News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First Post and I need help!

Started by lucascosta21, January 16, 2017, 07:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucascosta21

Hi guys,

I'm brazillian but I love american mopars. I just sold a 1972 Charger 340 4bbl 4-spd that I brought from US and now I purchased a 1968 Charger 440 (68 engine). The car is still in US and I intend to start the project there, buyng some essential parts and installing them there.

I have two big problems to solve:

1 - the interior is white and I want to turn it all black. Do you have any suggestion about kits or websites where I can find all these parts (includding dash parts) in a fair price?

2 - The car is automatic in column and I want to install a 4-speed (or 5-speed) transmission on console. What do I need to change? For example, I need to change the steering wheel?

How much do you think I'm going to spend for these two modifications?

Thank you for your help and attention.

Lucas

marshallfry01

The dash will be black even if the interior is white. Only things that will be white include: seat covers, door panels, and the headliner. Carpet and dash is black.

As far as doing the floor shift conversion, the steering wheel interchanges between columnshift and floor shift. The only difference is the steering column itself.

I have no idea about cost though.... someone else will chime in eventually.

Congratulations on finding a 68 Charger! Much better than a 72  :D
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Mopar Nut

:wave:  Welcome aboard!

Legendary interiors for interiors
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

marshallfry01

Instead of buying new door panels and seat covers, just dye them black....I forgot to mention this in my previous post.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

BIGBLCK11

Welcome!  This is good place to start on the 4 speed swap.  

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95764.0.html

$1500-2500 depending where you source the parts, new or used etc.  The condition of the trans being the major expense.  An entire new console setup would add a considerable amount.

Brewer's Performance is great to deal with.  http://www.brewersperformance.com

If I had to do it again, I would try to get a new 5 speed from Passon Performance (2yr wait or more) or a T56 6 speed(not stock, requires some mods)

Check the For Sale section here, I have seen complete setups and/or components there.

Kern Dog

Welcome aboard, Lucas.
Before I offer any help, I want to congratulate you and your home country on one of the best inventions in female hygiene ever invented. Of course, I am speaking about the Brazilian Wax procedure. To many men, this has been just as important to them as the invention of the wheel, sliced bread and the internet.

Did I read that you bought a 68 Charger?
The 68-70 B body line is the last of the simple suspension, lighter cars that responds well to upgrades.  If that can wait, they handle pretty decent as original as long as the suspension bushings are still in good shape.

Interior:
The shifter mechanism on the column can be removed. This leaves a nub on the column that can be cut off. You can then fill the hole with some type of stranded body filler, smooth it out then spray primer and paint.  I've personally done this though it is not as clean as it would be from the factory.
The rest of the stuff...Shifter, floor hump, clutch linkage, transmission, etc. can be easily found online.

The suggestions to paint the interior panels is not bad. Proper preparation and quality Vinyl paint will give decent results.
Good luck, Lucas and again... Welcome to the club.   :2thumbs:

tan top

Hello & welcome Lucas  :cheers: :2thumbs:  

dare say there are a few members here , that could prolly  help you out with parts , also have a look at these sites

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/  best seat covers , door panels etc
http://www.brewersperformance.com/   offer complete auto to four speed conversion kits & prolly all the parts you could ever need for this swap ...
http://www.tonysparts.com/   lots of   good used & NOS parts  , if you need a part , he will prolly have it ,  or will know where to get it  , Tony's a real good guy .  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: lucascosta21 on January 16, 2017, 07:57:22 PM

the interior is white and I want to turn it all black. 

Whitey takes it on the chin again.

lucascosta21

Thank you everyone for answers. All support is helping me so much.

I've checked some websites suggested wich offer 4-speed conversion kits  - Brewer, Passon Performance and Shift SST - I asked a quote for each one, I don't have the offers yet but I think I won't find anything less than $4k. As friend BIGBLCK11 said, maybe it would be better install a 5-speed instead of 4-speed, wouldn't it? What do you think? Is there any assembly or kit that doesn't require big modifications?

About the interior, I have seen a kit on Dantes Parts and Legendary, as friend Mopar Nut indicates. I saw these two suppliers on other post. These kits cost around $1300 and the only part that it doesn not include is dash. About the idea of painting these parts, did they do this yet? It really seems like original? I'm afraid to damage something when the car be in Brazil and have to import (and spend much more) to bring parts separatelly.

Thank you again!!

Troy

The white interior pieces that are white: front and rear seat covers, seat hinge covers, door panels, upper door pads, armrests, headliner, sunvisors, windlace trim around the doors, metal headliner trim (sides), and buddy seat (if you have one). Also, the area around the door panels (on the doors) is painted white to match. The carpet, complete dash, kick panels, a-pillars, windshield trim, console, package tray, steering column and wheel, and seat belts are black. Dante's is a favorite supplier of mine.

