News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dot 5 or Dot 3 brake fluid?

Started by resq302, April 21, 2006, 08:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

I have just heard of the Dot 5 brake fluid which supposedly does not ruin your paint if you should leak it somewhere.  How does Dot 5 compare to Dot 3?  Does it absorb moisture as well or will it cause problems in my new brake system?  I am replacing all of my brake lines and wheel cylinders so if I do the swap over on the fluid, now is the time.  I heard that the two are not compatible also.  Is this true?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Plumcrazy

Use DOT 5
Won't damage paint
Higher boiling point
Doesn't absorb moisture

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

bad1032

I would go with dot 4 , they are not compatible, Harley used dot 5 and has switched away from it, Its a silicone based fluid.

resq302

I was pretty sure that the Dot 3 and 4 were not compatable with the Dot 5.  The reason why I wanted to know is that I am totally replacing all of my brake components with the exception of the master cylinder which should be able to have the Dot 3 stuff flushed out.  My concern is the possibilities of leaks and ruining the paint job. 

Also, if it is silicone based, wouldn't that benefit the rubber parts and prevent wear?

Isn't Dot 4 just a newer version of Dot 3?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Silver R/T

go with Dot5, make sure theres no old dot 3 left in system and itll gel up if two are mixed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1973_WP29P

Standard old Dot3 lowest boiling point.

Dot 4 higher boiling point used in imports alot through the years.

Super Dot 4 used more for racing and put in VW's at the dealership.

Dot 5 all out racing highest boiling point, harder to find if low on fluid, costs alot, not many places stock it and some auto parts people have not heard of it.

I'd use Dot 4 or Super Dot 4.

Rod

1973_WP29P

Found this.    http://www.sdvsa.org/BrakeFluidFacts.htm

Rod

bull

Quote from: Plumcrazy on April 21, 2006, 11:13:00 AM
Use DOT 5
Won't damage paint
Higher boiling point
Doesn't absorb moisture

:iagree:

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Going to bring this up again................. If I go from DOT 3/4 to 5, do I need to get every last drop of 3/4 out before the 5 can go in? I mean, I would think it's next to impossible to get every drop out.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

lisiecki1

i think you have to flush the lines with alcohol to clear them out completely.....hard to do without a flush/fill machine....a decent auto shop should have such a machine and be able to do the fluid swap for you.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html