News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Tire Size Ideas, Please

Started by A383Wing, February 01, 2017, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

Most here know I'm turning our Daytona into the car pictured below....I am getting a set of 4 Mopar 15x7" stock steel wheels for the car. I need to put tires on them, but I don't want any tire rub while driving & turning.....what's the largest size I can get away with?

I want 60 series tires, preferably same size all the way around

(PS: I am not going to cut the wheel well openings like in the picture, I will retain stock openings)

RallyeMike

Per tire spec, because you only have 7's, 255 should be the max width you should go if you use BFG. I don't think you want to go any smaller in a 60 series because the tire will be too short for the stock car look. No rub depends on how low the car will be and what wheel backspacing, but I would sure try and fit 255/60's. I know 245's on a neutral BS 7" work fine but can't vouch for 255s.

It's going to be tough to fully achieve the stock car look with 15x7s and small tires. Radiused fenders can always be replaced... How about some taller/wider DOT Street Stock tires?

http://www.americanraceronline.com/tires/dot-street-stock/

...... and I didn't know you were doing this. Cool!   :cheers:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

HPP

285/60x15 is probably the closest size to the original stock car tires at mid 27 height and 11 section widths. But you aren't going to get those on a 7" rim. 9.5 would be best for that and you would need to be spot on with the backspacing to keep it all tucked in.

If you are sticking with the stock offset 7" width, 255/60 might be the best overall selection.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: A383Wing on February 01, 2017, 10:34:51 PM
Most here know I'm turning our Daytona into the car pictured below....I am getting a set of 4 Mopar 15x7" stock steel wheels for the car. I need to put tires on them, but I don't want any tire rub while driving & turning.....what's the largest size I can get away with?

I want 60 series tires, preferably same size all the way around

(PS: I am not going to cut the wheel well openings like in the picture, I will retain stock openings)

Aw go ahead and cut them, it only hurts for a minute. :cheers:  Don't do 275-60S on 7 in. rims, I did it with 10 lbs. air to keep the tread flat much more than that and your running on the center tread and thats what got me wrecked, the tires laid over. If you do a 10 in. rim you will need 5 in. backspace  in the rear and no more than 4 in. in the front. Any more and you will hit the upper control arm.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

HPP

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 14, 2017, 10:57:49 PM
If you do a 10 in. rim you will need 5 in. backspace  in the rear and no more than 4 in. in the front. Any more and you will hit the upper control arm.

Nah, you can go 4.5 to 4.75 backspace, depending on the lip layout, with a 15" diameter wheel on the front. 5" will put you into the control arm.