If you need *everything* to convert from an auto to a 4-speed you'll need all the same stuff for a 5-speed. A 5-speed isn't going to be less expensive if you buy a "kit". You'll have to modify the floor for a 5-speed (you'll have to modify it a little for the 4-speed but that's how the factory did it too). You can accomplish either for cheaper if you can source all the parts individually - but that's difficult when working from a distance. You'll need a steering *column* (wheel is the same) from a console automatic or 4-speed car to do it right. However, I've seen people leave the column shift column in place and just remove the handle and linkage. To truly do it right you'll need a Dana rear axle too so I hope you don't have a budget! ;)

Why do people buy rare cars and then immediately try to turn them into something else? (Assuming a real R/T.)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lucascosta21

Quote from: Troy on January 17, 2017, 01:06:23 PM
The white interior pieces that are white: front and rear seat covers, seat hinge covers, door panels, upper door pads, armrests, headliner, sunvisors, windlace trim around the doors, metal headliner trim (sides), and buddy seat (if you have one). Also, the area around the door panels (on the doors) is painted white to match. The carpet, complete dash, kick panels, a-pillars, windshield trim, console, package tray, steering column and wheel, and seat belts are black. Dante's is a favorite supplier of mine.

If you need *everything* to convert from an auto to a 4-speed you'll need all the same stuff for a 5-speed. A 5-speed isn't going to be less expensive if you buy a "kit". You'll have to modify the floor for a 5-speed (you'll have to modify it a little for the 4-speed but that's how the factory did it too). You can accomplish either for cheaper if you can source all the parts individually - but that's difficult when working from a distance. You'll need a steering *column* (wheel is the same) from a console automatic or 4-speed car to do it right. However, I've seen people leave the column shift column in place and just remove the handle and linkage. To truly do it right you'll need a Dana rear axle too so I hope you don't have a budget! ;)

Why do people buy rare cars and then immediately try to turn them into something else? (Assuming a real R/T.)

Troy

Hi Troy,

I made a confusion with interior color. Actually, the interior is in "tan color", not white exactly. So, there is no parts in black. Everything is tan, so I will have to change carpet, complete dash and all other stuffs that in cars with white interior is black. It's harder than I was thinking, but I'll do.  Do you know any place or website where I can find mopar's used parts and keep my project into my budget?

I'll try to post a picture as soon as I can.

About trans, sure, for me, miles of distance from US, it's better to get a conversion kit to avoid disappointments later. But, talking about rear axle ratio, what ratio is a good combination for a 4-speed A-833 or a new 5-speed kit?

I'm thinking to buy a new differential if the ratio be much low. y the VIN Number, the car originally was a 318 auto trans in the column, do you have idea about the ratio is could have?

Thank you.

Troy

Quote from: lucascosta21 on January 17, 2017, 04:40:54 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 17, 2017, 01:06:23 PM

Troy

Hi Troy,

I made a confusion with interior color. Actually, the interior is in "tan color", not white exactly. So, there is no parts in black. Everything is tan, so I will have to change carpet, complete dash and all other stuffs that in cars with white interior is black. It's harder than I was thinking, but I'll do.  Do you know any place or website where I can find mopar's used parts and keep my project into my budget?

I'll try to post a picture as soon as I can.

About trans, sure, for me, miles of distance from US, it's better to get a conversion kit to avoid disappointments later. But, talking about rear axle ratio, what ratio is a good combination for a 4-speed A-833 or a new 5-speed kit?

I'm thinking to buy a new differential if the ratio be much low. y the VIN Number, the car originally was a 318 auto trans in the column, do you have idea about the ratio is could have?

Thank you.
Ah well, that is different then.

Is it "gold" interior? There wasn't a tan in 1968 so that's the best I can think of. Assuming it's something of a project, most of the time you have to replace the carpet, door panels, seat covers, and headliner any way so those are easy. If it's nicer than a project, any pieces that are still good can be dyed black. Seat belts, for example, usually take dye pretty well. Luckily black is popular so everything is available if you need to buy new. I think your estimate is a bit low as upper door pads are about $700 by themselves.

It's not the rear axle ratio so much as the entire rear end! A factory 440 car (R/T) had upgraded suspension and brakes. The standard rear axle would be an 8 3/4" differential but a 4-speed car would have had the stronger Dana. Assuming you want it like the factory made it. If you don't care about it "looking stock" the 8 3/4" (assuming you have one now) should be fine. You could probably even go with a 23 spline transmission to save some money - although the stronger 18 spline would have come behind a 440 from the factory.

Originally that car would have had a "highway gear" - likely a 2.76. Even a lot of factory 440 cars had the same. However, the minimum available from the factory with a 4-speed was 3.23 (in a 383 car that still had an 8 3/4" while a Dana would have had 3.54). Most people these days use a slightly taller tire than the stock ones which changes the "effective ratio". For example, a 28" tall rear tire with 3.23 rear gears will act about like a 3.07(ish). A 3.55 would be ok on the street. The factory A833 4-speed doesn't have an overdrive. The Tremec 5-speed has a .68 OD so, for instance, if you had 3.91 rear gears it would "act like" 2.65 on the highway. Add in the tall tires and that drops below 2.50. Any lower (numerically) gear will likely cause the engine RPM to drop so low that the engine "lugs". So pick a gear that matches everything else!

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.