News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Steering Conversion box

Started by 73-Charger-Canada, January 19, 2017, 10:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-Charger-Canada

Hi guys,

Just curious if anyone has used the Borgeson Power Steering conversion box? Here's the link:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/brg-800126/overview/

My 73 Charger is a 440 (now) with long tube headers. It was originally a slant 6 car, and it's got no power brakes or power steering. I think the first change I want to make will be the power steering so the wife car drive the car a little easier. Has anyone used this power steering conversion box? It's pricey, especially considering that it doesn't come with the PS pump, brackets etc. But I'm totally happy to buy it if it works great. Would love to hear some opinions, or opinions on similar products. thanks guys

Mike DC

The general feeling is that it's a good setup, but it's not a dramatic improvement over a decent aftermarket-rebuilt stock power steering setup.  It's about 12 lbs lighter and it has a slightly faster steering ratio.  The Borgeson ratio falls in between the stock Mopar power steering box and Mopar's fast-ratio option back in the day (the factory did it with a longer Pitman arm on the regular steering box). 

But since you don't already have a stock power steering setup, the price math for the Borgeson is probably better than usual.

73-Charger-Canada

Thank you very much, I appreciate the insight!

XH29N0G

I am also thinking about this switch and there are some other parts that will be needed. Bergman autocraft has some information on this.  I have not called them yet.  Their link is http://bergmanautocraft.com/.

I will echo what Mike DC wrote.  In my reading through the threads, a number of people also like the rebuilt firm feel boxes (a very small number less so, but most are strongly positive).  Those are straight bolt in with the steering column.  I did not do the search myself, but you might find that a few searches in the search box (or if that doesn't work with google and including 'and dodgecharger.com') for borgeson, firm feel, firm-feel, etc... will net you a lot of different responses.  

Basically, it seems like the firm feel rebuilds are very nice.  Why am I thinking borgeson?  I am not completely sure, but my sense was that the steering ratio was a little nicer and it was slightly more of a modern feel.  (Who knows, maybe the weight difference will allow me to shift so I can get my car into the 12's or better.  :lol:)  I do not have driving experience for a direct comparison between the two, but maybe someone does.  I don't get the sense that it is as much of a difference as the two are compared to the stock unit.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

73-Charger-Canada

Thanks very much for the full responses guys, I will search through the forum and read up on both types of boxes. I think my big concern was if the box will bolt directly to my existing column and steering components with my car being originally a manual steering set up. It appears that they will, but please correct me if I'm wrong

XH29N0G

At least with the Bergman version, you need some sort of adapter to connect the column to the box.

http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0010

It might be different with the Summit version, but would double check.  Please post when you find out because I am considering a swap to this PS box too. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

73-Charger-Canada

Ah, I see that it may need that adapter. I'm planning to do the swap in the spring, and I will certainly post about the swap with photos when it happens.

303 Mopar

I recently installed a FirmFeel Stage III box and it made a big difference.  I would recommend a Stage III not II.  It is not too tight at all, more like a modern car.  I did not want to make the necessary mods to fit the Borgeson unit in, and it was more expensive. 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Rubberduck

I agree. Also have  FirmFeel Stage III. Best change ever.
ยด68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

Draco

I installed the Borgeson box on my car last July and works great. I ordered the box, steering adapter and hoses, fit perfect. I did have to a pick up a saginaw pump.

XH29N0G

How difficult was the swap/install?

Or maybe it protects us. 

Draco

Had to pull the header on the left side, raise the engine a little to remove old unit. I have a mini starter so I did not have to remove that. Once the old was out the borgeson unit went right in. Bolted up perfect, hose fit well and adapter for the steering I had to pull the column to get it all in place nice and strait. You just need to the unit with right size shaft as there is two sizes. The unit I was told works best with saginaw pump. 

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us.