News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it possible (or advisable) to reduce Clutch Pedal travel?

Started by XH29N0G, March 02, 2017, 09:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I recently started wondering if there was a way to reduce the travel on the clutch pedal without changing how the clutch is disengaged or engaged because there is a lot of travel from the neutral, engaged position to the disengaged position when depressed.  I thought if there were a way to do the same thing with less travel that it might be easier to shift more quickly. 

I can guess that one could modify and fabricate something that did this, but I would like to know if anyone has done this?  If there are alternative pedal or bellcrank that would work to shorten it?  Or any other sort of kit (different type, etc...

Thanks in advance. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

The pedal would have to be extremely long to shorten the travel internally. What are you trging to accomplish as far as the shorter shift statement? You shouldnt have to depress the pedal to the floor to shift, even on light throttle normal shifting. Wide open power shifts should only depress the pedal marginally enough to take some pressure off the disc. Is there perhaps a synchronizer issue vs the clutch or did i misinterprete the intent?

XH29N0G

Coonhunter, 

Maybe I have used the clutch incorrectly for my whole life.  I have always pushed the clutch to the floor to shift.  I know I can shift with a shallow push, but it has become force of habit. 

I also have  a few cars with clutches having less travel and I have been able to shift those more quickly, while still going to the floor because it is less of a whole leg type of action.  My thinking was:  If I could lessen the amount of travel on the clutch pedal that I could shift with less of a whole leg action and thus faster. 

It seems like there are various places where one of the connections could be moved (the connection of the linkage with the clutch or the length of the tabs on the bellcrank) that could change things up. 
From some quick searches, I gather it is important not to overextend the clutch travel.

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

Over extending will damage the diaphram for sure. As a clutch wears out, the travel will decrease. Im not familiar with anyone modifying the clutch linkage on a mopar. Would be interesting to hear if it was. Your method of shifting is not incorrect so dont sweat that. Speed shifting though does not require full pedal travel.

XH29N0G

Thanks,  It sounds to me like I just have to retrain myself, but I'll keep an eye out for other solutions and if any present, I'll post them.

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

It almost sounds like you are comparing the charger to a more modern styled hydraulic clutch? They have hydraulic conversions for the mopars but i have never personally used one. Perhaps someone else on here has and can shed some light on the pedal travel.

John_Kunkel

Changing the mechanical pedal ratio will shorten the pedal travel as would changing to a hydraulic and using a larger diameter MC. Both methods would increase the pedal effort.

If your habit is to always floor the pedal, simply place a block under the pedal to limit its travel. (recommended by some clutch makers to avoid over-travel damage to the PP)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.