has power steering and column shift auto. The engine block is already bolted in the mounts with gearbox attached .

Kern Dog

Unbolt the engine.
Set aside 9 to 350 hours of free time.
Have hammers handy.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Go take a shower. Eat something. Get some sleep and try again the next day.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Start drinking Ale.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove while cussing and throwing things.
Call TTI and order a set from them.    :smilielol:

XH29N0G

I eventually managed to get mine in.  I did not pull the heads and that probably would have helped. I ran into issues with the steering linkages.  The time is probably pretty close to what Kern Dog said.  It took me several years in all.  Yes years.  the car wasn't running so I did things little bit at a time.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

will

remove complete drive train, unbolt k frame. install headers, bolt up k frame, re-install drivetrain.

BSB67

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 02, 2017, 08:08:11 PM
Unbolt the engine.
Have hammers handy.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Start drinking Ale.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.

You made me laugh with this one

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Finn

I jack the front of the car WAY up, lose the mini-start, and work them up from the bottom. Only required one hammer by the frame rails. I also had a shop cut and re-weld a tube so it would be easier to get to one of the mounting bolts on the drivers side.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

RallyeMike

I agree with Finn - from the bottom typically works best, and with a cherry picker supporting the engine unbolted from the mounts and lifted. The difficulty with fitment really depends on what body and what engine. The Supercomps on my B engined 72 Charger slid in with not a single hammer hit. Really, the best way, especially if you are trying to preserve special coatings, etc. is to have the engine out, lay them in there, and drop the engine on top of them.

The PS and column shift are going to make things hard for you. In fact, the column shift linkage will likely need to be removed and then modified to function.

Have fun.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

When my budget was tighter, I had the 5209 and the 5903 set. I can't recall which was the Super comps. The worst were the ones with the 3 and 1 setup with the slip fit separate tube.
No kidding, it took me over 9 hours to remove one set and install these. TTIs are not perfect but they did fit a whole lot better.

heyoldguy

From the bottom, using dynamite and tire tools.

slumbers

Thanks for the Advice ...
Well I spent a couple of hours this afternoon fighting everything in the engine bay and decided to give up !
This was just the drivers side , so can anyone give me a definitive answer , will the TTI headers go straight in with power steering and column change or would it just be easier to fit Mancini Shorty Headers with downpipes ?  :shruggy:

justcruisin

I have fitted the 5903 headers which are the 1 7/8 size. Best way to fit them is to drop your steering linkage that sits under the sump, remove one engine mount bolt while leaving the other side in place, lift the engine so it rolls over and fit the header from underneath for that side, you will need at least two feet under the sump. Lower the engine - refit the bolt and do the same for the other side. The starter and left header need to go in together as you can't fit one with the other in place. Remove your radiator shroud before install if you have one. Most likely a few dings will be needed.

Bad B-rad

I had the Hooker Super Comp, in a 66 B-body(Charger) with a 383, and then a 440, PS car, floor shift, and I just jacked the car WAY,WAY up and did it from under the car, no issues. I do recall one side was a little bit harder to angle in then the other, but they went in easy. Maybe I got lucky and ended up with a super well built set or the floor shift on the 66 Charger made the difference? I don't know but I had no issues as long as the car was jacked four feet in the air!!!!!

slumbers

Thanks for the Tips !
        I had another go today and rolled the engine in the mounts as advised, the drivers side then went in but....... seems to hit just about everything especially the torque rod . I was unable to get it to line up unmodified with the head to even get one bolt in so rather than spend 350 hours under here at my age  I have ordered some Ceramic TTI exhausts from Mancini Racing and put the Hookers on EBay  :2thumbs: Hopefully these will be easier ! Cheers Everyone 😀

68CoronetRT

Random question but if you go from the hooker headers(long tube) to the TTI's, does the collector bolt right up? Or will it require a little bit of exhaust work to connect to your pipes?

slumbers

As my car arrived from the US with no exhaust system at all To speak of apart from some rusty tail pipes I have purchased some stainless  Pypes 3" to 2 1/2" collector adaptors and complete system with an x pipe and Flowmaster 40 stainless mufflers so I 'll have to adapt it to fit TTI headers . The TTI headers are long tube looking at the pictures similar to the hookers .....

Kern Dog

Another great thing about TTIs, the collectors point slightly toward the middle of the car. This allows the exhaust pipes to run below the stock indentations of the lateral crossmember. This saves 2 pipe bends as you'd need with other headers. Most header companies just build theirs with the collectors pointing straight back. With those, you have to form a zig-zag to pass under those indentations. See photo of my car with TTIs and see the crossmember.

