News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 Build to Delivery Time Frames

Started by Dragon Slayer, February 02, 2017, 09:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon Slayer

Is there any documentation or info out there on time from Build Date to Dealership delivery for the first batch of 69 C500s?  For example a Car scheduled to be built Sep 1 had to be built, sent to Creative for modification and than delivered to a dealership.  So when would it arrive at the dealership?  Oct? Nov?

Also any information on the pause on C500 in Oct?  Were there delays, parts issues or just routine scheduling stuff.

I did a search and did not find any info on this subject for the C500 history.   Thanks, G

bannedbird

I seem to remember an old photo of C-500's all gathered in one parking/staging area with someone saying it was so that NASCAR could verify the total. 

Now, although the photo (or photos) may exist, I cannot confirm if the "counting for NASCAR" story is true.  I'm sure others on this forum have better knowledge on facts than I.  Perhaps they can shed some light if the cars were held for some reason after released from Creative Industries.

- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

WINGMAN

500s were built from around august to late December of 1968, so that story in not true. After the conversion work wad finished they went back to Chryslers big holding lot then shipped to the dealers just like Daytonas. Please correct me if I am wrong. (Wingman)
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

500Jon

The last C500's were released on December 19th 1968, as was mine.

How long before the the fender tag is stamped and the car leaves the Chrysler-Plant is a mystery?

It was a Thursday and Marvin Gaye was in the charts with, 'Heard it through the Grapevine'.
Us Limeys were listening to 'Lily the Pink' by Scaffold.
The top film that year was the 'LOVE-BUG' a classic... :2thumbs:

If Creative could get the 'last of the line' cars done before Christmas or New Year, I very much doubt.
It would be nice to find out who was the original owner of my Floridian 440 4-speed C500.
Sometime in January 1969, I would assume she made it to the Dealership in Florida?

I suppose when Chrysler told Creative, ''we aint doing no more C500s'' they were either very happy or very sad?
Then a few weeks later they get a phone call, we are doing something even better...Daytona's :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
No more fixed headlights, proper engineering, a pointy nosecone with POP-UPS... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
And you won't believe what they've done to the rear-end... :P

The rest is HISTORY!!!

5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

500Jon

One light seems to work ok?
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Homerr

See my sig for a link to the 500 Registry.  It shows dates from 8/21/68 to 12/19/68.  IIRC this is the SPD (Scheduled Production Date) and then there was the time for Creative to do their work, so the actual 'build date' is relative and they were done in batches.  You'll also notice that some cars were scheduled out of order with their VIN.

If I've mis-remembered this I think those more in the know will correct me.

richRTSE

http://findclassicars.com/dodge/182341-mr-norms-1969-hemi-charger-500-original-engine-trans-two-broadcast-sheets.html

If you scroll the the pics in this ad, there is a pic of the dealer invoice dated Oct 24th on this Charger 500 with a build date of Sept 29th....less than a month later...

...from the other documents, car was ordered Aug 12th...

Rich

Dragon Slayer

Quote from: richRTSE on February 06, 2017, 03:42:27 PM
http://findclassicars.com/dodge/182341-mr-norms-1969-hemi-charger-500-original-engine-trans-two-broadcast-sheets.html

If you scroll the the pics in this ad, there is a pic of the dealer invoice dated Oct 24th on this Charger 500 with a build date of Sept 29th....less than a month later...

...from the other documents, car was ordered Aug 12th...

Rich

Very Helpful Thank you.  And not delivered to owner unit 4Nov68.  So another 2 weeks to Chicago.

Were there issues with 4 speeds by chance?  Lower Numbers and maybe delivery issues?  I have yet to see a public document package on Hemi 4 spd cars in my searches.