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 02, 2017, 08:08:11 PM
Unbolt the engine.
Have hammers handy.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Start drinking Ale.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
Remove and add dents.
Trial fit.
remove and add dents.
Trial fit.

WOW, I finally got one of his jokes.  :smilielol:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

slumbers

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 04, 2017, 04:01:56 PM
Another great thing about TTIs, the collectors point slightly toward the middle of the car. This allows the exhaust pipes to run below the stock indentations of the lateral crossmember. This saves 2 pipe bends as you'd need with other headers. Most header companies just build theirs with the collectors pointing straight back. With those, you have to form a zig-zag to pass under those indentations. See photo of my car with TTIs and see the crossmember.

Thanks for the photo that's just what I needed to see 😀😀😀

Kern Dog

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

Highbanked Hauler

These were super comps,  I had to unbolt both motor mounts and the trans mount also so I could slide it motor forward enough and lift with an engine hoist and yes I did part of Kern Dog's installation routine  :RantExplode:  but I did use them..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Kern Dog

Quote from: XH29N0G on February 04, 2017, 06:06:11 PM
1st photo good.  

2nd photo  :shruggy:

Just testing the boundaries here, having some fun.  :D

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

XH29N0G

:smilielol:  :2thumbs:
I forget tone doesn't convey in text.

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 06, 2017, 04:47:34 AM
Quote from: XH29N0G on February 04, 2017, 06:06:11 PM
1st photo good.  

2nd photo  :shruggy:

Just testing the boundaries here, having some fun.  :D

Or maybe it protects us. 

Kern Dog

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

cdr

what, that wasn't funny? guess my sense of humor is different .   :nana:   

Kern Dog

I was agreeing.
Ever see a drunk guy yell WOOOooooooo when something goes their way?
Picture that only I am not drunk.

cdr

:2thumbs:  I got drunk once , well more than that.

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

Pull motor mount bolts, car on stands, jack motor up, passenger side slides in with ease. Driver may require torsion bar removal for ease depending on if they are 1 3/4 or 1 7/8. Still not hatefull.

vegasmike

I went through the same problem,,took them to the machine shop had them mill the flange on an angle to keep them from hitting the torsion bars..tell you what if i have to pull the motor out they will end up in the garbage can

Kern Dog

slumbers

Just a follow up to all your help previously ...
I have now fitted the TTI headers and a full stainless Pypes stainless steel system with an X pipe and Flowmaster 40 Mufflers . The TTI 's fit perfectly with power steering and a Column change auto with no modifications at all . I only had to rotate the engine on the mounts on the drivers side about 2" up to get the TTI manifold in , the passenger side went straight in . Some pictures here to show how good and tight these headers are .

Thanks for all your help the engine fired up after 2 years of hard work and I'm hoping to have the car on the road in the next month or so  :2thumbs:

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

slumbers

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 05, 2017, 01:28:37 PM
Nice...certainly is tight in there!
Sure is ,note to self , next time  make sure you fit the lokar kick down linkage before fitting the exhaust manifolds otherwise you will swear a lot and cut your only one hand you can get in there to shreds   :yesnod:

BDF

Have you fit plug wires yet? #5 looks very close.

slumbers

Quote from: BDF on March 05, 2017, 05:17:58 PM
Yes , They are angled and all clear the exhaust manifolds , I have Stealth Heads . I have fitted high temp heat proof boots over all 8 plug caps as an extra precaution.

Draco

Are those mufflers going to clear the drive shaft. Looks like they might need to be turned 180 degrees. Awful tight.

slumbers

Quote from: Draco on March 06, 2017, 02:15:52 PM
      Are those mufflers going to clear the drive shaft. Looks like they might need to be turned 180 degrees. Awful tight.
The car is on axle stands under the Back axle so it should only go up unless I go Dukes of Hazzard jumping but you may be right I will rotate them a bit , there is about 1" clearance at the moment , the picture is deceptive 😎

Draco

This the clearance with TTI pipe's

slumbers

I'll try turning my mufflers around the other way , Thanks for the last picture  ;)

BDF

Quote from: slumbers on March 06, 2017, 01:32:23 PM
Quote from: BDF on March 05, 2017, 05:17:58 PM
Yes , They are angled and all clear the exhaust manifolds , I have Stealth Heads . I have fitted high temp heat proof boots over all 8 plug caps as an extra precaution.
Excellent!  :2thumbs:  :cheers: